Question Questions about the Disney College program and professional-level CM positions.

Howdy;

I am looking at graduating with my B.S. in two years time. I am seriously considering applying for the Disney College program for undergraduates, hopefully followed by something from the Disney Paid Internship program with the hopes of building a professional level CM career or maybe even taking a shot at Imagineering.

I am very curious about the average income for a professional level CM, i.e. is it even worth it (believe me, I'm enough of a DL nut to take a cut in pay to be able to contribute something to the park, but im not THAT much of a nut... SoCal being notoriously expensive and all).

Also, if anyone has attempted the path I am considering I would be very grateful for any insights into the undergraduate/graduate Disney programs, especially what criteria they use to determine qualified applicants, etc.

Thanks

• Do you have a 27B/6?

Re: Questions about the Disney College program and professional-level CM positions.

I'm going to assume you're talking about the management-internship program. I didn't participate in that, but the one thing I can recommend you do when you get down there is this: Get a mentor.
    Get one, keep in touch with them, have regular meetings. Disney has LOTS of ways for people like you (ambitious, career-minded people who love the company) to find a way in.

(But don't forget to have fun, too).
    They are the Disney Princesses and their goal is world domination. -Mary McNamara | LA Times / AP

Fall 2004: Fantasyland Attractions

Re: Questions about the Disney College program and professional-level CM positions.

You might consider doing this at Walt Disney World instead, the standard of living in Orlando isn't nearly as high as in socal.

what exactly is it that you want to do?
    hi

Quote Originally Posted by cebollo
    what exactly is it that you want to do?
    I'm hoping to eventually take a shot at working for Imagineering.

To further that goal I'm looking at going through the Disney College Program with the emphasis on attractions, after which hopefully getting one of the Disney Professional Internships (next step after the College Program), also with an emphasis on attractions so that after both programs are complete I'll have a pretty intimate knowledge of whatever rides I get assigned to.

From there I'll go after an internship with Imagineering itself. I can draw, sculpt, paint, model (in AutoCAD and 3D Studio), and program in various different languages. I'm figuring to drop my whole portfolio on them as well as the two degrees I'll have at that point. Hopefully that'll qualify me for something, even if I have to work up from "Breakroom Peon".

The main thing I'm worried about is acceptance criteria and if there is an age requirement (I'm in my mid-Thirties).
    Trisha Jones: When are men going to learn that women want romance not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride?
    Brodie Bruce: Be fair, alright.... EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.
    Mallrats(1995)

• Mousketeer

Why don't you apply and see if they offer you a postition and if they do they will offer you a certain wage.

You need to get to the decision point, no one here can tell you what they will offer you, and only you can tell if that offer is worth it. But don't remove yourself from consideration because someone on some message board tells you they don't pay well or they don't want you. You need to go for it and then you can make a decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Yendorb
    Why don't you apply and see if they offer you a postition and if they do they will offer you a certain wage.

You need to get to the decision point, no one here can tell you what they will offer you, and only you can tell if that offer is worth it. But don't remove yourself from consideration because someone on some message board tells you they don't pay well or they don't want you. You need to go for it and then you can make a decision.
    agreed, plus salaries at any job are negotiable, especially if you are rocking the two degrees you plan on.

i've looked at the job descriptions for internships and it never said anything about age requirements.
    hi

• Do you have a 27B/6?

Quote Originally Posted by cebollo
    i've looked at the job descriptions for internships and it never said anything about age requirements.
    True that, one of my roommates for the program was a 60-year-old grandmother.
    They are the Disney Princesses and their goal is world domination. -Mary McNamara | LA Times / AP

• Do you have a 27B/6?

edited for double post

Quote Originally Posted by Bibliophile View Post
    True that, one of my roommates for the program was a 60-year-old grandmother.
    Thank you... that right there just pulled a huge worry off my back.

Now I just have to jump through whatever hoops are required by my university and Disney to get into the program.
    Trisha Jones: When are men going to learn that women want romance not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride?
    Brodie Bruce: Be fair, alright.... EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.
    Mallrats(1995)