Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• back in Austin

anti-FL attitude?

non-cast member here. Just a simple question for you Anaheim CM's, with apologies in advance to FL (or other) CM's who might read this.

First and foremost, I want to state that I love Al Lutz's updates. He's the main reason I'm at MiceChat in the first place. I really enjoy the behind-the-scenes coverage and I also appreciate his sense of humor. His updates always make me laugh.

His latest updates have got me to thinking, though. I find it discouraging that he seems devoted to maintaining a rift between CA and FL. I know he has to report on what he sees, so I don't mind if the updates contain what some brand as "negativity." I guess my question for all of you is this: does Al have a chip on his shoulder about WDW or is he simply being an accurate reporter in saying
    ...his East Coast pedigree certainly isn't winning him any points with the Disneylanders who are always quick to roll their eyes at anyone from Florida.
    ?

• CM for 4 years!

Re: anti-FL attitude?

I have no beefs with any Florida CMs. This may be an entertainment/parades issue with their CA/FL cast than in depts like foods or stores.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• Cast Member

Can't speak for the actual TDA people, but to me it's similar to the way a manager gets hired for a store, foods, attractions, or any other operational department.

If they're in-house(were a front line CM at one time) before making the move to management, they automatically demand more respect by default as opposed to someone hired from the outside like the Gap, etc., that doesn't understand what it's like to be a CM and what that entails.

In this instance in my opinion and strictly mine, I see it as he doesn't yet understand what it's like to be a DL CM, so that immediately translates to less respect. Doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's doing, obviously he's travelled pretty far in his tenure with the company.

It just takes time to earn respect.

As for the DL vs. WDW in general, what can you say they do the same thing to us too. I got razzed when I first came to the "Magic Kingdom" in Florida as I showed my Disneyland ID to get in. I got the "What are you doing here, you're in the wrong park."

Go figure, we're the original and more intimate, they're the oversized resort with so many things to offer.

Bye.

• back in Austin

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't picturing any generalized rift between WDW CM's and DL CM's -- I'm guessing the two groups don't come into much contact. I was really wondering about attitude towards someone like Ed Grier.

Do Anaheim CM's feel in general that the folks in FL don't really know how DL should be run?

• Rock Star Minion

...his East Coast pedigree certainly isn't winning him any points with the Disneylanders who are always quick to roll their eyes at anyone from Florida.
    So there might be some CMs (in TDA) who roll their eyes. They might be wrong, but I'm guessing that the general rolling-eyes reactions will be toward any ideas that assume that DL is anything like WDW.
    In effect:
    1. "That won't work here."
    2. "We have a different guest base."
    3. "We're smaller in area."
    4. "We don't have tens of thousands of guests in Disney-owned hotels."
    5. "Our second park really does suck."
    6. "We're already re-imagineering the Subs and not plowing them over."
    7. "The AP program contains over 600,000 AP holders an over half of them visit over 10 days per year." "Yes, that's a lot of free visits."
    8. Front-line CMs aren't 'just happy to work at DL.' They won't accept Florida wages."
    Etc.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• insufferable know-it-all

Its things like when the Company wants to change the SOP of Indy to be more like Countdown to Extinction, because, in their eyes, the rides are similar, so wouldn't it just be SO much easier if things were done the way they're done in FLorida. Nevermind that the ride was invented here and the SOP is just fine.

It's Florida people assuming that the way Florida does things is SOOOO superior to the way they've been done for decades in Walt's park. And so much has been changed... and gee, works great, doesn't it? (not)

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

I get a little irritated with the people who are so devoted to DL and argue about things like the castles. It's so funny that some people actually call the WDW castle ugly, it's different from the DL one, but far from ugly. It's all Disney, it isn't like the money is going different places there shouldn't be such a competition.

• back in Austin

^^ Well, it's interesting that there's as much distinction between the two as there is. Before I knew much about Disney, I assumed that the two parks were part of the same organization and that the same people ran both. It was a revelation to me that they're as independent as they are.

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    I get a little irritated with the people who are so devoted to DL and argue about things like the castles. It's so funny that some people actually call the WDW castle ugly, it's different from the DL one, but far from ugly. It's all Disney, it isn't like the money is going different places there shouldn't be such a competition.
    I completely agree! The whole rift is so silly. "My banana is bigger than your banana..." They are both the happiest places on earth! Why can't DL devotees just enjoy MK?

I think that all this negativity towards the MK just ruins the magic for others. Now, the next time I go there, part of me will be looking for all of the "sub-par" stuff that really doesn't matter. I bet that 99.9999% of visitors to MK have a wonderful, magical time (except for all of the obsessed Californians with a superiority complex). The parks are almost identical. I just don't get it.
    ** A photoshop princess **

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by anilorak View Post
    I bet that 99.9999% of visitors to MK have a wonderful, magical time (except for all of the obsessed Californians with a superiority complex).
    It only LOOKS like a superiority complex because everyone else has an inferiority complex toward us!
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

I'm from California, and I still don't get it!
    ** A photoshop princess **

• Married and happy again!!

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    It only LOOKS like a superiority complex because everyone else has an inferiority complex toward us!
    This is the type of attitude that make my trips to DL and the other DL's less frquent than too MK (I don't need it). It's this type of thinking that causes problems. Neither park is perfect (far from it, they all need work) and all are fun. We are all here to share our love of Disney but this way of treating one another is a bunch of B.S. I'm here to share my love of all things Disney but the negativity towards one park or the other (also any of the international parks for that matter) is all a bunch of childish bull****. I know everyone has a favorite park and on this site DL is most likely the majority of the peoples choice but there is just no excuse for running down others on this site that don't feel that way. Live and let live people. Ok I'll get off my soap box now.

By the way I would like to add this is not directed at anyone at all, I'm not trying to bust anyone's chops here. So please sediment don't take as a personal thing just trying to make a point. I'm sure you where making fun of situation. No hard feelings ment.
    Last edited by Jessicalover; 08-31-2006 at 03:58 PM. Reason: edited for content
    Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!

• back in Austin

I agree with you about the negativity that often surfaces here at MiceChat. I was asking specifically, however, about attitudes within TDA and the cast members at DL. There's overlap, because some of those folks are MiceChatters as well.

I'm asking specifically with regard to Al's updates: is the anti-WDW sentiment his alone, or is he simply reflecting the local Disney culture?

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicalover View Post
    This is the type of attitude that make my trips to DL and the other DL's less frquent than too MK (I don't need it). It's this type of thinking that causes problems. Neither park is perfect (far from it, they all need work) and all are fun. We are all here to share our love of Disney but this way of treating one another is a bunch of B.S. I'm here to share my love of all things Disney but the negativity towards one park or the other (also any of the international parks for that matter) is all a bunch of childish bull****. I know everyone has a favorite park and on this site DL is most likely the majority of the peoples choice but there is just no excuse for running down others on this site that don't feel that way. Live and let live people. Ok I'll get off my soap box now.
    I was just kidding.

• Married and happy again!!

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    I was just kidding.
    It's cool no need to explain. I guess I just made my point the wrong way. My only real point was there is no need to bash one another on the whole WDW vs. DL debate. To each there own I say. What someone else like another may not like and that's fine. I just hate the whole thing of bashing others not cool. I would like to say this isn't pointed at anyone person just a general statement and by the way no hard feelings sediment nothing personal at all.
    Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast