• Can see my car from here

Question for all Disney Costumed Characters

This question is for any of you (past or present) lucky enough to portray a Disney character at one of the parks. And specifically, a character that has a costume "head", where your own face can't be seen.

I always wondered-- do you smile when people are taking their pictures with you, even though no one can see your face?

And if you have to take a picture with a kid that just pulled your tail, stomped on your foot, or kicked you, do you make an ugly face when the parents snap their pic?

Tell us your stories!

(If you are a current character, you can disguise your thread by saying something like "A friend of mine used to play Mickey, and told me...")

• "Always On The Move..."

Re: Question for all Disney Costumed Characters

Never a Disney Character..(but OMG did I want to be)...but confession time...

"My name is AlohaStitch and at one time I portrayed Barney for a DVD release in South CA"

The horror, the embarassement, the ongoing....

shame!

(Especially since I couldn't then and can't now stand that Purple Dinosaur!! But it paid the bills that month. )
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• The Marvel Jedi

Whittier, California (just a half-hour from Disneyland)

I find myself wondering from time to time. It would be amusing to be able to see through the heads at all times.
    Passive-Aggressive Peanut Butter Sandwich. x_x

• I LOVE Disneyland :)

I used to work at the MK in WDW in Toontown. I worked Mickey load a lot and yes at times they had up to four Mickeys going! Anyways, I made friends with a lot of them and they said they would do or sorts of stuff to make the time go by. I got to put the head on once and it was strange. Its like wearing sunglasses when you look out.

It was VERY strange to see the characters talking in their costumes and seeing a room full of Mickey heads. One of the first days I was there I went to sit outside on break and I saw Cinderella smoking in her bloomers (she was all decked out from the top up) and talking on the cell phone! I had to call my mom, it was scary!

My friend was Eeyore, he always loved to back up into me saying back that *** up, it took a long time to get used to them talking and seeing them in costume without their heads on. It's not a bad job though, they work for 30 min and then they break for 30 min. Anyways, I have so many storys about working with them, it was an interesting time!

A freind of mine was one of the Chipmunks at WDW, and she loved it. Just by her nature I would find it hard to picture her with out a smile.

• Banned User

I bet there are some characters who make wacky faces, but really the photo shows their character face smiling.

I've never worked for Disney, but my other/weekend job I run/work a small costume character party company (e.g. Boris & Thunder down in sig line), and inside no, I don't really smile or make any faces while posing for pictures. I just think it's a waste of energy since they're not going to see it anyway.
    The only thing I would do different is regarding giving autographs...if the kid(s) are cool then they'll get a good signature, if they're being brats, I'd make the name look more like a doctor writing a prescription. (And btw no I don't perform as any licensed characters...)

• For You!

I'm surprised they'd let any character smoke - wouldn't they reek??

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• I LOVE Disneyland :)

Quote Originally Posted by BFJen View Post
    I'm surprised they'd let any character smoke - wouldn't they reek??
    I did too! But I saw it all the time! The face characters too, which you think that would be a no no.

• Cast Member

Last edited by NavyCopSB; 11-09-2006 at 01:59 AM.

used to smile just outta habit, but the habit's kinda broken now... haha lots of times I'm actually watching other people and not the camera... but I never intentionally give bad signatures, although that's not to say some haven't been given!

Back in the day, when I used to work for another mouse- I was Chuck E. Cheese for a few years, and yep, I did smile inside the suit when a picture was taken. It's just 2nd nature, you do it automatically, and I think people can tell anyways, like your supposed to smile when on the phone. Now as opposed to looking at the camera? Never, the flash is blinding after awhile. All I would do was make sure Chuck's 'sight-lines' where matched up with the camera, and I would be looking at other stuff.
    Chuck was not allowed to sign autographs, and nobody ever asked. I did one once, but it was awful- sorry kid- I have atrocious penmanship, especially when wielding a stupid bic pen with a matted mitt.
    The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

• WDW Fant! Premiere Cast

I always had the same emotions and facial expressions that I thought my "friend" would be feeling at that time. It always came across as a better show for the guests. Besides, why do what you're doing and not get into it? I believe it was Walt Disney who said "Animation is bringing personality into a character". If that's what the job title says, than that's what you do! Makes the day go by faster and be more fun anyway!!