Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's It Like?

• That's Hawt

What's It Like?

What is is like to work at Disneyland/world? I'm really curious!

For me, working at Disney World was like going to summer camp. I don't know what it's like now, but in the early 80's, you'd park in the employee's parking lot a ways from the park and take a bus in. The bus would let you out right behind the 20,000 Leagues lagoon. From there you would enter a big tunnel that went beneath the entire park. On the right would be the employee's cafeteria. You'd go straight ahead each day and go to the wardrobe department and get your costume and then on to the locker room. From there you'd pick a door and go up to your desinated land. Back then it was a really big "No No" to be caught in another land with a costume on that didn't belong in that land. (and no facial hair and your hair couldn't touch the collar of your shirt) Whatever job you did in the park, the rotation was frequent, so you never got tired of doing the job. You were constantly moving around. My best memories are walking through the park at night after closing, or getting there early in the morning before any guests arrived. Most of the lights and music were on 24 hours, so it was as if you had the whole park to yourself. It was a great place to work.

You have to really love Disneyland/Disneyworld to enjoy working there for what they pay. I worked at Disneyland for 3 months (summer) and had a great time. It was strickly for fun so maybe my mind thought was different. I was shocked on how much training I went through and the test they gave us in the end. The pay was pretty low considering you could make more bagging groceries. Upward mobility appears to be prevelent though. In all I would do it again, but that's one persons thought.

• I Hug My Tapirs

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald
    For me, working at Disney World was like going to summer camp. I don't know what it's like now, but in the early 80's, you'd park in the employee's parking lot a ways from the park and take a bus in. The bus would let you out right behind the 20,000 Leagues lagoon. From there you would enter a big tunnel that went beneath the entire park. On the right would be the employee's cafeteria. You'd go straight ahead each day and go to the wardrobe department and get your costume and then on to the locker room. From there you'd pick a door and go up to your desinated land. Back then it was a really big "No No" to be caught in another land with a costume on that didn't belong in that land. (and no facial hair and your hair couldn't touch the collar of your shirt) Whatever job you did in the park, the rotation was frequent, so you never got tired of doing the job. You were constantly moving around. My best memories are walking through the park at night after closing, or getting there early in the morning before any guests arrived. Most of the lights and music were on 24 hours, so it was as if you had the whole park to yourself. It was a great place to work.
    That's pretty much the way it still is! I did my College Program at MK, and it's still set up that way.
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

• Minion

i have worked at Disneyland now for 2 years and i still love the place. i love creating those "magical memories" for my guests each and every day. i work in stores and so they expect us to be sales people and push the guests into buying more than what they are at the time. but now i do stock in the stores and i love it. i love stock cuz im able to clean and put back together my store so that it looks great in the morning. you are always on the move and so your just not standing there doing nothing. but there is a lot of favoritism among the leads, managers, and other cm's. it seems like if you want to get anywhere in your department, then you have to kiss everyone's butt. but i have realized thats not how things should work and those butt kissers do not even deserve the job since they complain so much. but all in all, i wouldnt give up my job for the world. disneyland is truly a magical place and great things happen there everyday. i have met a whole lot of people and it has opened me out of my shell.
    "Something Wicked This Way Comes....."

"You know what you got to do when life brings you down, you swim. Just keep swimming, swimming swimming......" ---Dory

"A Princess in search of her Prince Charming.....or close to it....If you think you are him or know him please send a message or resume......"

• Gloomy Day, probably rain

Quote Originally Posted by MiceMan
    What is is like to work at Disneyland/world? I'm really curious!
    Good: It was my first job and for me it was just one very long party. All we did was party. Party after work, before work, during work (ooops did I say during! :devil: ) I was 18, meet a lot of people, did a lot of fun/stupid things, and it was great.

Bad: Towards the end before I quit, I just couldn't take it anymore. My dept., Parking Lot, was getting the worst guest complaints because moral was so low. We had great Leads (did they bring those back?) but horrible/terrible/mean supervisors (above the Lead). They were this group of "suits" who didn't ever "walk the lot" and never saw a guest until a complaint came up. They just didn't care no matter what your problem was. I also hated paying union dues! No offense to you Union people but as a P/T it did nothing for me to pay those dues except I'd be 200 buck short!

The Upside:
    Disney made me the professional I am today. I mean that. It took me growing up to really see what they had taught me and how useful it is in the work place. Many of my core work values are based on the Disney tradition i.e. treat a customer like a guest, always be polite even if they are rude, never say they are wrong just say it in a different way so that they realize they were wrong, etc. Lots of good stuff like that. Plus, I can still say it was probably the funnest, craziest, best time of my youth.

Just to be sarcastic:
    Man, I think I'm making MYSELF sick!!! LOL

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    I loved my tenure there! The magic doesn't wear off- I got a thrill out of it all. Sometimes the guests can get on your nerves, but the other CM's are really cool and they all have great stories to tell. The pay isn't great and the casting process is pretty rigorous, so usually the people that make it really want to be there and really enjoy it. It's hard work and the best is always expected of you, but its really rewarding to know that you are helpong to create great memories. And despite rumours, I think the Disney company is great to work for and a lot of pride comes with that. I still work for them, just a different line of business (motion pictures) and the theme parks will always have a special place in my heart. I wanted to work there since I was a little kid- if you ever get the opportunity, do it!
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

The Cast Members at the Disneyland Resort are the best and most easy to talk to, informative and great people ive ever met. They really make my day at the resort and the always have time to talk or get something you need or want. I went yesterday and most of the CM's at the resort know me or have seen me sometime during my 3 year Annual Pass run and a-couple know me and i know them and we can hang out and it is always a great experince when I go there and can go to a theme park where it is always clean and always inviting and very high above other theme parks standards. I can take my friends or relatives there and they are always impressed by the quality and professionalism of the cast and shows. So thank you for all the cast does to make experiences magical and always fun. oh yah Hi to Justin who is at Splash/ Mark Twain/Fantasmic.
    Current DL Entertainment Technical Services

Former DCA Attractions CM

• That's Hawt

Thanks for your replies ... you are holding me over untill I get accepted to UC Irvine!
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• Do I seem familiar?

My experience was fun, especially in the beginning because I was getting to know everyone and there were quite a few people in my age range (I started before turning 21). However, a lot of my friends left and by the time I left, the drama made the atmosphere kinda muddy. It's not the same for everyone. I think if I wasn't such a visible person, I probably wouldn't have been a target.

But MiceMan, make sure you concentrate on studies and don't let working at DLR consume you! It's tough, I've met a lot of people who get swallowed by the culture. It's not that it's bad to be engulfed in something you enjoy, just make sure you can stay focused on the big picture and why you're going to school.

• That's Hawt

Quote Originally Posted by invader pearl
    But MiceMan, make sure you concentrate on studies and don't let working at DLR consume you! It's tough, I've met a lot of people who get swallowed by the culture. It's not that it's bad to be engulfed in something you enjoy, just make sure you can stay focused on the big picture and why you're going to school.
    I know why I want to go to college ... to become an imagineer! Not really, I want to major in structural engineering.
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• This Maid Loves it!!

Being an attractions CM...I just simple love what I do..even though I have the Disney scars, the smells, visions, memories, and my friends there..I don't know what I would be doing, cause I would probably be unhappy somewhere else! I don't care if im referred to as a 'Button Pusher'...hey, "I make Ride Go!" and im dog gone proud!!I get an adrenaline rush if I have to remove guests for doing dumb things, I enjoy going to Mansion and Pooh outings, talking about Disney outside of the resort with my friends, including Disneyland RR Guy, cause he's very informative and made me fall in love with the park even more!! I love the discounts..especially during the holidays, and shopping at the off-site stores!! And I love these special cast events and being part of an opening of an attraction and show!! Can't wait for the 50th celebration, either!!
    'When hinges creek in doorless chambers..and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls..whenever candlelights flicker..where the air is deathly still..That is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.'

*Space Mountain re-launches July 15 2005*

^V^ "I Make Ride Go!" ^V^

• That's Hawt

Good For You! I have always loved Disneyland ... discovering this sight has only made me want to experience everything even more ..... I just love it!

• Leave 'em wanting more!

[QUOTE=Disneychica04]i have worked at Disneyland now for 2 years and i still love the place. i love creating those "magical memories" for my guests each and every day. [QUOTE]

Good Lord you sound like an article from The Disneyland Line :devil:
    ~ Tasty, yet morally ambiguous! ~

• Leave 'em wanting more!

Quote Originally Posted by HMMaid2001
    [including Disneyland RR Guy, cause he's very informative
    So DLRRGuy is for real. His posts are often really ambiguous and my wife and I often wonder if he's telling the whole truth. It's nice to know that their are CMs on these boards who might make a nice friend! Jeeze, maybe I should get out in the park and meet more of my fellow CMs because the people I work directly with are... socially retarded
    ~ Tasty, yet morally ambiguous! ~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast