• I may be nutz...but...

Character pics and autographs

I am not sure how many of you have experienced this, but I have a number of times and find it interesting. I am a baby boomer, in my early 50's, look like I am in my 30's and I love to get the Disney autograph books and get them signed and have my picture taken with the characters. Inevitably, I will get in a line for a character and usually all goes well. Then there are the times and they are getting more frequent, that someone with a child will come up to the line and ask if it is the end of the line and I tell them yes, and the parent guides the child into the line in front of me. I will tell the parent that I AM in line and they need to get behind me. The parent will usually give me a look of astonishment and say well, "isn't this for children? You don't have a child with you." I smile and tell them that no, I like gettingmy picture with said character and the autograph is for me and they get kinda upset sometimes. That is what I am wondering. Why are they upset? Sometimes they even say, "If the character runs out of time and only a certain number of people more can get the picture then you need to get out of line so my child can have his/her picture taken with the character." Sometimes they say it very sternly with a dirty look like I am denying their child an autograph and picture. Wow!!!!!! Am I wrong to stay in line then if this occurs and take my turn like everyone else, or should I back off and let the kiddie have thier turn. It is like, just because I am an adult now, I cannot do these thiongs that are supposed to be for kids????? Huh?????? What is up with that? I am not sure quite how to handle that situation well. Usually I just smile and stay in line and everyone gets their turn. What is the right thing to do? Has anyone else had this happen or am I the only gigantic nerd who likes to have my pic taken with characters and collect autographs?
    sues

• New Old Member

I would do the same as you. People have to remember that "kids" of all ages go to Disney. We all pay the same money to get in and be all the "kid" that we want to be.

• The Ghost Poster.

Re: Character pics and autographs

Heh, I've seen it at Disneyland. I don't usually go up and take my piture with a character, but.. Sometimes when I'm waiting for someone by the restroom I see some interesting things.

One time, I saw a very long line for the take your picture with Mickey. I immediately saw some adults getting in line with no children. It's fine with me, everyone is a child at heart. Then I saw some faimilies with little children asking and arguing with the adults with no children to get out of the line. I'm thinking " Why can't people just wait for their own turn already? Is it THAT important that Adults with no children get their picture with the characters? Is it against the Law? "

It's really quite crazy actually. Every person is a kid at heart but most take life too seriously. I think if you want your picture with Mickey or any other character, go for it. This is DISNEYLAND. A place where everyone forgets their worries and are a kid again.

" Doombuggies: The scariest transportation around! "

• Directly directed

I've had Ariel be rude to me because she thought I was too old. So now I get my picture taken with all the characters except Ariel. And my Dad ALWAYS gets his picture taken with goofy.

I'll be 18 in January, and some of the princesses give me and my friends hardly any attention at all. I've noticed that most of the time it's Belle, which saddens me because she's my favorite princess. This is usually at Ariel's Grotto that we get sort of shunned. It may have been that we were there too often during the summer, but it's really the best way to see the characters (and this was before the impossibility of getting through the Fantasy Faire lines). I really don't like it when the princesses come to our table say "Oh, hello, have a nice dinner, goodbye" and that's often when I've had full intention of taking pictures with them. I've also had people sneak in front of me when I'm in line for pictures and stuff, and it's annoying. I don't mind much since I give them the benefit of the doubt that they visit far less than I do (the chances of someone who butts ahead going to Disneyland every week seem slim in my opinion), but if you don't have someone who looks like they're under 11 it's hard to get by people. In the Animation Studio I've had the most trouble cause I don't have a little kid I can shove into the arms of a character like most people there.

It's just irritating when even the characters are grudgingly nice. Maybe it's because they can smell the fact that I want to be one of them on me and don't want the competition. XD

A lot of the princesses are really nice, though. And Mary Poppins was the ultimate best all around. She seemed like she stepped out of the movie and was very sweet to me and my friend when we went up to her. Usually Ariel is very nice, and has a great time seeing one of my friends who is very obsessed with her. The fur characters usually start up interaction with us, especially in the animation studio.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

This has happened when I got a pic with Goofy. People forget that Disney isn't just for kids, especially just for their kid.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Interesting. I have never seen that happen nor has it happened to me. So I don’t know how much I can contribute but I can say that I have taken pics with characters by myself plenty of times and I just turned 30. I don’t care what people think. My sister LOVES the white rabbit but refuses to take a pic with him because she is embarassed.

I do have a small child and I surely wouldn’t have said anything if an adult was ahead of me by themself.

• I'll pencil this in later

Your never to oldto meet the happiest people on earth! Tell them your in line They should be able to get over that. come on it's Disney!! you never grow up :P

• I am number 4 of 999

Talking Re: Character pics and autographs

I am a character fanatic and I would be SO mad if someone pulled that crap with me! I paid the same thousands of dollars that they did to fly there and stay for a week and park hop with the intention of seeing Disney characters!! The Princesses have all been very nice, other than asking my boyfriend and I where OUR Princesses are. We were like "YOU are OUR Princesses!!!" hee hee Also, at Disneyland, I was waiting for Minnie and all of these kids kept jumping on top of her without waiting their turn so she literally side stepped past all of them and shooed them away so I could get a picture and an autograph. THAT was pretty awesome!! It's my fave Disneyland picture to date!