• Former Cast Member

First Weekend Of Training

Well I went through my first week of training, as for me , really it was a refresher course, since I worked at this location before. One thing I do have to say is this and it is really a big disappointment and has left me dismayed. It is the cast members that work here. Talk about being flat out rude is a major understatement. I do not intend to make life long friendships with a lof of these younger kids, but come on, it is called common courtesy just to say hello to a newer cast member. They look at the new cast members with so much contempt, it is pitiful. I remember back in the day, when I first was hired at Disney, back in the caveman days when the majority of today's cast members were not born yet, a cast member was made to feel welcomed by everyone, just with a hello and smile. It was suck a warm feeling. Today that is totally non existent, except in rare cases. It also troubles me to see these cast members violating company policy, by constantly looking at their cell phones and text messaging, even on stage. That is there only and primary concern it seems to me. It proves to me that the majority of these kids do not have any sense of responsibility nor care about the Disney company and what it stands for. Again , I say the majority. You DO have that small minority that take pride in the positions with in the company. Overall, I came in with very high expectations and of course they were dashed. The bright spot was that a few cast members I had worked with back in 2000 were still there and it was good to see a familiar face. I really do not know if it is really worth working 7 days a week in this type of scenario and with the bussing situation extremely labor intensive and not enough bussers to man the restaurant, translating into a person doing the job of 2-3 people. I ask myself is it really worht it. I have to make a decision before the end of this week. Oh well!!! I should have picked attractions.

• Dont make me unfriend you

Re: First Weekend Of Training

Not to excuss their lack of welcome, however, with their high turn over, I bet they have new guys coming all the time who only last a few days. It might be hard to get excited about a new guy when they never last long. Already you sound like you might not last the week.

Yes, I know circle argument. High turn over = lots of new hires = lack of excitement/welcome = high turn over, ect.

• Former Cast Member

I think I should have really thought this through before reapplying, as far as the ramifications go of working 2 jobs, 7 days a week, with no time off for R&R, recently getting married and leaving the wife at home alone while I am working, etc...

The last time I was at the park , I was working 80 hours a week between both jobs and I did this for almost 2 yrs. That physically wiped me out over time. Now, although, this is not 80 hours a week, it is still 7days a week. What I will be doing is very physically demanding and it wears on your body, with the constant moving around, walking, bending, lifting, etc.. I can handle this per say, but I am not in my 20's anymore and my energy level can be impacted by this strenuous work load. I should have selected attractions, instead of foods. But, I thought, by selecting foods again, that I can have that opp to move up the ladder again, like I did last time in short order, due to the turn over rate. I talked with one of the managers regarding the opps and she told me that since I am part time only, it will be more difficult, so hearing that was a let down. So, now I figure, why bust my butt, bussing, if no future opps exist, as opposed to enjoying easier work, such as attractions, where I can just enjoy my stay at Disney. I emailed my manager to see if I can be recast into another line of business. Now it is a wait and see situation.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

So sorry to read of this. And I know what you mean - as a guest, I have seen CM's looking at cells and texting myself - it's 'no bueno'. Cell phones should be put to vibrate.

Hope all works out for you. The increase in money is good, but the new wife might be better.

• Former Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    So sorry to read of this. And I know what you mean - as a guest, I have seen CM's looking at cells and texting myself - it's 'no bueno'. Cell phones should be put to vibrate.

Hope all works out for you. The increase in money is good, but the new wife might be better.

I hear you on that one, no amount of $$ comes close to the one you love.

• Roar!

i'm sorry you got that kind of response from your fellow cast members at the PI. as stated earlier you just have to understand that there is a high turnover rate, and its kinda hard to get close to someone who you know will be gone soon. though that doesn't excuse not even getting a hello and a smile.

it also iritates me to know end that some people txt on stage. there can only be so much down to stop this kind of behavior.

but don't leave. the PI will benefit from having a good, solid cm such as yourself

• Former Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by matterhornmaniac View Post
    i'm sorry you got that kind of response from your fellow cast members at the PI. as stated earlier you just have to understand that there is a high turnover rate, and its kinda hard to get close to someone who you know will be gone soon. though that doesn't excuse not even getting a hello and a smile.

it also iritates me to know end that some people txt on stage. there can only be so much down to stop this kind of behavior.

but don't leave. the PI will benefit from having a good, solid cm such as yourself

Thanks, I appreciate that. My wife wants me to stick it out, in hopes of seeing if there are ny long term opportunities to keep an eye out for. So, I will.

• Banned User

Attractions rocks, at least at DCA.