Thread: "Walking Time"

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

"Walking Time"

I was a CM in the 70's and 80's. I visited the park again recently - and I'm wondering what it's like now for employees just to get to and from their posts.
    "Back in the day", I'd roll in off of Harbor Boulevard about 20 minutes before shift - clock in at the Harbor House timeshack, go down a ramp and make a short right to my locker room. During the time I worked there, Space Mountain was built and additional locker space was added there. Anyway, change of clothes and a brisk walk and I could be on the job, on time.
    And we were supposed to leave the job site (if feasible) 15 minutes before the scheduled end of the shift ("walking time"). You were supposed to be able to get back to your locker, shower (a necessity in a food service job), change clothes, turn in your costume for a clean one, and get back to Harbor House in that 15 minutes.
    Then it was clock out - a quick walk back to A or B lot
    "occasionally C" if you weren't lucky.
    What's it like now? From what I could see, it must be a lot more inconvenient -
    Just curious -
    Radiobarry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Minion

The friends I have at the resort speak quite fondly of their walk time.

Your walk time is 20 minutes before shift ends. The costuming building has since moved, only the old timers use the one behind space mtn. After exiting harbor point, it's a few minute shuttle ride, and your in your car and gone before your scheduled end time.
    However, the ease of this helps if your on mainstreet. Working at Splash Moutain or Toontown, not as much.
    The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

• Disney Nerd

well we do have our own costuming for fantasyland and toontown. right behind toontown. this is why toontown shifts are the best. we also have a cast member parking lot, behind the structure (that although, you have to walk/hike to it, it is still faster than parking at klot!)

So even at toontown, you could get your 20 min walk...get to costuming to change, and walk to your car, and be driving out on your off time. i know some people can make it out before, but i like to walk slow, and usually pick up a buddy since i dont like hiking alone.

• Skipping on Main Street

Under the stairs at Main St. train station
    I love walk time
    Well Secluded, I see all!!!

Disney Paranormal Society

• insufferable know-it-all

When I went back the second time, I missed my old locker above cast cutters. I hated the day lockers.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Minion

Cast deployment system (CDS) in my area now allows us 25 minute walk time. Sometimes that means you can get to harbor pointe by 20 minutes before your off time, and k lot by 10 minutes before your off time. Hey if someone lived close by they could be paid for being home.

IMO the new costuming building is pretty nice. Its real nice being able to hand pick your costume rather than someone else doing it. However the major disadvantage is all the lockers are day lockers. Sheesh cant they award cms with like 1 year experience their own locker? That would reduce the # of lockers needed by like 75%...

Not all lockers are day lockers in the new Costuming building. Security has permanent assigned lockers.

• Banned User

At Anheuser busch.. The lockers are in a covered area.. costuming is back stage after the parking lots.. (You use the same 2 costumes every other day.... washed yourself of course..) you time out in the palce you work Va Phone... My sister works at a resuraunt in fron t of the locations break room... so she can get in and out quick... since her locker (no over night anymore..) is right there..

• Disney Dream 10/23!!

I love walk time. It means that I can be changed and in the car by the time i am supposed to be off, instead of another 20 minutes on company property.