Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• As I said, persuade me.

Live in Long Beach?

I'm curious to anyone who lives in Long Beach and/or goes to school at CSULB... I might, most likely will be attending in the fall for the start of my BA/BFA in Studio Arts, and I have yet to visit the campus or city... could ppl give me some insights?

• Minion

Re: Live in Long Beach?

Everyone from my High School went there, so I didn't. Long Beach is like anywhere else, there are good and bad parts. Lots of places for you to hang out on the weekends, I'm not a beach person, but they're close by as well.

A lot of people go to the Pike to hang out.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian View Post
    Everyone from my High School went there, so I didn't. Long Beach is like anywhere else, there are good and bad parts. Lots of places for you to hang out on the weekends, I'm not a beach person, but they're close by as well.

A lot of people go to the Pike to hang out.

not much of a beach person????

I'm not much of a desert person. I can't wait to move. :-p

• Gay Man

I love Long Beach. I've lived here on and off for 15 years and own a home in one of the historic districts of the City. It is a really diverse city full of interesting restaurants, shopping areas and cultural happenings. Long Beach has the 3rd largest gay population in California, and active Cambodian community and many other diverse populations. It is a very large city with great areas and not so great areas, but it tends to be one of the most affordable places to live on the coast. I'm not much of a beach person, but I could never live inland because of the "stale" air quality. I need the ocean close by.

The other thing I find attractive to LB is the proximity to other places and the availability of public transportation. I take the train to Hollywood, Pasadena or Downtown LA often. If I want to drive, Disneyland is 20 minutes from my doorstep, Downtown LA is 20 mins away and Hollywood is 30 mins. I find myself being MUCH more active doing new and different things living in LB than I did living "beyond the orange curtain". I love it here.

• Former Cast Member

CSULB has a very nice campus, though very big. A lot of the classes are located on top of a big hill and the rest, at the bottom of the hill. When I went there I parked in the lower lot and had a major trek to the upper campus. this was back in 1977, so I know things have probably changed since then.

• Former Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by Not Afraid View Post
    I love Long Beach. I've lived here on and off for 15 years and own a home in one of the historic districts of the City. It is a really diverse city full of interesting restaurants, shopping areas and cultural happenings. Long Beach has the 3rd largest gay population in California, and active Cambodian community and many other diverse populations. It is a very large city with great areas and not so great areas, but it tends to be one of the most affordable places to live on the coast. I'm not much of a beach person, but I could never live inland because of the "stale" air quality. I need the ocean close by.

The other thing I find attractive to LB is the proximity to other places and the availability of public transportation. I take the train to Hollywood, Pasadena or Downtown LA often. If I want to drive, Disneyland is 20 minutes from my doorstep, Downtown LA is 20 mins away and Hollywood is 30 mins. I find myself being MUCH more active doing new and different things living in LB than I did living "beyond the orange curtain". I love it here.

Belmont Shores is also a nice area of Long Beach as well. Good ol 2nd Street.

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

being an artist, you are going to want to look at the Downtown area of LB. There is a huge art district called the "East Village". Your going to have all kinds of coffee houses, art studios, bars and clubs to hang out at. During the summer, there is always something going on down there to quench your artistic thirst.

Depending on the area, you don't want to live above 4th or north of Long Beach Blvd. BTW, parking is going to blow.

The Pike isn't really someplace I would hang out at after the sun goes down. Even with the area cleaning up, there is still an unsavory crowd that comes down to hang out at the bars and clubs. You're better off taking the bus to 2nd street or hitting the small bars and clubs downtown. The gay clubs that line Broadway are also really good to turn to.

there is also a huge music scene revolving around a few of the well known small clubs.

You will want to have a bike for your local jaunts. The LB bus system is really good though and hits a lot of the popular areas.

I love my area.
    Last edited by justjohn; 03-23-2007 at 01:17 PM.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

These are the two local papers that serve the area I live in and have all of the social events and housing ads.
    http://www.gazettes.com/
    Last edited by justjohn; 03-23-2007 at 03:07 PM.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Long Beach is a great town!! I love it. Like it says up above, there are some good parts and bad parts but all around the school is pretty nice.
    justjohn gave some really good advice but I think you'll enjoy it if you decide to make that move.
    I'll welcome you ahead of time!!

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sanguinepoppet View Post
    not much of a beach person????

I'm not much of a desert person. I can't wait to move. :-p
    BTW, its not a beach town in the traditional sense. We have the beach area, but since we are in a harbor, we don't get waves. When you want to go to the beach to sunbathe, you will most likely end up towards the beaches of Belmont Shore. Also, on a good summer day, the sky will be FILLED with kite surfers playing around. It's extremely beautiful then.

Second street during the summer has events going on just about every weekend too. It ranges from dog parades (we're one of the top 10 dog friendly cities) to "Taste ofs" to sidewalk art shows and such.

Did I mention I love my area?
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Oh wow... thank you guys. :-D These tips are so helpful! I can't wait to visit and everything before I get settled down.

Know of any one looking for a roommate? The cost of living there... what does it tend to be?

• insufferable know-it-all

Honestly? Why don't you start with the dorms. CSULB has pretty decent dorms, and a semester there will buy you enough time to look around for a better situation. Long Beach neighborhoods vary from block to block, so it's best to know the area first (or at least ask resident Long Beach expert, Not Afraid, about any addresses you're considering... she knows the place like the back of her hand!)

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

Long Beach resident and current 49'er here!

I love the area and the school. The campus is big, but not nearly as big as UCLA or UCI. A couple nice things about the school...the scenery is really nice-we've just planted some more cherry blossom trees that are gorgeous when in bloom, you pretty much always get a great salty breeze from the shore, and it never really gets too crowded or too deserted. It's also known to be an "outdoor museum" since there are pieces of art all around...like scupltures and such.

My roommate and I both go to Beach...I'm a Communications major and she's Graphic Arts. Both of us enjoy our programs, but just be weary, these are highly impacted majors...meaning they're hard to get classes for and may have additional requirements.

Our apartment is in Belmont Shore...a wonderful little area of Long Beach, and has Second Street, which has great stores and restaurants and bars. I found the apartment by driving around and scouting for "For Rent" signs. Just a hint, Sundays are real-estate days, so those are when you're going to have the best luck finding open houses and such.

PM me if you have any other questions!

• Dont make me unfriend you

I don't know the Long Beach area, but I just wanted to second the "live in the school's dorms for the first year". You will meet more people and can form stronger bonds living in the same dorms. Then the following year you and a few new friends can rent someplace together.

It seemed that people who became friends living in the dorms together had the strongest friendships in college. (in general)

• Hedonist

Another thing about Long Beach is there are lot's of small apartment complexes, fourplexes, and duplexes that are privately owned. This means there are some real deals rent-wise if you're willing to do some legwork - pick up a grunion gazette (local paper) to find the best listings, and just drive around neighborhoods you like looking for "For Rent" signs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast