• My laughing place

Any security cast members?

Hi..I was just hired to the security department and I have Traditions on 5-12-07. I have some questions for any security cast members that might post here.

How many hours should I expect part time?
    Are there areas where they normally start brand new people?

Thanks..
    Mark

Contribute to my Johari or start your own!!
    http://kevan.org/johari?view=MarkS01

Re: Any security cast members?

You should be able to get close to 40 hours. If you don't get scheduled 40 and want more hours just make sure scheduling is aware you want the hours. If you make it known you are willing to pick up hours and you come through for scheduling if they call you to pick up a shift, they will remember you and continue to call you. On the other hand if you consistantly turn them down they will stop calling. This goes for overtime as well.

As far as where you will work.....right now it seems all the newhires are being trained for the backstage gates....Harbor Pointe, Hollywood, etc.
    There will be opportunities to get additional training. There is specialized training for the Hotels, Parks, Motors, Downtown Disney, etc. and then there are the premium positions such as Bikes, K9, Communications, Main Gate, etc. which require that you've been in Security for a length of time before you apply.

Hope this info helps.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by 10-8atDisneyland View Post
    You should be able to get close to 40 hours. If you don't get scheduled 40 and want more hours just make sure scheduling is aware you want the hours. If you make it known you are willing to pick up hours and you come through for scheduling if they call you to pick up a shift, they will remember you and continue to call you. On the other hand if you consistantly turn them down they will stop calling. This goes for overtime as well.
    Don't know if it applies to Security but Attractions had a "I want to work" form that you had you fill out weekly (after schedules came out) showing your scheduled hours and what additional ones you were available for.

Letting the real-time scheduler know that you are available and then taking anything they offer is a good idea since they will tend to call you first if they know it will help them avoid making other fruitless calls.

Note, however, that there are policies that keep them from offering you too many hours to keep you from slipping into a higher grade. Don't know hoe often that is applied in Security, however.
    Last edited by JeffYardDog; 05-07-2007 at 10:33 AM.

• That Guy

Off-Topic ?

Do the K9 CMs take the dogs home at night?

I know that Law Enforcement Officers take their partners home and they live with their handlers 24/7, I was wondering what DLRs take was on this.

Our K9's stay at Circle D Ranch when not in service.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post
    Off-Topic ?

Do the K9 CMs take the dogs home at night?

I know that Law Enforcement Officers take their partners home and they live with their handlers 24/7, I was wondering what DLRs take was on this.
    The Security people are required to live in the kennel with their dog.

Get to know your schedulers and always ask for extra hours. Take overtime when they call. Get trained in as many areas that you can as they become available. Summer is here and you should get plenty of hours, come fall it will get tougher.

PS.. have fun with grad nights....

• My laughing place

You should be able to get close to 40 hours. If you don't get scheduled 40 and want more hours just make sure scheduling is aware you want the hours. If you make it known you are willing to pick up hours and you come through for scheduling if they call you to pick up a shift, they will remember you and continue to call you. On the other hand if you consistently turn them down they will stop calling. This goes for overtime as well.

As far as where you will work.....right now it seems all the newhires are being trained for the backstage gates....Harbor Pointe, Hollywood, etc.
    There will be opportunities to get additional training. There is specialized training for the Hotels, Parks, Motors, Downtown Disney, etc. and then there are the premium positions such as Bikes, K9, Communications, Main Gate, etc. which require that you've been in Security for a length of time before you apply.

Hope this info helps.
    Thanks for the info..it helps a lot. I'm not sure how many hours I can handle because I have a full time job as well but I will work as much as I can.
    I'm not sure if you can answer this, but I thought I'd give it a shot.
    How much seniority is required before you can advance into positions such as bikes,k9 and communications ?
    Mark

It's not so much seniority for the premium positions. Usually they require that you've been in security for at least 6 months with no attendance or disciplinary issues. Beyond that, it's a matter of a manager approving your application to the position. If a manager approves of you applying to the position then you go through the interview process and from there you either get the position or you don't. As with any other job, getting the position has a lot to do with how you interview. Of course other factors do come into play, for instance they might give the position to someone who has been in security for several years as opposed to someone new just because the person who's been here longer has a better knowledge of the operation. On the other hand, if you interview well and others don't, you may get the position. They are looking for different things in people for different positions...for K9, if you've been around dogs all your life you might have an edge over someone who never had a dog but has been in security for 15 years.

• My laughing place

It's not so much seniority for the premium positions. Usually they require that you've been in security for at least 6 months with no attendance or disciplinary issues. Beyond that, it's a matter of a manager approving your application to the position. If a manager approves of you applying to the position then you go through the interview process and from there you either get the position or you don't. As with any other job, getting the position has a lot to do with how you interview. Of course other factors do come into play, for instance they might give the position to someone who has been in security for several years as opposed to someone new just because the person who's been here longer has a better knowledge of the operation. On the other hand, if you interview well and others don't, you may get the position. They are looking for different things in people for different positions...for K9, if you've been around dogs all your life you might have an edge over someone who never had a dog but has been in security for 15 years.
    Wow..you have a lot of good information !! Thanks !! Do you mind being my go to person for any security related questions ? I really appreciate the help
    Mark

Does anyone know if one can apply for K9 without working for Security already?
    I have a lot of security experience, am a Dog Control Officer and am training to be a Dog Trainer.

• Still wants to be a cat!

I believe that the K9 units are part of the Anaheim Police Department, not DL's security.
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy999 View Post
    I believe that the K9 units are part of the Anaheim Police Department, not DL's security.
    I seriously doubt it.

They are (well the humans) in Disney uniforms, not APD.

And because the Disney Security are no more than guards, I doubt that their K9's can be used for attack/apprehension purposes like Police dogs. They may have a desired intimidating effect and be used for their hearing and smell, especially at night, and for drug control.

• Cast Member since 2005

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy999 View Post
    I believe it is a premium position and you have to be a security CM first. The way security has been hiring lately getting ready for summer if you want a job in the department you can probably get it.

WildBill

A loyal Disney fan & member of the Class of 2005!