Crazy about Disneyland?

Why do you think so many people are intrigued about Disneyland? Yes I'm talking to you because normal people wouldn't log onto Miceage/Micechat to read about Disney. I'm just as guilty, heck I got a job there just to see how things work backstage. Is it a childhood thing that we haven't outgrown?

Quote Originally Posted by snappy
    Why do you think so many people are intrigued about Disneyland? Is it a childhood thing that we haven't outgrown?
    I think you nailed it for me, except my first time at DL was when I was 21 years old - I had always wanted to go when I was little, but we never could afford it. So finally I went myself, and I just about lost it. I've been about 22 times in the last 13 years, and I never get tired of it. So I guess you could say I continously try and re-live my childhood.......LOL!
    Go see Billy Hill and the Hillbillies!!

• That's Hawt

I think the reason that Disneyland never lost it's magic for a lot of us is because there is something that you can never forget. For me, it was going from an unhappy childhood to a happy place. I think that is why I love disneyland so much. I could go daily and never get tired of the sights, smells, and (somewhat depleated) rides. I love it and I will never get enough. When I have kids I will take them to Disneyland and hope that they will feel the same way. But I definitely think it takes a special breed.

Disneyland love

Does anyone remember standing in line for the sub's and smelling the exhaust from the subs? I do and it's still brings happy thoughts. What reminds you of the Happiest Place on earth??

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries
    I have to agree with the Magical Childhood feelings. I've been "addicted" since my first trip at 5. And I've passed that addiction down to my kids

The musty chlorine Pirates smell always gets me and my boys, they will ALWAYS say "it smells like pirates here!!" when they get a whiff of that!

When I was little and white mini lights were so prevelant in Christmas decorating seeing white mini lights in trees would totally remind me of the park.

Also, certain lawnmowers and the boys and I are like "Autopia!!!"

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• It's all nonsense

It's not really a childhood thing for me. It's always been more of a way to escape reality to go into a world of fantasy and imagination. it all really does feel magical. i think that alot of adults out there lose sight of their imagination and that feeling of fantasy.

//ok that was all really sappy...aw who cares

The smell thing is really interesting. Whenever I smell an old diesel bus go by, I'm instantly, if briefly, transported back to Subs, too. And the musty smell of Pirates is unique. One whiff and all my childhood memories of DL flood back.

My other opinion, and it's one I have no way of proving, is that Disneyland took all kinds of 2-dimensional fantasies from their cartoons, books and movies, and made them real. For the first time, you could ply the rivers of the old west in a steamboat, travel under the polar ice caps in what looked like real submarines, and ride a real monorail. The make-believe becomes real only inside the berm, and you're a participant in the magic. And the smells, sights, and sounds we've talked about in this thread make it more real still.

Compare this to all subsequent parks (other than the Disneyland-type Magic Kingdoms) and they all turn this rule around by taking reality and trying to turn it into fantasy. EPCOT certainly bears this out. Future World and World Showcase are reality, made hyper-real through showmanship and theming, but it isn't fantasy, is it? Disney-MGM is Hollywood, a real place, made hyper-real. It's fun, but it never achieves the suspension of dis-belief that Disneyland does. And DCA might be the crowning acheivement in this theory of reversal. It tried to make the whole state of California hyper-real, and it is a failure that no amount of money will ever fix.

• Greetings, Program!

Quote Originally Posted by snappy
    Does anyone remember standing in line for the sub's and smelling the exhaust from the subs? I do and it's still brings happy thoughts. What reminds you of the Happiest Place on earth??
    I know what you mean, but....ugh, I had to INHALE that exhaust all day for about a month.

I'd gladly take a sniff though if it meant riding that glorious ride again.

• Greetings, Program!

Wow...a thread about Disney smells. Trippy. Yeah, there are certain scents that really only exist there. The Sub lagoon has it's own scent (primarily exhaust). The water however has a very distinct scent to it, as does the Small World canals, Splash Mountain.....

Sigh....makes me want to buy an AP again. Haven't had one of those since about '95.

• Greetings, Program!

Quote Originally Posted by dsnylndmom
    When I was little and white mini lights were so prevelant in Christmas decorating seeing white mini lights in trees would totally remind me of the park.
    In my complex here in HB, they string up whte lights in the trees around the pool areas during the holidays. Has a very Disney vibe to it. Makes nighttime walks very relaxing.