• Sock Puppet

Stupid Cm Behavior

Ok, this post will probably stir up some debate here, so why not. I am a fromer CM and have worked at numerous food locations since 1977 and as late as 2001. In my early days there, cm's had the respect for the policies handed down to them by mamnagement regarding good "SHOW". We respected that. We never were caught dead while walking and either drinking or eating while walking on stage and in costume to or from their work location.

Today, while in the park as a guest, I cringe when I constantly see cm's walking around and talking on their cell phones, eating, drinking, chomping on their gum and even in some instances holding hands, while walking on stage amongst the park's guests. What is worse, I have seem supervisors walk by and see these situations and not do a thing about it. This really proves to me that a lot of cm's just don't give a damn any more, along with mgmt. I am so sick and tired of seeing people yack on their cell phones while driving, but doing this while in costume in front of guests is pretty blatant and idiotic.

Anyone know why this happens all of the time. I tell you if I was a mgr., I would take action immediately on these infractions and against the violators. They do not deserve to work at Walt's park.

• OM NOM NOM

I dunno about you, but I have never seen that happen. Maybe on Grad Nites, but not during normal park hours.
    Make something Idiot-Proof, and someone will build a better Idiot.

• e komo mai

I've never seen this stuff either. It's pretty strict at the Mouse House. The CMs work hard. And being that they get the same freakin' questions every single day without actually killing the guests, I think they do a pretty dang good job.

• insufferable know-it-all

Nah, I've seen it... and worse.

The problem is, just like parents, managers must be CONSISTENT. If you have managers who don't enforce the rules, other managers can't either without having serious repercussions in the form of morale (so-and-so plays favorites, mgmt is inconsistent, why is so-and-so so strict when such-and-such lets us do it... etc.) Give people a consistent set of expectations and they are less likely to get upset about the rules. Everyone can handle the "natural makeup" thing just fine as long as it applies to all CMs. When CMs in one department get away with being "unnatural looking", CMs in other departments get resentful - either because they'd like to be "unnatural looking" or because they feel that department isn't upholding Disney standards.

That brings me, inevitably, to ODV. Someone over there needs to teach the young men the proper heigh to keep their pants. Seriously. And they're not the only offenders (just the worst) - CMs resort-wide look downright sloppy some days. Unless it's a design flaw in the costume, they need to crack down on the Disney Look.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

The last time Victoria and I were at the park, we went for a Dole Whip after seeing Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room. The CM at the Dole Whip stand was on the phone. Now... I don't know if this was a personal call or a call from her supervisor, but I do know that we stood there for a good bit while the CM continued her phone call... never even looking at us or aknowledging our presence. Finally, she looked at us. We asked for two Dole Whips. She said, "The machine is broken." and went back to her phone call. No, "I'm sorry." No nothing. We did not feel welcome and moved on.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• The two women of my life

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    Nah, I've seen it... and worse.

The problem is, just like parents, managers must be CONSISTENT. If you have managers who don't enforce the rules, other managers can't either without having serious repercussions in the form of morale (so-and-so plays favorites, mgmt is inconsistent, why is so-and-so so strict when such-and-such lets us do it... etc.) Give people a consistent set of expectations and they are less likely to get upset about the rules. Everyone can handle the "natural makeup" thing just fine as long as it applies to all CMs. When CMs in one department get away with being "unnatural looking", CMs in other departments get resentful - either because they'd like to be "unnatural looking" or because they feel that department isn't upholding Disney standards.

That brings me, inevitably, to ODV. Someone over there needs to teach the young men the proper heigh to keep their pants. Seriously. And they're not the only offenders (just the worst) - CMs resort-wide look downright sloppy some days. Unless it's a design flaw in the costume, they need to crack down on the Disney Look.

I whole heartedly agree with you on the mangement needs to be consistent about the following of the dress code. When i was a cast member I was hired with a gotee and no one told me for a month after that i couldn't have it. It wasn't a problem to get rid of it. A ASM told that i couldn't and after i shaved it off the store manager was like "oh yea I had been meaning to talk to you about that."

Also as A lead I tryed to follow the rules pretty much down the line. I was constanly being over ruled by the SM. When I would bring it up that that wasn't the Disney way sh e would just tell me "lighten up and learn to bend a little"
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
    The last time Victoria and I were at the park, we went for a Dole Whip after seeing Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room. The CM at the Dole Whip stand was on the phone. Now... I don't know if this was a personal call or a call from her supervisor, but I do know that we stood there for a good bit while the CM continued her phone call... never even looking at us or aknowledging our presence. Finally, she looked at us. We asked for two Dole Whips. She said, "The machine is broken." and went back to her phone call. No, "I'm sorry." No nothing. We did not feel welcome and moved on.
    Yes, quite bitter. And I know you can call others in the park.. so what is to say that isn't her friend working a pin cart somewhere else in the resort?

The costume thing really does bother me too. But what bugs me the most is gum chewing! I dislike it with guests and even moreso with CMs and I know it is not allowed. I read that same book you all had to when I started at the store and I know it's not allowed. <sigh> My mom is the one who remembers their names and tells City Hall. I just shake my head in disgrace.

• Minion

I've seen a lot of it too. I've worked with CMs that were eating candy in the cash wrap, while talking to guests! If I'm working with a new hire, I'll tell them if I see them do things like that, but why do I have to be the bad guy?

• șoș Tom șoș

Well the ho-hum feel good approach of Pressler administration is coming to a quick end- read Al's most recent update. The "bad egg" CM's better ship up or shape out because Matt ain't taken no trash *snaps his finger--that was supposed be Matt snapping his fingers.