Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Plaid

• Senior Minion

A Plaid

I'm curious as to what exactly a plaid is and what they do. Are there any special things you need to know in order to be one?
    It seems like something I might be interested in doing someday, so any information will be a great help
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

Re: A Plaid

At LEAST bilingual, but more languages help.
    And plaids are cast to be rather pretty people, so keep that in mind.

you dont have to be bilingual. hell you dont even have to know much about the park. I watched people get hired into Guest relations at the Job fairs who never have been to Disneyland

Oh, right. I forgot: plaid does not necessarily equal tour guide. I was thinking that's what you meant.

• Fastest Man Alive

The plaids are the Guest Relations department. This obviously includes the tours and the VIP tours. However, this also includes working the Phone Room- when folks call Disneyland for information, it pretty much gets directed to these guys. There is also the City Hall CMs- these are the ones that work City Hall and the Guest Relations center in the esplanade and in DCA. They handle complaints, praises, and pretty much anything out of the ordinary such as dealing with GAC cards and the like. Then there are the Information CMs that man the information booth in the esplanade and the info booth at the end of main street. There they are expected to answer pretty much and question about the parks and be in charge of updating the wait time boards (Disneyland's doesn't work automatically like WDW. The CM has to call the individual attractions for updates) finally, unless I am missing anything they also man the Lost and Found center over a DCA. This includes transporting L&F items over there, properly cataloging them and storing them and dealing and assisting guests in tracking down their lost items.
    I do not know the exact job qualifications, but in short- the plaids are held to a higher standard than other CMs. The Disney Look is exactly followed. Bi-lingual is a real plus (same with sign language) usually Guest Relations CMs transfer into the department from other areas rather than being hired straight in. It goes without saying that knowledge of the parks is essential. But probably the biggest requirement?
    People skills. Guest Relations CMs will take the brunt of abuse from guests. Angry guests are usually sent to Guest Relations when other CMs are unable or unwilling to satisfy the guests. Sometimes guests have legitimate issues, other times they are insane and nothing with ever satisfy them.
    Hope that sums it up.
    "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

• Minion

Just like the rest of Disneyland, the standards for Guest Relations have dropped dramatically. You don't have to be pretty anymore, and you don't even have to be semi-attractive. I've seen plenty of Tour Guides now who are downright dumpy or ugly. And most of the guy Tour Guides would not win a beauty contest either.

You also don't need to know anything about Disneyland. They hire Guest Relations CM's in off the street now with little or no park knowledge. It used to be that Guest Relations only staffed its ranks with transfer CM's from other departments after at least one year of service. Those days are long gone.

There have been many TR's posted online recently that comment on how inept or simply incorrect their Tour Guide was regarding Park knowledge or facts/figures. They have to memorize a script to get their "D Pin" that says Tour Guide on it, but judging from multiple TR's I've read lately the scripts are being forgotten quickly. And if a Guest asks a question that isn't covered in the script, then God help 'em.

It's also been my experience lately that while Guest Relations CM's no longer have to be attractive or even healthy looking, or have knowledge of how Disneyland actually works, they do have a basic ability to BS their way through most conversations with Guests.

They may have never worked at an attraction and have no concept about basic Park operation issues, but they can usually fake it pretty well. They glean a few key phrases from their training or fellow CM's, and they talk their way out of anything. Sometimes they honestly believe what they are saying is correct or accurate, even though they are way off base. They also like to put on little shows for the upset Guests in the City Hall lobby, and they pretend that they are going to have a specific complaint addressed "RIGHT AWAY!". When in reality they have little to no authority to do anything, and they likely don't even really know what should be done about most operational concerns to begin with.

To add insult to injury, they just got new costumes that make even the attractive girls look like a frumpy librarian with an unfortunate plaid fetish.

Long gone are the days of Julie Rheim who could simultaneously be smokin' sexy and exceedingly gracious.
    Last edited by Westsider; 06-26-2007 at 01:22 AM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    To add insult to injury, they just got new costumes that make even the attractive girls look like a frumpy librarian with an unfortunate plaid fetish.
    Don't be dissing librarians

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

As a Tour Guide who hired in "off the street" - I'd like to point out that Westsider's post is both incorrect and incredibly hurtfull.

But back on topic, Wally's got it almost down. We do Phone Room, Info locations, Lost and Found, City Hall & DCA Lobby, and the Guest Relations Window, that handles all comps, vips, and Club 33 tix. On top of that, there's guided tours and VIP.

You do NOT have to be bilingual, but it helps both in the job and in getting hired FOR the job. And contrary to popular belief, it's actually easier to hire in new than to transfer. As a transfer, you have to have a squeaky clean record & very low points, whereas there's no real way to judge it as a new hire, so they go by your resume & three seperate interviews with different managers. It also requires strict adherence to Disney Look standards & traditions. We're expected to be the best of the best, and we're who you come to when no one else has been able to help you, so yes PEOPLE SKILLS are the most important part of the job.

An average 5 guests in City Hall?
    1. A complaint about the Simba lot and it's lack of a tram, woman is screaming at you and throwing the flyer saying "welcome to Simba lot, there is no tram service for this lot" in your face.
    2. The cutest little boy you've ever seen asking for a button and listening to Goofy sing him Happy Birthday over the phone.
    3. A man asking you in broken English for 19 Japanese maps, which he will turn around and sell to his tour group just outside the City Hall steps.
    4. A guest asking for a GAC for them and their 12 friends because they have ADD and can't wait in line.
    5. A curious AP who would like a copy of the Monte Cristo recipe from our book.

So in short, you've got to be up for anything. In the phone room, it's "I cant figure out Disneyland.com" & "How can I get a VMK Stitch card?". On tour, it's "What year did Walt lose his first tooth?" & "What are the names of the Main St. Horses?". Over at Lost & Forgotten, it's "I lost my cell phone, I don't know the number or brand, but I know it was a flip phone and it was kinda silverish." And then there's everyone's favorite, "What time is the 3:00 parade?"

It takes a LOT of dedication, but we're a tight-knit family and it's a lot of fun. I say apply! We'd love to have you.

...well, apparently Westsider would only love for us to have you if you're attractive enough and under a size 4. But the rest of us don't care.
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

I think it's a shame that they've let their standards slip for the Disneyland tour guides. Those gals that Walt picked to be on the Wonderful World of Color show were not only very attractive, but they were just so gracious and wholesome.

You don't really see the traditional level of polish and graciousness you used to with the tour guides and the CM's they put out at the info boards now.

Info is literally the very first location you learn, so a lot of times the polish isn't there yet. You get better and better as you progress into tours and City Hall. The other thing is, it's pretty hard to be gracious when the CMs you work with at info are rude to you all day.

Average info board wait time call:
    "Hi, this is _____ at the information board! Could I have your wait time, please?"
    "uhg...hold on."
    "20 minutes.*click*

Or theres the ones who don't even let you get your name out because they already know what you want, so they just interrupt with "15" and hang up on you.

Don't mention how gracious we are or aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by RumRunner31 View Post
    ...well, apparently Westsider would only love for us to have you if you're attractive enough and under a size 4. But the rest of us don't care.
    Whose standard are we using? Let's just say my size 12 self (going by my Disney costume and US Navy uniform sizes) was surprised to find a skirt in Mervyn's Juniors section that was labeled as a size 0 that I fit in.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RumRunner31 View Post
    Info is literally the very first location you learn, so a lot of times the polish isn't there yet. You get better and better as you progress into tours and City Hall. The other thing is, it's pretty hard to be gracious when the CMs you work with at info are rude to you all day.

Average info board wait time call:
    "Hi, this is _____ at the information board! Could I have your wait time, please?"
    "uhg...hold on."
    "20 minutes.*click*

Or theres the ones who don't even let you get your name out because they already know what you want, so they just interrupt with "15" and hang up on you.

Don't mention how gracious we are or aren't.
    Hey, as ex-attractions it's an annoying interruption and we know it's your job so don't take it personally ...

We're often right in the middle of something and and since we don't know that it' not something or someone really important we have to answer it. The phones ought to have an Info Board warning light

It's only worthwhile when we can take the opportunity to make a wise-*** reply.

Thumbs up Re: A Plaid

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYardDog View Post
    Hey, as ex-attractions it's an annoying interruption and we know it's your job so don't take it personally ...

We're often right in the middle of something and and since we don't know that it' not something or someone really important we have to answer it. The phones ought to have an Info Board warning light

It's only worthwhile when we can take the opportunity to make a wise-*** reply.
    I totally understand and don't blame you guys, except when someone is going to use that as a way to attack US and say we're not "gracious" enough. I usually try to crack a joke when I call and keep it as quick as possible.

And Alyssa; I'm a 12 in Disney uniforms and an 8 everywhere else. I don't consider that big, since I'm 5'7. Either way, a 4 is pretty freaking small, and I will admit I was exaggerating to prove a point. My point is that if you think all it takes is looks to make a tour guide, you need to come take a tour sometime.

I'm only an inch taller than you, and have had people tell me I could hide behind a toothpick...

Where the hell are they getting their toothpicks from?

As far as calling attractions...

: Station backup incoming!
    *Phone rings*
    : MountainthisisAlpine.
    Good afternoon Alpine, this is Brian with Guest Relations at the Info Board,
    : PULL A TRAIN GUYS!
    may I ask what your current wait time is please?
    : OH GOD PULL A TRAIN WE'RE GOING TO CASCADE! THE TABLE OVERSHOT? S*@#!
    I'm sorry, should I hold?
    : HOLD 4 INCOMING!
    Should I put you down for 4 minutes?
    : WHAT?! NO, HOLD ON!
    No problem,
    : NO, not you guys! Don't hold! Dispatch! GO GO GO!
    whenever you're able.
    : ADVANCE ADVANCE ADVANCE PLEASE TURN GREEN PRETTY LITTLE LIGHT IN TIME SO WE DON'T HAVE A 45 MINUTE DOWNTIME PLEASE oh thank God.
    : ........sorry, things were crazy for a second.
    No trouble, may I have your current-
    : 10 minutes. *click*

I think plaids do an admirably great job, and I don't even want to think about dealing with the top leveled sense of entitlement guests they have to deal with constantly. I'd imagine it takes quite a while to really be able to let stuff go after work with that sort of stuff going on constantly. It's definitely not easy on a mental and emotional level, and not for the faint of heart.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast