• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Connecting With Foods CMs 70s-80s

I fully enjoyed my years working in food services at the Park in the 70s and early 80s - working mainly at the Plaza Pavillion, Tahitian Terrace, and New Orleans Main Kitchen. Are you, or do you know of any, that worked in these places during that era? I'd also love to chat with those that worked in more recent years on up to the present.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Sock Puppet

Re: Connecting With Foods CMs 70s-80s

I started my Disney career in 1977 at the Riverbelle Terrace and worked there and at Stagedoor Cafe until 1979. I came back in late 1980 and was hired in at the French Market, but had an opportunity to go full time, so I transferred to the NOMK and worked there for sometime until I transferred up to the Blue Bayou. Those were fun days.

More recently, I got divorced and did the 2 job thing to make some ends meet and got hired at the PLaza Inn, where i was promoted lead and did that for almost 2 years until my body said enough is enough (working almost 80 hours a week).

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Tenordrummer - I worked at NOMK from the time you started at the Market in late 1980, until I left there in 1982. Our paths must have crossed at one time or another. Remember some names of people you worked with either there or at NOMK?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Sock Puppet

Let's see here, I remember Phil Doyle, Ron Becker, Pat Duggan, Mark Prather, a guy who was in the marines, Jon Foster, a tall skinny lead named Mark, last name ???. That's about it and of course my favorite supervisor, Mark Taul (yeah right!!!). Those were fun days despite being in the dishroom or pot room.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Mark Taul was there when I left. He was one of the supervisors that I never missed after leaving. Two supervisors that I liked at my time of departure - Mary Pat Toups and Chuck Easterly. And Oh that Phil Doyle - he was quite a guy. I knew him when he was a lead MKH, and then a scheduler. I hear he went on to become lead receiver - and was there until just a few years ago. He was one of the best-read and most intelligent people I ever knew - even if I didn't always see eye-to-eye with him politically. I think I remember Pat Duggan as well - but not the others. Did you know a cook named Alan Crowder? Or Ray Gill? Or Lucy or Martha (older ladies) in pantry? How about "back-up"...
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 07-24-2005 at 08:59 PM. Reason: typo

• Sock Puppet

I agree with you about Mark Taul, not well liked by a lot people, myself included. I remember Chuck very well, he was my supervisor at Riverbelle as well. When I transferred to the Blue Bayou, Chuck was the one who let me have my vacation time to go to WDW. was Mary Pat Toups also Mary Pat Palmer?? If that is her she was good. I liked Phil, he was a cool guy.

Alan Crowder was that tall big dude right?? If so, he was working at the PLaza Inn with me back in 2001. I remember playing softball with him, he was a good player. Umm, back up, don't really remember that, but was that cleaning the mats and stuff and emptying trash cans?

• Sock Puppet

Hey Barry,

Do you happen to remember Hector Quintana. He was also in NOMK during our time there. We have been friends ever since. I actually saw him last night at my softball game. He is now married and has a 5 year old girl. He spen over 20 years at the park, his last position being stock in merchandise on Main Street.

Glenn

• Sock Puppet

I also remember that I was down in the NOMk the day Presidetn Reagan was shot by that idiot Hinckley guy. I had just come into work there when that incident was televised in the DEC.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I sure do remember Hector - he was ( is ) a great guy - as I remember it, he had a sister who worked at the Pirate Ship (they used to come down and get their clam chowder from us. Tell him I said hi next time you see him - and tell him to feel free to contact me - I remember that in the summer of 1979 he was the opening potroom guy when I worked the morning "hotline" shift.
    By the way - "backup" referred to the people that used to cut cakes and pies and such..an area nearest the stockroom and the "receiver" or lead MKH desk. The job you referred to...mats and trash cans....was called "back area"...

• MiceAge Columnist

Alan Crowder was in NOMK until maybe 1999 or 2000, and then I also saw him on Main Street somewhere. These guys get moved around a good deal so I wouldn't be surprised if he moves again. It was amazing he stayed that long in NOS.

Mark Taul cycled back to Cafe Orleans in 1997, and then on to other areas by I think 1999. In the 90s, he was typically sent in to "clean up" areas that needed work. He was not universally liked in the 90s either.

Hasn't receiver Phil been there like 20 years? (Actually I think he's finally retired a few years ago)
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Maybe Alan wound up at the Plaza Inn as previously indicated. In any event, he started out as an MKH in the Main Kitchen back in 1976. Wow. I knew him pretty well over the five years or so we worked together - Do you have any idea how I might contact him?
    P.S. - Thanks for your contributions to this website. Also, I created the second thread of this same name by mistake. If that one can be removed, it's okay with me.

• Sock Puppet

I go to Disneyland quite a bit and still see some of my reminaing friends at the PI, so the next time I go there I will try and get Alana's number for you. Ahhhh, I too, remember Hector's 2 sister, Brenda and Nora. Brenda worked at the Cafe Orleans and Nore was in Fan 1 or Fan 2 and then she eventually transferred to security. I also remember Brenda was into politics in a big way and always wanted to discuss political matters, which I was not interested in at that time. I don't know what happened to both his sisters and I forgot to ask him the other night. If you want, I will try and get his number for you too as well.

Glenn

• Sock Puppet

I last saw Mark Taul at a Mexican food location at DCA, near the sourdough bread tour (I don't remember the name of that food location, but it is comprised of several differant fast food stands). I also saw him several times when he came to see his son playing softball on the men's team I also played for. He seemed a little more amiable than in the past.

Glenn

• Sock Puppet

Hey Barry,

Just wanted to let you know that Hector extended his regards to you. He remembers you well.