Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• Multi-decade CM

Rotation breaks for all!

Once upon a time, only a few years ago, those of us in Attractions had a really nice break schedule. Instead of two 15's and a 30 lunch, we would rotate from position to position every 20 minutes. At the end of the rotation, we would take a break. Then back into the rotation and start all over. This generally worked out to a break ever 90 minutes! More often if we were overstaffed.

Now, many people would think this made us spoiled. And it did. But it also had advantages for Disney.

You see, getting so many breaks ensured that we would be fresh. This is almost the same idea behind the Atmosphere Characters, who get a 30 minute break every half hour. (Longer breaks if it is hot.) I know I was able to pull a 12 hour shift without feeling any kind of fatigue because of the numerous breaks. Attitudes were better because we had more of a chance to unwind.

With the current system, Attraction CMs are more tired, more grumpy. And it has not had the planned effect of reducing labour hours, which is what getting rid of rotation breaks was supposed to bring.

What rotation breaks did was allow people to work longer and be fresher.

So I propose not only bringing back rotation breaks to Attractions, but spreading it out to ALL departments possible. Certainly those poor sods in Foods deserve a break. Have several kitchen positions. Move out to Counter 1, 2, 3, then break time! Custodial can have different sections that they move to, then off to a break! Imagine the amount of labour you would actually cut down because you can now keep people on OT instead of having to bring in a new person? (OT is actually cheaper than ST when you count taxes and benefits.)

Disney is constantly battling a haemorrhaging turnover. Here's one effective way to stop it. And think of how happy your CMs will be. Yes, I know a happy CM was something Disney did it's best to squash in years past. Let's see if that has changed, of if it is still entrenched in the Disney Culture.

Look, give it a try. If it doesn't work, you can always go back to how things are done now.

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - "This is nature's way, the Creator's plan. This is Nature's Song" - Nature's Song (The Tigers' Second Quest)

--== TIGERS' QUEST - www.tigersquest.com
    --== THE DOCTOR WHO AUDIO DRAMAS - www.dwad.net

• Crockett's Explorer Guide

Re: Roation breaks for all!

ok

• Fighter Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthope View Post

With the current system, Attraction CMs are more tired, more grumpy.

Sometimes its just the people they hire

• Multi-decade CM

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeMan33 View Post
    Sometimes its just the people they hire
    They had to hire all those people because they burned through all the good ones.

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - "I am Asneeze, father of Ahchoo." - Asneeze (Robin Hood: Men in Tights)

I don't like constantly moving. Grouping and such generally requires starting from scratch each time a rotation goes through, and when a rotation involves 3-5 attractions, that's a lot of walking around.

I like the accountability and oversight of the computer system personally.

• Multi-decade CM

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
    I don't like constantly moving. Grouping and such generally requires starting from scratch each time a rotation goes through, and when a rotation involves 3-5 attractions, that's a lot of walking around.

I like the accountability and oversight of the computer system personally.
    Just out of curiosity, have you ever actually done rotation breaks?

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - Do not sweat the petty things; do not to pet the sweaty things.

• Hooterville, USA

I think it's a great idea. Keep the troops fresh.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Pathetically Obsessed

There's a reason (several actually) why Walt and his staff set it up that way in the first place, right? And it worked for how long? 40 years? Lots and lots of happy long-tenured CMs, right. And when they changed that system, they started losing CMs right and left, correct?

Hmmmmm. Wonder if there's any connection there.... Just a thought!
    "Fire at will, boys!"

"Which one's Will?

• Once A Skip Always A Skip

Man, don't even get me started on this subject.

It's true, everyone I worked with was a lot happier and fresher when you got a break away from the noise every hour. YOu weren't standing in at group or load or belts for 45 minutes on end. As much as some of us loved our jobs, cetain types of guests can really burn you out over the course of an hour at group, and it's nice to go back and grab a drink of water and sit for 15 minutes before going outside. With rotations you could take lunch breaks with friends, or stand across from or next to a person you enjyed working with and it all made the day go by sooo much faster. Some of my best friends I made at the park were because we all hung out at the entrance to our attraction and had other people "bump around". The person "bumping around" didn't mind because that meant they were one step closer to a break. Believe it or not but Cast Members are also human beings who need to sit, and unwind for a couple of minutes before the next round of "I want the front", or "My kid rode Rocket Rods, why can't he ride Indy" begins. Some guests are down right nasty to foods and attractions Cast Members and it gets real old, real quick. I protested several times on just a safety level...think about it would you rather have someone checking your belts who was just back from grabbing some AC and a little TV or one who has been in thier position for the last hour because the computer screwed up and management managed to save a couple bucks on labor. Which by the way... it wasn't really about. It was about someone in the company realizing they were paying us all this money for Cast Members to not be "productuve" so they had the computer assigned "optimized tasks" to keep you working. Stuff like "sweep the queue for trash", "go interact with guests for 15 minutes".

They burned through a lot of good Cast Members in those years right after they made the switch to CDS (Computer Deployment System) and some of us even staged a rebellion against it. The rebellion was quickly quashed however after a certain website posted a story about it, and the leads were threatend with thier jobs if they didn't bring us Skippers...uh random Disney Cast Members in.

As to the subject of accountability, I too wonder is the person who likes the idea "accountability" of the computer system ever worked in a rotation. Because anyone who worked in a rotation will tell you that there was always the fear of retalliation not my management but by your fellow CM's. If you didn't want to be skipped over your next bump coming through or left in a boat for 10 trips (AKA Jungle Justice), you came back when you were supposed to.

I don't know what sparked this conversation, and I'd go so far as to say this belongs in The Break Room. But I'd thought I'd respond and give one former Attractions CM's perspective.
    -"Enjoy the rest of your stay here at Disneyland, where all of your dreams come true...well except for two of them, short lines and cheap food."

• Minion

i saw 2 cms on monday get a little paper from another cm and they got excited and left to another position i think or a break.

is this the same thing? It was on soarin and roger rabbit.

• Multi-decade CM

Quote Originally Posted by TrojanSkippa View Post
    They burned through a lot of good Cast Members in those years right after they made the switch to CDS (Computer Deployment System) and some of us even staged a rebellion against it. The rebellion was quickly quashed however after a certain website posted a story about it
    No need to be coy. That certain website was Al Lutz, and his big mouth got a lot of people in trouble. He is still being punished somewhat as now we don't "leak" certain things to him that we want to make sure management doesn't find out about.

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - There may be no "I" in "team", but there is an "I" in "win".

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by patattack View Post
    i saw 2 cms on monday get a little paper from another cm and they got excited and left to another position i think or a break.

It depends. it can either mean thbat one CM is relieving one CM to a lunch or break or the CMs are switching positions that they dread or love. Maybe from Merge to Load, Load to Dispatch, Saftey to Tower, etc....... what ever.

• Once A Skip Always A Skip

Quote Originally Posted by patattack View Post

More or less, that paper tells you where to go and how to get there respectivly. It will tell you to go to the next position in the rotation, the next person bumps the next person and so on. There is a "last spot" on the rotation somewhere, when the last person gets the bump normally you would go on a break and come back to start at the beginning. Now, when you get to the end of the rotation instead of taking a break you go back to the CDS computer to get your next assignment (usually sending someone on thier break) you could end up in the middle of the rotation, the beginning or in the same spot your just spent the last hour in. It reminds me of that tale in greek mythology where a punishment involved having to roll a boulder up the hill only to have it roll back and and having to start over from the beginning. You then continue on in the rotation, untill someone else who has just returned from their break or "optimized task" returns to relase you from rotation purgatory.

To be fair it was not Miceage that published the article. I don't even think it was Al that wrote the story. But he got a lot of the blame from a lot of ticked off CM's.
    -"Enjoy the rest of your stay here at Disneyland, where all of your dreams come true...well except for two of them, short lines and cheap food."

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

Wonder why they stopped this practice to many rides now?

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Because of Cynthia Harris and her evil invention called CDS...
    -Bill

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast