• Return to Oz

Question Helpful tips on becoming a cast member

Iím currently looking for a job. I was wondering if any cast members have any advice on getting hired for the Disney Company. I applied for the Visual Presentation Assistant position on disneycareers.com and have yet to receive response. What helpful tips do you have so I can stand out of the crowd and hopefully get an interview?

(this is the second time I post a thread with the same topic but I was hoping for some great tips from you wonderful cast members)
    So... what do you think?

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

Re: Helpful tips on becoming a cast member

I applied in person, so unfortunately I'm not much help on the "getting an interview" front - they did mine the same day. However, I can say that if you DO make it to the interview, be prepared for a group interview, and if that's what you get, make sure you honestly listen to the other people and their answers. I got turned down the first time I applied in high school because they could tell I was thinking about what MY answer would be instead of listening to theirs and making eye contact and the like. They look for little things like that. Good luck!
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

• Multi-decade CM

Quote Originally Posted by Disney luv View Post
    I’m currently looking for a job. I was wondering if any cast members have any advice on getting hired for the Disney Company. I applied for the Visual Presentation Assistant position on disneycareers.com and have yet to receive response. What helpful tips do you have so I can stand out of the crowd and hopefully get an interview?
    If you're looking for a professional position, you need to have a resume with the right keywords, as resumes are just scanned into a computer. What those keywords are I have no idea.

If you're looking for just a job in the park, then all you need to do is breathe and you'll get hired.

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - I almost had a psychic girlfriend, but she left me before we met.

--== TIGERS' QUEST - www.tigersquest.com
    --== THE DOCTOR WHO AUDIO DRAMAS - www.dwad.net

• Mickey Mouse Slave

Dont expect to get what you applied for though... at least i know, i didnt get what i wanted... :\
    ~ A Cute, Little, Fuzzy, Silly, and Chubby Cast Member ~

• WDW Fant! Premiere Cast

I can't really help you out on an audition. I filled out an application and then sat in a gym for 10 hours to audition for entertainment. I was taken on ability rather than an interview.

I was interviewed with another person for CP and during that I made eye contact, genuinely smiled and had fun, honest answers. That wasn't real world Disney interviewing, though.

• Return to Oz

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    Dont expect to get what you applied for though... at least i know, i didnt get what i wanted... :\
    What job did you apply for and what job did you get?

Would you recommend I go to the big yellow building at least to introduce myself and maybe speak to someone in that department?
    So... what do you think?

• Minion

Would you recommend I go to the big yellow building at least to introduce myself and maybe speak to someone in that department?
    Doesn't work that way, though when they're having a job fair there are Line-of-Business reps generally available.

Otherwise it's a cattle call. You fill out application, take the on-line personality test, watch the Disney standards video, have a group interview and they tell you whether you passed and what's available.

Take it or leave it and come back after 6 months if you don't take it.

• Mickey Mouse Slave

i applied for Vacation Club rep... got ODV...

was given the choice of ODV or Custodial... despite my ride operations experiance at Knotts.
    ~ A Cute, Little, Fuzzy, Silly, and Chubby Cast Member ~

• I am number 4 of 999

I'll never forget the time I applied at The Disney Store (when it was owned and operated by Disney). We had a group interview, I was with three other ladies. Basically we sat around and talked about our favorite movies and how many times we've been to the Parks, and then the manager was like, "Oh, you're all hired, by the way.". It was cool, and yet at the same time pretty ridiculous.

So, yeah, sometimes you really just need to breathe, and know who Sleeping Beauty is, and you're hired.
    It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

• Return to Oz

Quote Originally Posted by ghosty4 View Post
    I'll never forget the time I applied at The Disney Store (when it was owned and operated by Disney). We had a group interview, I was with three other ladies. Basically we sat around and talked about our favorite movies and how many times we've been to the Parks, and then the manager was like, "Oh, you're all hired, by the way.". It was cool, and yet at the same time pretty ridiculous.

So, yeah, sometimes you really just need to breathe, and know who Sleeping Beauty is, and you're hired.
    I used to work for the Disney Store too, also when it was owned by Disney. But my I had 3 interviews one with the store manager and two with the asst manager. I loved working there.
    So... what do you think?

• Adventurer Slash Explorer

Someone told me that when he applied for the Disney Store, the interviewer asked him what Disney character he thought he was most like. When he replied Baloo, they told him they had no room for a Baloo and he was sent away.

Does this actually happen?

• You Spin Me Right Round

haha, nope, i love my manager at the disney store, that is the only reason why i work both there and the park

• That Guy

I have never been a CM, but I can tell you that you are more likely to have positive results if you turn in an app in person, as opposed to the net. There are probably millions of great apps floating in cyber-space, they get lost in the ether quite often.