Thread: Language Pin

• You Spin Me Right Round

Language Pin

Ok, so after months (literally, i applied a week after hiring) i got a call on my phone from disney, i thought it was my manager calling me (on my vacation) to pick up a shift, so like normal, i ignored it. when i checked my voicemail, it was the team center calling to tell my my pin was ready to pick up.

Not really that bizarre, but i never took a test for it. Not one, they just handed it to me. Luckily, i actually know sign language (not a hell of a lot, but enough to get by) but what if i had put down something like Mandarin Chinese, and i had no clue how to say hello, let alone carry on a conversation. Maybe i just slipped through the cracks.....

• WDW Fant! Premiere Cast

Re: Language Pin

Wow! That's cool. I remember working there and having friends who were 99.9% fluent in Japanese. Speaking, reading and writing. They had even worked at TDL. Couldn't even get scheduled for the test.

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DLDCALVR View Post
    Not really that bizarre, but i never took a test for it. Not one, they just handed it to me. Luckily, i actually know sign language (not a hell of a lot, but enough to get by) but what if i had put down something like Mandarin Chinese, and i had no clue how to say hello, let alone carry on a conversation. Maybe i just slipped through the cracks.....
    Really??? YOu never took the test?? How did you pull that off?? I tought you had to take some kind of verbal test to know how to answer basic questions like the locations of the bathrooms. That is odd.........

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

Wow...and to think I've been trying to re-learn my French for the last month and a half!
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

• CM for 4 years!

Language pins are bad news bears, cuz people get upset if you don't know one thing. It's much easier to act like you don't speak another language (although often I'll let people talk to me in Spanish and I'll speak back in English, my accent's so bad, I'm embarrassed!)
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

mine is in american sign language, i was preparing for the test and everything when i got the call saying my pin was ready for pick up. It is really bizarre. i know that the pin program just got a new director, so i guess i fell through the cracks. Good thing i know enough sign to point out restrooms and give the prices of a churro, but they don;t know that i do.

(ooh, I have the same avatar as the person above me, cool)

I hate to resurrect threads, but it wasn't that long ago, and I also don't like to duplicate subjects.

I was wondering if anyone (maybe RumRunner?) knows the number I would need to call to schedule a time for the French language pin test? Or are they supposed to call me? Is the waiting time different based on language? (I applied for it the day of my Traditions class and am still waiting for it, while I saw one of the newer hires with a Spanish pin on his first day of training)

Also, how are they regarding dialects. In this case, I speak Canadian French, which is a bit different from what they speak over in France/Belgium/etc. Would that hurt my chances?
    Last edited by glendalais89; 10-22-2007 at 01:07 AM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by glendalais89 View Post
    (ooh, I have the same avatar as the person above me, cool)

I hate to resurrect threads, but it wasn't that long ago, and I also don't like to duplicate subjects.

I was wondering if anyone (maybe RumRunner?) knows the number I would need to call to schedule a time for the French language pin test? Or are they supposed to call me? Is the waiting time different based on language? (I applied for it the day of my Traditions class and am still waiting for it, while I saw one of the newer hires at Pizza Port with a Spanish pin on his first day of training)

Also, how are they regarding dialects. In this case, I speak Canadian French, which is a bit different from what they speak over in France/Belgium/etc. Would that hurt my chances?
    They have to lose your paperwork at least three times before they act upon anything.

It's a corporate policy.

That and the person who has to act upon it going on vacation.

Except when they're firing you. They always seem to get that done the first time for some reason ....

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DLDCALVR View Post
    Ok, so after months (literally, i applied a week after hiring) i got a call on my phone from disney, i thought it was my manager calling me (on my vacation) to pick up a shift, so like normal, i ignored it. when i checked my voicemail, it was the team center calling to tell my my pin was ready to pick up.

Not a fair test. They're probably not actually paying attention or caring as long as it's on some list.

Try something like Klingon and see if they notice.

• Disney Nerd

I never tested either. I got my pin for French when we got our gold nametags for the 50th. I picked mine up from my manager and a few days later they pulled me into the office again to get my nametag. I was so confused, cause I was totally already wearing a gold one. I don't even remember putting in an application, but my manager said that I filled one out at Cast Blast, so yea.

bad news is, i lost it.

haha, i filled out another app at the Team Center, tell them, i just have my Kenai, AK name tag.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Being an ASL interpreter in my spare time to supplement my income, I think it's awesome you were willing to put it down. Really, what a boon for a Deaf person to have a small break, a magic moment, in their day at Disneyland and not have to write their entire conversation down just to find out how much a stuffed Minnie costs.

So, that's way cool that you have/had the pin.

How long have you been signing? I've been using ASL since I was seventeen, so 20 years.

And I use it every day at the Deaf school where I work.

There is a huge variation of tests for interpreters in sign language.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

my grandma was deaf, and mom grandpa had moved away, so my mom was basicly a CODA, so she taught me some, then i took it in high school. I am not good enough to interpret, but i am able to carry on a conversation. It really is a unique language, and i love when i get a deaf guest. It makes my day.