• Nutty about Disney parks

alright, the curiosity has been killing me...

So I've been contemplating being a character at Disney World.

When I started this college program, everyone back home was laughing at me and making jokes about me being put in a costume. I've always associated the CMs at the parks who work as costumed characters as a bunch of disgruntled 40 yr olds smoking a cigarrette in the break room or something like that.

But for the college program I work in character costuming which is basically assisting with laundry and prep costumes for characters that appear throught the parks. Ive been working close with a lot of these folks who come in and are surprisingly young. Most of them are in their early 20s and straight out of theatre school. Having been around theatre people a whole lot in college/high school I found little reason to like them. I had a couple ask me why I was never interested in becoming a character, which was a surprising question because they make it sound like they think I should be a character.

And today on the bus I hear this guy talking on the cell phone behind me about planning to audition for a character and he's telling some pretty impressive stories.

Like I said, I'm only contemplating. There aint much open for me as far as auditions go and being a major theater reject (meaning I've auditioned for plays/musicals my whole life and never got in one) I plan to keep my hopes low and wont take the plunge unless a great oppurtunity opens up.

So I guess now my question is...what do you all think?

Anyone here with some character experience?

opinions ahoy!

• I am number 4 of 999

Re: alright, the curiosity has been killing me...

I was a character at Hersheypark for several years. I got to be in commercials and print advertisements. Park brochures. Television shows and parades. Groundbreakings for new attractions and buildings. It's actually pretty sweet! I can only imagine how incredible it would be to be a Disney character!!
    It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

I've been a walk around for the local ski resort, and the great thing is that you can be free to be as goofy as you want to be, because your in charicter. The kids tend to love you (apart from the occassional stinker that wants to be a punk to impress his freinds) the only real drawback is it gets very hot in the costumes.

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

"Costumes"??!? What are you talking about?!? NNNOOOOO!!! No! No! No! I refuse to believe it!!

• WDW Fant! Premiere Cast

What can I say other than being a character was the best 6 years of my life. I was able to do many different things such as greetings, dining, parades, shows and special events. If you enjoy portraying someone else, having lots of fun, working hard and sweating you would definately love being a character. Remember, though, that you have to be at your present location for a specific amount of time (6 mos maybe) before you can transfer. One other thing is that character costume heights are very specific. If you don't fall within a particular height range you probably won't get the job. Since the costumes are one size you need to be of average or slender build to fit in certain ones.

If you have specific questions feel free to pm me. If I don't have the answers I can get them for you from WDW entertainment managers who are friends of mine.

"Costumes"??!? What are you talking about?!? NNNOOOOO!!! No! No! No! I refuse to believe it!!

ditto to what sorcerermickey said- best job you'll EVER have.... so so so rewarding and SO much fun! but just because it's fun doesn't mean that it's easy- that's the biggest misconception I see that some new people have... go try-out though, you have nothing to lose and EVERYTHING to gain!