Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is it

• You Spin Me Right Round

Why is it

That i can't get more than 1 shift a week (i am a CR with 4 months seniority, not much, but still...) and I keep getting told that my department is overstaffed, and I come in for my ONE shift this week, and I see about 5 groups of 2 new trainees!!! Why keep hiring into our department, when we don't have enough shifts? It's a little frustrating, to say the least.

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

Re: Why is it

You are still at the bottom of the totem pole considering those who have been there over 5 years. I suggest keep calling in for any avaliable shifts.

uh... tis the season. Remember- it's still a business, not a free-for-all and staffing is adjusted appropriately during offpeaks. Depending on what Department you work in maybe some shifts will open up during the Halloween Season? I think the park gets a little busier during that time but then slows down for a couple weeks before the Thanksgiving bash begins. They're probably hiring in preparation for Thanksgiving thru New Years. Perhaps this early because folks are dropping like flies? How's retention?
    Do you call around to other locations within your line of business to see if they need help? You should know when the other locations within your business usually get busy. If you're a good Cast Member, and not one who's full of crap- I assure you they'll want you back after one time being there. If you're still short hours after all this consider submitting a Cross Training form. Expand your horizons and it will pay off with more shifts available for you. This (when I was there but not so sure about now) didn't apply if you had discipline problems- and if that was the case...sorry. Be good for 6 months and submit one.

• Mickey Mouse Slave

lol. I know ODV DCA Lead, they actually kicked one lead back to his original position because they are overstaff.

but yeah, senority doesnt mean jack anyways. On my pref, i have put thing i want to do... with a senority of 1 year, i rarely get what i want. For some reason, the shifts i wanted are given to the people who have less seniorty. :\
    ~ A Cute, Little, Fuzzy, Silly, and Chubby Cast Member ~

• Disney Nerd

Welcome to the off season. I know most current CM's are still getting used to experiencing it after the 50th, but this is what September is supposed to be like. Even though this past summer was unusually slow, most still don't understand.

Just keep calling in for shifts, because there will be call in's everyday. Trust me, if you're in foods, ask scheduling to check other areas. Someone always has an open shift.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    lol. I know ODV DCA Lead, they actually kicked one lead back to his original position because they are overstaff.

but yeah, senority doesnt mean jack anyways. On my pref, i have put thing i want to do... with a senority of 1 year, i rarely get what i want. For some reason, the shifts i wanted are given to the people who have less seniorty. :\
    Have you asked your scheduler why and what you could do ?

Sometimes CP's also get more than their 'share' because there are minimums involved.

Yep...it's the off season. You are a CR and you have low senority. However, it doesn't matter if you are a CR and have been there a year...if a new hire comes in as an FT, they have scheduling preference over you....cheer up...it will pick up in a few months

Forget Disney Magic...Universal performs MIRACLES!!!

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

I also suggest start searching for a second job.

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post

Hahaha, i thought that the bold was funny most of the new DL leads also got sent back to their old positions

Quote Originally Posted by kriskitty22 View Post
    Yep...it's the off season. You are a CR and you have low senority. However, it doesn't matter if you are a CR and have been there a year...if a new hire comes in as an FT, they have scheduling preference over you....cheer up...it will pick up in a few months
    I'm not complaining about not getting hours, it is more the fact that they keep hiring people when we don't need them, we have more than enough CRs to fill the positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan - Tasmic! View Post
    I also suggest start searching for a second job.
    I have one

• Fastest Man Alive

It's seniority and off season business cycle we've all been there. This type of thing gets fixed over time. Plus, call into scheduling every day to see if any shifts can be picked up. On your work preference form, put "hours" as your #1 choice over location or days off. Get cross-trained into as many positions as you can. The more positions you know, the more valuable and easier to schedule you are. Apply for FT status as soon as you can, the least senior FTer will be scheduled over a CR even if they have been there for 20 years.
    Find higher seniority folks who are willing to shift change for less hours. Get yourself put on a list in scheduling as who to call when positions open up. Keep your availability as open as possible. During the off season, folks who can work weekdays are very much in demand.
    As you can tell, I've been there. No one strategy will get you the hours your need, use them all.
    "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

• Mickey Mouse Slave

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYardDog View Post
    Have you asked your scheduler why and what you could do ?

Sometimes CP's also get more than their 'share' because there are minimums involved.
    good point, i should go ask...

actually, got hired in with the ending of 2006 peak season... Even then, i was getting 3 shifts per week... they even had me worth a 4th shift in oct for the MHT.
    ~ A Cute, Little, Fuzzy, Silly, and Chubby Cast Member ~

• Fastest Man Alive

Quote Originally Posted by DLDCALVR View Post
    I'm not complaining about not getting hours, it is more the fact that they keep hiring people when we don't need them, we have more than enough CRs to fill the positions.
    At the moment, yes. Remember how long it takes to get trained and decent at a position. Those new hires are there to prepare for the busy holiday season. Disney knows with 100% rates in several departments, that they are going to lose a ton of CMs before X-mas time, so its important to keep pumping new CMs into the mix even during the off season.
    "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

Quote Originally Posted by DLDCALVR View Post
    i am a CR with 4 months seniority, not much, but still...
    That's not much at all, you shouldn't complain you're lucky you get one shift a week. You should maybe get to know people that have more shifts then you and offer them a day off once in a while and take their shift.

• Fastest Man Alive

Quote Originally Posted by granka View Post
    That's not much at all, you shouldn't complain you're lucky you get one shift a week. You should maybe get to know people that have more shifts then you and offer them a day off once in a while and take their shift.
    do keep in mind though that FTrs can longer give away shifts. I am uncertain of whether other CRs can.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast