Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• Can Only Wish For More!

Thumbs down Foods CM's getting "replaced"!

Hi guys,

As some of you know, the Foods Union Contract is up/expiring. Now, I saw a flier that was made and I was also talking to some people about it, but here it is; Disney wants to outsource the Foods dept. 100%!

I don't know if they'll do it, but I know they can. They did it to the Cast Diners, they can do it to us. I guess I'm mentioning it here cause I want us CM's to do something. Go to the negotiations. I love Disney too much for them to fire me in order to save some $$$.

Someone help us. If Disney don't want us, someone must.
    Took mom to Disneyland for the first time in over 20 years this week! Woo!
    - March 1, 2006

She screamed, cried, and laughed...
    - me too!

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Re: Foods CM's getting "replaced"!

OK, I really don't know much about the upcoming "foods" issues, but it is clear that TDA is having a hard time finding and getting CM's in general. So if "Foods" get outsourced, the current Foods CM's have a choice, they can go apply with the new company that buys the right to run the operations, or you could transfer to a different department and stay a Disney CM.

But will it happen, nobody knows, and if it does happen, WHICH "Foods" locations/operations will be outsourced?

Will it just be In-Park locations, and not the Hotels, will it be EVERY location that sells food, including the ODV division, or just selected locations?

And if some or all of the "Foods" division is outsourced, what will be the obligations of the company, do they also have to make sure the locations are clean and stoked, including the overnight cleaning, both in the cooking area and the eating areas?

There are a LOT of unanswered questions, and I doubt that Disney will do something rapidly without having a firm situation in place, and the new company(s) having everything in place to take over the operations.

What I do see is a selective "outsourcing" of locations, starting with a few locations, similar to what is going on at DAK, most locations still operated by Disney, but a few locations operated by other companies. If this is the case, then CM's can transfer if they work at a current location that would be converted, and with the massive turnover, there should be plenty of other choices to stay in "Foods" and still remain a Disney CM.

If anything, this might actually give more options and chances for advancement if they go with a "partial outsourcing" option.

But as I said at the top, this is JUST speculation, and nothing really has happened.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Sad Re: Foods CM's getting "replaced"!

This is quite a subject for my first post, but oh well.

From what I'm hearing through the grapevine (MySpace and a friend of mine who had a shift yesterday [Wednesday]) is that whole thing is dead on arrival. The union is apparently up-in-arms over the matter, as you can see from the flyers, and is making not-so-nice magic for the company at all levels. I'm just going on conjecture at this point so it may be different from what's actually happening.

Hopefully, this is just one of those extreme proposals that tend to be made as part of labour negotiations. Seeing as how I just started recently, I would really hate to have such a massive shakeup when I'm just getting used to things as they currently are (read: I'm not interested in having to go out and find another job just yet). I can only imagine how those people who've been with Disney for even a little bit longer must feel.
    Last edited by glendalais89; 10-11-2007 at 01:40 AM.

• Disney Nerd

This isn't something the company is considering. If it were, they company would have spread it long before the Union could get their hands on it to scare CM's with.

Yes, I am a Foods CM. Yes, our Union uses scare tactics to get people to vote the way they want, or to discourage voting. We unfortunately don't have the best Union and to be honest since the split they have proven to not really be holding the CM's interests at heart.

Unless all Foods CM's get involved & start attending meetings, negotiations, & voting they way they truly believe, instead of just yes...then this contract won't change much from our last crappy contract. In fact we'll probably lose more than we gain.

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

HAHAH... another Foods union scare tactic. Will they never cease?

Seeing that I've worked/interacted with the folks who run the Foods union now, I'm really not surprised at all. They cried and whined when Sandy lost the Foods election which lead to the breakup and formation of the current Foods union... they screwed up and allowed Foods to be in the situation that they are in now... and now they are using really unbelievable scare tactics? Classic. I have zero respect for Sandy... but don't even get me started with Mike Bertain, he was absolutely useless as a shop steward and now with even MORE responsibility in this messed up union... yikes.

Hopefully they are both gone so they can stop doing so much damage to my former department like the damage they caused in the recent past (I don't keep up with a lot of Foods union nonsense, just the random news bits here and there).

Anyhow, they need something to be able to make themselves look good in the future, because their track record since the new Foods union was formed (again, due to whining and the fact that Sandy is a real sore loser) can't even be called decent. They'll use this, "but we got Disney to keep from outsourcing ALL of our jobs!!! YAY US!" when it probably isn't true to fool Cast Members into looking the other way while they blunder and screw up some more. Go them!

I agree with Darkbeer though... if they do outsource, it'll be a partial one with a few fully sponsored restaurants like DAK or even like Downtown Disney. I highly doubt they'll outsource the entire division... but the Foods union wouldn't want you to realize that it isn't as extreme as they want to make it to out to be, if it's even happening at all.
    Last edited by Burnt Toast; 10-11-2007 at 08:22 AM.
    Burnt Toast
    The Magic Begins With Me...! 8:P

• Multi-decade CM

Yeah. I have to agree. I've been hearing this outsourcing rumour since I started working at Disney in the 80's. This is just another Union scare tactic.

Of course, you do have to remember that the Foods union doesn't have the power to do anything. You people won't strike, which is your only weapon, so Disney can do anything it wants and you'll take it.

Hard facts but true.

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - "Majestic, rugged land balances predator and prey; symmetry of life's plan takes your breath away." - The Time of Leaving (Tigers' Quest)

--== TIGERS' QUEST - www.tigersquest.com
    --== THE DOCTOR WHO AUDIO DRAMAS - www.dwad.net

• Mickey Mouse Slave

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthope View Post
    Yeah. I have to agree. I've been hearing this outsourcing rumour since I started working at Disney in the 80's. This is just another Union scare tactic.

Of course, you do have to remember that the Foods union doesn't have the power to do anything. You people won't strike, which is your only weapon, so Disney can do anything it wants and you'll take it.

Hard facts but true.

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - "Majestic, rugged land balances predator and prey; symmetry of life's plan takes your breath away." - The Time of Leaving (Tigers' Quest)

we have a no strike rule with Disney... but with the contract ending, most likely we can strike then...

reading the contract really does help...
    ~ A Cute, Little, Fuzzy, Silly, and Chubby Cast Member ~

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

I have a question: which divisions do NOT have a union, or dumped their union? And have things for them been better since?

I think most of them are unionized.

• Multi-decade CM

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    we have a no strike rule with Disney... but with the contract ending, most likely we can strike then...

All contracts have a no-strike clause. Once your contract is up, then you can strike.

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - "Yes, well, even dung can smell better after a few nights." - Tiggra explaining his philosophy about humans. (Tigers' Quest)

• Multi-decade CM

Quote Originally Posted by speederscout View Post
    I have a question: which divisions do NOT have a union, or dumped their union? And have things for them been better since?
    Characters and Slow Service do not have unions. Parade and Show Entertainment do not except for some special roles. (Mostly AGVA people with speaking/singing roles.)

Those are the only ones I can think of at the moment.

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - Save the Whales - Collect the entire set!

• Disney Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post

We don't make enough to strike. And I don't know anyone who would be loyal to our crappy union. I know I'd cross any strike lines.

i just wish someone had run against her, then we might have someone who actually cares about the CM's rather than their own paycheck......

I heard that the Photo Pass CMs were non-union as well. True?

I guess what I'm trying to get at is: do those without unions fair better than those of us with unions? It stretches the imagination to think that we've got it better...

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

Guest Relations is non-union.
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

Quote Originally Posted by RumRunner31 View Post
    Guest Relations is non-union.
    And do GRs have things better than CMs?

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast