Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• or CBF

A couple questions

I'm thinking of applying at DL around the beginning of the year, 2008. I just have a couple questions for you guys.
    1. Is this a good time to apply?
    2. I wil be commuting from North San Diego County. Does the commuter assistance program give discounts for public transportation, like the Metrolink and OCTA buses?
    3. My hours would be 7am - 6pm Friday through Monday, I would be applying for a part-time job, as that wouldn't be enough hours for full time, right?
    4. How long are shifts, and how many does a person in a part time role normally get in a week?

• Winter in Oceanside...

Re: A couple questions

Quote Originally Posted by caesarboxfan View Post
    I
    1. My hours would be 7am - 6pm Friday through Monday, I would be applying for a part-time job, as that wouldn't be enough hours for full time, right?
    You will probably need to be FULLY available (24/7, 24 hours a day) in order to be hired. That has been their policy in the past.

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

2. I wil be commuting from North San Diego County. Does the commuter assistance program give discounts for public transportation, like the Metrolink and OCTA buses?
    3. My hours would be 7am - 6pm Friday through Monday, I would be applying for a part-time job, as that wouldn't be enough hours for full time, right?
    4. How long are shifts, and how many does a person in a part time role normally get in a week?
    1. any time is a good time to apply, they need people badly.
    2. yes, there are discounts on bus passes & Metrolink available through the Team Center
    3. That sounds like CT (casual temporary) availability to me - weekends only. It will depend on the department you're applying to whether or not they're hiring CTs at that time. It's probably MORE likely they'll be hiring CTs during the holidays than after them.
    4. again, it depends on what role you're in. sometimes you'll get a 4 hour shift, sometimes you'll get an 8 hour shift and then they'll ask if you can extend. It all depends on the needs of the area. If you're only available 4 days a week, I'd expect about 20-26 hours a week.
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

• Multi-decade CM

I'm thinking of applying at DL around the beginning of the year, 2008.

Is this a good time to apply?
    They are desperate for bodies. Any time is a good time to apply. But of all the times you could apply during the year, you are actually picking the worst. But like I said, they are desperate and it shouldn't matter.

I wil be commuting from North San Diego County. Does the commuter assistance program give discounts for public transportation, like the Metrolink and OCTA buses?
    Yes. But have you thought of moving closer to Disneyland? Save gas, save the environment.

My hours would be 7am - 6pm Friday through Monday, I would be applying for a part-time job, as that wouldn't be enough hours for full time, right?
    Unless something has changed, that is too restrictive. They want you to be fully available on the weekends and holidays. Your first shifts would likely be night shifts. Though who knows. In the past, they paid lip service to public transportation but would not work around its schedule for new hires. Maybe that is different now.

How long are shifts, and how many does a person in a part time role normally get in a week?
    Shifts are minimum of 4 hours. Depending on how badly staffed the department is, you could get longer shifts. You might not. You can be scheduled anywhere from 0 to 40+ hours a week, depending on the time of year and staffing needs.

Hope all that info helped.

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - A big enough hammer can usually fix anything.

--== TIGERS' QUEST - www.tigersquest.com
    --== THE DOCTOR WHO AUDIO DRAMAS - www.dwad.net
    --== A CHRISTMAS SPECIAL - http://christmas.dwad.net

• Multi-decade CM

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY View Post
    You will probably need to be FULLY available (24/7, 24 hours a day) in order to be hired. That has been their policy in the past.
    Love your avatar.

But your information is waaaaaay wrong. Never have they wanted 24/7, 24 hour a day availability except for summer and holidays. And even then the 24 hour a day availability was only for Grad Nights and those were easy to escape.

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - "The past is gone and its marks can not be unmade." - Wise Old Owl (Tigers' Quest)

--== TIGERS' QUEST - www.tigersquest.com
    --== THE DOCTOR WHO AUDIO DRAMAS - www.dwad.net
    --== A CHRISTMAS SPECIAL - http://christmas.dwad.net

I'm thinking of applying at DL around the beginning of the year, 2008. I just have a couple questions for you guys.
    1. I just have to echo the sentiment that it's always a good time to apply. However, some areas have more openings than others. I can guess, just based off the Casting Scout programme, that they probably need more people in the following areas right now:
    • Attractions
    • Cast Management
    • Custodial
    • Disney Desks
    • Distribution Centre
    • Operations & Entertainment Costuming
    • Textile Services
    • Food Operations
    • Guest Research
    • Guest Relations
    • Main Entrance
    • Hotels Foods & Beverage
    • Hotel Lodging
    • Resort Transportation and Parking
    • Security
    • Entertainment
    • Store Operations
    • Photo Imaging
    2. The Commuter Assistance Programme gives discounts for Metrolink passes, and free bus fare on OCTA. However, if you're coming from North San Diego County, you might find that the transit schedules aren't in sync with the hours you might be working.

3. With those hours, you might want to try for CR-SS status, so you can only be scheduled on the weekends.

4. It depends, I work shifts personally ranging from 4-12 hours. Like I said, you might want to try for CR-SS status.
    Last edited by glendalais89; 11-28-2007 at 12:27 AM.

I'm a CR (Casual Regular) and im weekends only (fri-sun)

I'm a CR-SS, so they DO exist (and you're welcome for your weekends off).
    1. It'll be fine. Anytime is good to apply.
    2. Commuter assistance does help, but dear lord you're going to want to be closer. San Bernardino County is bad enough.
    3. With those hours, you'd be lucky to get hired in. You would end up being put in DCA, though, as your availability suits their operating hours.
    4. 4 hour minimum. You can get shifts in everything as a part-timer.

• or CBF

Thanks for all the info. I'm just weighing my options right now. My hours might be a little more flexible, I'll know for sure come the beginning of the year. I know that SD County is kinda far, and that will play into my decision.

Thanks for all your help,

CBF

• Found my prince!

What does cast management do?

• Mickey Mouse Slave

Thanks for all the info. I'm just weighing my options right now. My hours might be a little more flexible, I'll know for sure come the beginning of the year. I know that SD County is kinda far, and that will play into my decision.

Thanks for all your help,

CBF
    no to mention, sometimes you get some really odd hours. like 6:30PM - 2AM... im not sure you will find trains running at 2AM...
    ~ A Cute, Little, Fuzzy, Silly, and Chubby Cast Member ~

Also, training for attractions always involves at least one close and one open. You'll need some flexibility to be sure.

All the above advice is great. One thing was left out, depending on when you actually want to start work, you might consider applying now. It takes Disney about a month from start to finish to be hired. So if you want to be working by the beginning of Jan, you'd need to start the process now. When I applied beginning of June, I didn't get a hire date until July 11th. Almost a whole month. Good luck. It's a great place to work if you're okay with the hours and pay scale, and remember you will work holidays and not always do they fall on a weekend. People always complain that the wages aren't the greatest, and they may not be coming from such a great distance like you state you will be. Best advice, move closer and apply now or soon.
    Cheers!
    My new motto for 2008 - "If you will live like no one else today, later you can live like no one else." - Dave Ramsey.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by toadann View Post
    All the above advice is great. One thing was left out, depending on when you actually want to start work, you might consider applying now. It takes Disney about a month from start to finish to be hired. So if you want to be working by the beginning of Jan, you'd need to start the process now. When I applied beginning of June, I didn't get a hire date until July 11th. Almost a whole month. Good luck. It's a great place to work if you're okay with the hours and pay scale, and remember you will work holidays and not always do they fall on a weekend. People always complain that the wages aren't the greatest, and they may not be coming from such a great distance like you state you will be. Best advice, move closer and apply now or soon.
    Cheers!
    Actually, sometimes it takes a few hours to get hired.

It depends on what's available and what you're willing to accept.

Depends on what the demand for CM's is and whether they're running a Job Fair

Depends on personal circumstances such as background.

Depends on how you do on the 'aptitude' test and personal interview

• Fastest Man Alive

1. Apply whenever. Job fairs are almost constant
    2. Disney does participate in Commuter Assistance Programs.
    3. Only available for day shifts starting off? Even if they agree to this during the interview, once your 1st schedule comes out you will discover nothing but closing shifts. Sorry, but working your way to days or mornings is a seniority thing. In most positions FT (if you get statused) is regarded as a minimum 30 hours a week. Fall below that level, you lose your status. In most departments you don't start as full-time either, but have to work up to Part Time.
    Cast Members are traditionally required to be available all day Saturday and Sundays.
    4. Shifts are a minimum of 4 hours. During extremely slow off-seasons, a new hire can expect around approximately 12 hours a week. However, during peak times (summer, winter holidays, spring break etc.) even a new hire should have little trouble picking up 40 hours a week.
    "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast