Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Going from WDW to DLR

I'm a current CP at WDW in operations and I love it. My program is almost up and I know for a fact I want to go fulltime. A recent trip out to DLR made me think maybe I should go fulltime there.

How does one go "full-time" at DLR? I know at WDW its as simply as walking into casting and pretty much getting a job (espically easy for me since I'm already working for the company and would stay where I am now). Is it as easy at DLR or is is hard to get hired there? I would like to work in attractions but my short-term (as in a few years) would be to land a guest relations spot (I realize I would have to transfer over to after gaining some experience at the resort).

Would it be stupid to transfer from WDW over to DLR? My managers have told me I could probably become a trainer on my attraction within a few months of going full-time and that they see a lot of potential in me. I know by going over to DLR I pretty much lose that manager backing and have to start from ground zero again but if you prove yourself can you quickly move up to be a trainer or even a lead in attractions?

How hard is it to move up at DLR? I know moving up in Disney isn't the easiest thing but some people I talk to say it would be alittle easier at DLR then WDW since it is smaller but others say the exact opposite.

Would it maybe be best for me to do the DLR college program to get my foot in the door at the resort?

What would you recommend? Staying at my current location and perhaps become a trainer in a few months and maybe a coordinator within a year/year-and-a-half or going out to DLR and gaining experience there? Would it look good on a resume when I was applying for say a guest service manager spot that I worked at and learned about both resorts?

I know that right there is about a million questions but any help or advice at all would be greatly appericated.

Thanks!

• Minion

Re: Going from WDW to DLR

How do you plan to live out here? Do you have someone to live with? Even working full time at DLR won't give you enough money to live in S. California. Tell us about those plans.
    I want my cake back!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by seenoevil View Post
    How do you plan to live out here? Do you have someone to live with? Even working full time at DLR won't give you enough money to live in S. California. Tell us about those plans.
    100% with you on that one. Totally think it's awesome for you to want to do it but depending on your finances, it could be a very hard life. It's doable, but it won't be because of your income... it'll be very dependent on your own savings.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Yea, we don't make enough to live on out here. Which is why DLR has such horrible turnover.

How does one go "full-time" at DLR? I know at WDW its as simply as walking into casting and pretty much getting a job (espically easy for me since I'm already working for the company and would stay where I am now). Is it as easy at DLR or is is hard to get hired there? I would like to work in attractions but my short-term (as in a few years) would be to land a guest relations spot (I realize I would have to transfer over to after gaining some experience at the resort).
    FT status here is mainly promoted from within the resort. Some people do hire in as FT, but its fairly rare. If you're talking about just plain getting a job, that's pretty easy.

Also, we do hire Guest Relations off the street, for the record. It's not easy, but it is possible.

Would it be stupid to transfer from WDW over to DLR? My managers have told me I could probably become a trainer on my attraction within a few months of going full-time and that they see a lot of potential in me. I know by going over to DLR I pretty much lose that manager backing and have to start from ground zero again but if you prove yourself can you quickly move up to be a trainer or even a lead in attractions?

How hard is it to move up at DLR? I know moving up in Disney isn't the easiest thing but some people I talk to say it would be alittle easier at DLR then WDW since it is smaller but others say the exact opposite.
    You can move up fairly quickly (at least in Foods, not so sure about Attractions, but I'm sure it's the same) just because turnover is so high that after a while, you end up being the most senior person there.

Overall, I would honestly say stay in Florida unless you already have a base by which you could support yourself here. You already seem well integrated with WDW, so I would take that and run with it, rather than heading out west and having to start all over.

Ignore please. I accidentally double posted.
    Last edited by glendalais89; 12-04-2007 at 02:22 PM.

I didn't see my first check surpass $200 until after my second year. Once I was scheduled six 4 hour shifts. I was soooo ticked. Of course this was being a CT making under 6 bucks an hour a long time ago...

My first few years there would have been really though had I not been living at home. Once I became a Lead and knew what areas needed daily overtime everything became easier to manage so I set off on my own after 3 years being there. Each year wage increases occurred, job knowlege expanded and I eventually became Lead. Then began venturing into furthering that but was sidetracked by life's tragic incidents. It's a tough one if you're on your own but I've seen it done many many times before. Just remember that it does cost quite a bit to live here and our Cast is a tad different than Orlando (from what I've experienced). Good luck!

•   

Don't lose the senority you have established at WDW. Because of the size of WDW, there are inherently more opportunities for advancement.

It's also cheaper to live in Orlando, as mentioned before. In my opinion, the quality of life is also better. I have moved back and forth between LA and Orlando MANY times in the past 20 years. There are reasons why I always come back here.

Stay where you are.

Also, understand that your opinion of your job may change if you do it 40 hours a week and rely solely on it as your source of income. I loved working at the MK PT back in 1989. I decided to work there full time in 1990. I could rarely get more than 30 hours a week and my desire to earn a promotion brought me much deeper into the "politics" of the company. As with any large company, it can get ugly. I think it was one of the most fun places to work when I did not need the money, but once that changed I hated it. Yes, that is just ONE opinion, but I want to share it with you.

Again, stay where you are.
    Last edited by PhotoMatt; 12-04-2007 at 08:52 PM.

hey I'm kinda in the same situation that you are- did my CP at WDW last fall, then dropped to seasonal status to come home and finish school. Once I graduate I'm planning on going back, but as much as I LOVED florida, I'm really looking into going to anaheim simply because it's much closer to my friends and family- a five hour drive compared to like a 30 hour drive....

So anyways, I guess my question to the people that are currently there- ok so the pay sucks and isn't enough to cover COL, but is that going to change anytime in the near future? I mean, when will DLR get sick of the turnover and realize that in the financial long run it will be smarter for them to just start paying their CMs better? Or am I completely out of the ballpark and the cost of hiring, training etc. is still less of a cost than higher pay would be???

So really, what exactly is it in CA that makes the cost of living so high? Is it just the housing? Or is it everything?? - ike basic stuff, clothes, food, toothpaste etc?

And just as a sidenote- not a huge factor in your decision, but just a FYI-- in talking to people that work in DLR's entertainment dept (which is where I work in WDW), there's basically an attitude that if you aren't a DLR CM, then you're scum. They can be quite rude actually. And it doesn't just seem to be the "not-so-friendly rivalry" between DLR and WDW, because it's especially to people completely outside of the company. Now before anyone gets their panties in a knot, I'm not saying this is how all DLR CMs are, or even all DLR ent. CMs...... just something to think about because it really actually soured me on the moving to CA idea.....

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by kcw View Post
    So really, what exactly is it in CA that makes the cost of living so high? Is it just the housing? Or is it everything?? - ike basic stuff, clothes, food, toothpaste etc?
    Its mostly the housing and cost of transportation. Expect to pay at least $900 - $1000 per month -- probably even more -- for a one bedroom apartment that is at least decent. You might be able to find a one bedroom for less but those are usually not as nice and in not as nice of a neighborhood. Transportation is the other issue. You can get to and from work using public transportation but it is inconvenient. With gas being around $3.50 per gallon and the distance to the DLR from an area that is decent and affordable, transportation can be quite high. The basic stuff may be more or less the same as elsewhere. But it is these two things that are the worst.

An alternative to living alone is living with roomates. It is getting more common now to see people not only apartments but also sharing rooms -- not the best situation but you have to do what you have to do. It is not uncommon to see 4 people sharing a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment.

• A New Kind Of Villain

Quote Originally Posted by kcw View Post
    hey I'm kinda in the same situation that you are- did my CP at WDW last fall, then dropped to seasonal status to come home and finish school. Once I graduate I'm planning on going back, but as much as I LOVED florida, I'm really looking into going to anaheim simply because it's much closer to my friends and family- a five hour drive compared to like a 30 hour drive....

So anyways, I guess my question to the people that are currently there- ok so the pay sucks and isn't enough to cover COL, but is that going to change anytime in the near future? I mean, when will DLR get sick of the turnover and realize that in the financial long run it will be smarter for them to just start paying their CMs better? Or am I completely out of the ballpark and the cost of hiring, training etc. is still less of a cost than higher pay would be???

And just as a sidenote- not a huge factor in your decision, but just a FYI-- in talking to people that work in DLR's entertainment dept (which is where I work in WDW), there's basically an attitude that if you aren't a DLR CM, then you're scum. They can be quite rude actually. And it doesn't just seem to be the "not-so-friendly rivalry" between DLR and WDW, because it's especially to people completely outside of the company. Now before anyone gets their panties in a knot, I'm not saying this is how all DLR CMs are, or even all DLR ent. CMs...... just something to think about because it really actually soured me on the moving to CA idea.....
    Regarding the COL for CA, it's a combination.

Rent is astronomical. If you live in a 1 bedroom or studio by yourself, don't expect to pay less than $1,000/month in Orange County. The way people seem to get along is 4 people in a 2 bedroom. 2 Bedrooms kind average around $1,250 - $1,750.

Utilities are steep as well unless you live in Anaheim proper. Anaheim Utilities are publicly owned. We pay about $150 every 2 months (They bill every 2 months).

Car insurance prices are also a bit steeper. You won't feel it as much on food unless you eat out a lot and gas prices around Orange County are kind of average for the US right now (About $3.25/gallon).

The way I see it, being a DL CM is about being part of a labor of love rather than making living wages. Most CM's I know who live on their own and don't rely on packing apartments full of people, tend to have 2nd jobs that actually pay living wages.

The trick is to make your own choices on what you want out of the experience and your life in general.
    Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

Quote Originally Posted by seenoevil View Post
    I have a few people to live with. A relative is going to school out there for a year or so and a few other people from my work location are thinking about moving out there, so we probably would squeze a few people into a small apartment.

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'm going to talk to casting here and there and see what my opportunities are.

Any other tips or comments about full time at DLR?

• A New Kind Of Villain

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRnR View Post
    Any other tips or comments about full time at DLR?
    Unless you hire in to ODV, I wouldn't plan on being FT for at least a year.
    Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

I would suggest calling Disneyland's Casting Center at 800-766-0888. I tried to find a tie line but am so far unable to. You could just dial 8-232-4000 from a WDW phone and ask them to transfer you.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoMatt View Post
    Don't lose the senority you have established at WDW. Because of the size of WDW, there are inherently more opportunities for advancement.

It's also cheaper to live in Orlando, as mentioned before. In my opinion, the quality of life is also better. I have moved back and forth between LA and Orlando MANY times in the past 20 years. There are reasons why I always come back here.

Stay where you are.

Also, understand that your opinion of your job may change if you do it 40 hours a week and rely solely on it as your source of income. I loved working at the MK PT back in 1989. I decided to work there full time in 1990. I could rarely get more than 30 hours a week and my desire to earn a promotion brought me much deeper into the "politics" of the company. As with any large company, it can get ugly. I think it was one of the most fun places to work when I did not need the money, but once that changed I hated it. Yes, that is just ONE opinion, but I want to share it with you.

Again, stay where you are.
    Shortly before I left I was pondering moving over to Florida at WDW but I don't like reptiles

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Its mostly the housing and cost of transportation. Expect to pay at least $900 - $1000 per month -- probably even more -- for a one bedroom apartment that is at least decent. You might be able to find a one bedroom for less but those are usually not as nice and in not as nice of a neighborhood. Transportation is the other issue. You can get to and from work using public transportation but it is inconvenient. With gas being around $3.50 per gallon and the distance to the DLR from an area that is decent and affordable, transportation can be quite high. The basic stuff may be more or less the same as elsewhere. But it is these two things that are the worst.

An alternative to living alone is living with roomates. It is getting more common now to see people not only apartments but also sharing rooms -- not the best situation but you have to do what you have to do. It is not uncommon to see 4 people sharing a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment.
    Paid 1200 a month for a 1 br JR but the nice thing was I could walk to the Cast Member lot in under 10 minutes and just shuttle in if I didn't feel like wasting the gas. What can I say? I lived in a nice place surrounded by a complete blah...so I guess that's where the money got factored in.

There's some decent one's around here too but this place promised me a CM discount and all that stuff- turned out to be a nightmare but that wasn't TWDC's fault. Looking back- it was a learning experience and I can still hold my head high knowing I never asked for a handout to get through the times. I once had no electricity for 2 days Allllllllllll my ice cream melted As always- good luck..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast