Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Imaginative Possibilities

Question Disneyland Resort Orientation

Ok everyone heres a chance to have an immediate effect on the future cast members of the Disneyland Resort... i have a position in the Learning and Development team at Disneyland and a re-write of the Traditions Orientation is coming up. The focus of this re-write is to lean moreto the history, values, culture, and heritage that is Disney.

So I would like to ask everyone here what they would like cast members to know or learn about. What should they know? If you were to get a job at the resort, what would you like to know? What should the Orientation focus on? What is important to know?
    You can't talk S*** unless your gonna do something about it...

Re: Disneyland Resort Orientation

if your actually serious about this thats great I feel i didnt get enough of that in my traditions 2 and a half years ago. I am very interested in joining disney university one day I feel traditions should be what the name implies disneys traditions, values, everything that is disney given in a way that makes you feel like "Wow I am a CM" PM me with advice on how to cross u into disney university if you have any postions opening in the near future

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by IMAGINE View Post
    Ok everyone heres a chance to have an immediate effect on the future cast members of the Disneyland Resort... i have a position in the Learning and Development team at Disneyland and a re-write of the Traditions Orientation is coming up. The focus of this re-write is to lean moreto the history, values, culture, and heritage that is Disney.

So I would like to ask everyone here what they would like cast members to know or learn about. What should they know? If you were to get a job at the resort, what would you like to know? What should the Orientation focus on? What is important to know?
    the idea proposed sounds fine. I agree that the focus does need to be on the original philosophy of the disney company which started with walt disney and his business partner "Mickey Mouse"

what I would like to see is mainly what walt wanted: the cast members to see disneyland like he did: a magical wonderland where all guests not just the kids but whole families can go and have fun in a safe, clean, well run, park.

he also wanted the cast members to not only feel that they can enjoy the work they do, but also help in any way, shape, and form to make all guests visits magical and that when they leave the resort(well, pre resort expansion was just the disneyland park) they will have the thought of "we are definetly coming again."

I don't know if there's an actual script for Traditions, but if there is, lose some of it and let the Facilitators be a little more open about it. Certainly not to the point of discouraging New Hires, but, truth be told, some of the stuff they did at mine seemed so forced and corny that it completely overshadowed any message it may have been trying to get across.
    Last edited by glendalais89; 01-02-2008 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Eh, I realized how impossible some of it would be

It's pretty long and lame as is, so short of gutting it and starting a new i don't know what more you can do with it.I could have done with out most of the films about anti trust and what not and used a proper tour of backstage and been shown where all the cafeterias are(for instance) instead of a slide with a pictures.I still have no idea where most of them are.

• Disneyland is your land.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruiner View Post
    It's pretty long and lame as is, so short of gutting it and starting a new i don't know what more you can do with it.I could have done with out most of the films about anti trust and what not and used a proper tour of backstage and been shown where all the cafeterias are(for instance) instead of a slide with a pictures.I still have no idea where most of them are.
    I had a full tour in my first class back in 05 and then most recently it was a half tour of just Disneyland. They just showed you pictures?
    Class of 2005...

Quote Originally Posted by IMAGINE View Post

I sure love me a can of worms.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    I sure love me a can of worms.
    Gummy worms are ok, but I prefer red vines.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

You're pretty much my hero right now.

• Senior Minion

1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

For me, understanding Walt is understanding your role as a CM. I would focus on a quick (real quick) bio of Walt and focus on what he was willing to sacrifice to make Disneyland special (mortgaging his house for the Twain, etc.). In my case, learning what he risked and how much of himself he gave to make Disneyland a success made it much easier for me to give that little bit extra of myself. 'If that guy could risk his position in the company named after him for this place, I'm sure I can stop dying my hair and turn off my cell for it.'
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

• Former Cast Member

I think that a more understandng of Walt and his philosophy and the history of his company is essential. But, don't forget it has to cater to the interest level of the new cast members of today. It seems that interest is lacking, which I have seen in my last Traditions. I have seen new hires thoroughly bored with the presentation and goofing around. I can understand that with certain elements of the orientation. But, it needs to be made fun and maybe have more trivia involved.

When I went to my first orientation back in 1977, there was a lot of good things to see in both the back areas and out on stage, which today's orientation is certainly lacking. Add more of that again.

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by PLAZAINN1 View Post
    I think that a more understandng of Walt and his philosophy and the history of his company is essential. But, don't forget it has to cater to the interest level of the new cast members of today. It seems that interest is lacking, which I have seen in my last Traditions. I have seen new hires thoroughly bored with the presentation and goofing around. I can understand that with certain elements of the orientation. But, it needs to be made fun and maybe have more trivia involved.

When I went to my first orientation back in 1977, there was a lot of good things to see in both the back areas and out on stage, which today's orientation is certainly lacking. Add more of that again.
    I agree with this 100%. When I had my first orientation back in '94, it was a long drawn out affair... very informative and heck, a lot longer then the orientations now, and I loved it. My later orientations, '00 and '07... were shorter, less on the information and but more on the nitty gritty stuff that kids these days care about. Benefits, sign-ins, scheduling, etc. etc.

... but even when I went through Orientation a second and third time (because I rehired) then I noticed that they had to "dumb it down" a little because of the quality of people coming in. What a lot of non-Cast Members don't seem to realize is that the quality of your average kid being brought into the work force is atrocious. Kids are being raised in an "immediate gratification" age. No more having to wait for anything... you see the results here and now. No portal mail mail, no going out to do anything social with friends... everything is IMs and texting and chats. Kids are being raised VERY differently and coming out into the work force differently then ever before... with less work ethic in general then kids 10+ years ago. You will have to adjust for that.

Unfortunately as much as I'd love to see "more of Walt" in Orientation, with the shorter amount of time you have with them now... some things need to be cut. A lot of people coming into Orientation are not going to be interested in history and culture and stuff (kids nowendays, pleeeeleaze!) but more emphasis should be placed on what to expect working for Disney. I think a decent job is being done to inform these people for the upcoming hardships that is working for the Mouse... but these kids are coming out into the job WITHOUT any understanding of that. Either they are stupid or just weren't paying attention at all... do you think a history lesson will change any of that? If anything, with these kids, it'll just bore them to tears.

I honestly don't know if "more of Walt" like the DFs want would magically fix everything. If anything, I think it'll just go over these kid's heads honestly like it has with the amount of history and Walt that is in Orientation currently. Then again, some of these DFs are ones that have never been through an Orientation so most of them are just speaking about something they have no clue about.

Heck, I know this will never happen... but bring back the full eight-hour Orientations with a FULL tour.

Either that or bring back area tours with a front-line Cast Member. It was a pilot program (I was in charge of area tours for Riverfront Restaurants) that I was chosen to be a part of when they were revamping Orientation back in '96-'97 or so. Basically instead of letting the tour take up to two hours out of Orientation, they basically had the area tour done AFTER the new hire finished Orientation. So on the next day or so, I would have about 5-15 new hires that were going anywhere in Foods (didn't matter which department, it was done by divisions) and I had eight hours to show them around, do a FULL tour of Disneyland Park and show them EVERYTHING. I showed these kids each restaurant and food facility in the Park and what they sold, where the major attractions where, where the bathrooms nearest to each restaurant was, all necessary landmarks (First Aid, Security, City Hall, ATMs, their Manager's offices, scheduling) were for both Guests and themselves, threw in some official cited Walt history, took them to the local Company D, etc. etc. I also got Cast Members IDs done for those that didn't get it at Orientation, get them their locker... and at the end of their shift, graduate them by helping them get their first costume. Even snuck in a few rides here and there to keep it fun. It also gave the new hires a chance to get to know someone from their own department that they can talk to, a mentor of sorts, that could answer any questions/comments/concerns.

I basically treated it as a mentor program that I took a lot of pride in doing (and yes, I was already a Trainer so I did get my trainer rate for these shifts). I would do these shifts at a drop of a hat, even if it meant pulling another eight hour shift on top of my opening shift at Bengal BBQ (we were open for Magic Mornings back then), resulting in a 16 hour shift for the day. I guess my department trusted me enough to do these things (but never enough when it came to choosing Leads, sigh) and have Casting take the labor hit for it then to have someone else do them. I miss my Area Tour shifts... it was gratifying when someone that I did the Area Tour for runs into me in the Parks later and recognizes me and stuff. Or when some of those Cast Members will want to schedule meetings with me to talk over stuff or answer any questions that they might have that they don't feel comfortable asking a Lead or a Manager and help them with those issues and even schedule meetings with Managers (since I knew most all of them anyways) to "break the ice" and stuff so they would start feeling comfortable with them.

I remember this program well... and it's something that you might consider trying to resurrect and I will be more then happy to help you out if you need it.
    Last edited by Burnt Toast; 01-03-2008 at 01:25 PM.
    Burnt Toast
    The Magic Begins With Me...! 8:P

Talk about the points system. How to deal with scheduling situations...but mostly the points system. Most new hires have no idea about the points system and I cannot count the number that get to their first written before they figure out what it all means.

Forget Disney Magic...Universal performs MIRACLES!!!

• Disney Nerd

stress the disney look even more! and don't let people with visible tats/colored hair get past you DU.

oh and when talking about the disney look...get it right!

white socks for dca or tan pants only!
    black sock for all other pants
    nude nylons for all skirts!

you know how many times there is a cs on main street in a skirt that is sent to costuming because she has on white socks, and then whines because she is marked late!

yea she should read it, but the work ethic to do so isn't really there....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast