Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

I have just about had it with costuming

It's been bugging me for a while now, mainly because I'm big on the Disney Look and I do my best to always follow it to the letter. But it's hard to be Disney Look when there is nothing that fits you, the costume pieces are damaged, and the cast members in costuming can't or won't do anything to help you.

I've tried for 4 weeks now to get a new long-sleeved shirt, but they haven't had my size...ever. I tried to talk to someone about it and she took down my ID# on a sticky note and I never heard anything again. Last week I checked out a new skirt, got it upstairs to put it on and realized there was a button missing. Since I didn't have time to go get another one and change into that, I went downstairs and told them, and they scanned my ID and said they'd make a note of it. Sure enough, I went to turn it in at the end of the night and they told me I was going to be charged for breaking off a button. I can't wear the pants because if they fit in the waist it means I could fit all of micechat into the hips, and I won't wear the blazer because the 12 year olds in Indonesia that made them sewed all the cuffs crooked and nasty. THEN there's GC shifts, where a 10 in critter is a 14 in Tomorrowland and a 28 in Main Entrance.

I guess what bothers me is that I stand in City Hall and see people come in to file complaints from guests about "the CMs look trashy" because their pants are baggy or their shirts aren't pressed - and I know in the back of my head that if costuming could get their act together, half of these would go away. I once spent 15 minutes trying to show the costuming CM the difference between a sKirt and a sHirt on the computer screen. Why can't Disney figure out the costuming department?

/rant
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

• Multi-decade CM

Re: I have just about had it with costuming

It used to be a privileged to work in Costuming. New hires going directly to Wardrobe were rare. You had to transfer or re-hire in.

Now, Costuming is the haven for CMs they don't want to put in front of the Guests.

I'm surprised they tried to charge you for the button. I've never had that happen, and unless they can prove it was malicious damage, they can't do that anyway. (It's not just a contract thing, it's a legal thing.)

They never seem to have my size in BTRR hats. I went almost a year without wearing one because they didn't have my size. I didn't complain, though, as I don't like wearing hats.

Just another day at Disney.

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - The best way to remember your wife's birthday is to forget it once.

--== TIGERS' QUEST - www.tigersquest.com
    --== THE DOCTOR WHO AUDIO DRAMAS - www.dwad.net
    --== A CHRISTMAS SPECIAL - http://christmas.dwad.net

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthope View Post
    It used to be a privileged to work in Costuming. New hires going directly to Wardrobe were rare. You had to transfer or re-hire in.

Now, Costuming is the haven for CMs they don't want to put in front of the Guests.

I'm surprised they tried to charge you for the button. I've never had that happen, and unless they can prove it was malicious damage, they can't do that anyway. (It's not just a contract thing, it's a legal thing.)

They never seem to have my size in BTRR hats. I went almost a year without wearing one because they didn't have my size. I didn't complain, though, as I don't like wearing hats.

Just another day at Disney.
    Don't be too quick in all situations.

Costuming is also a lob where where hearing-impaired CM's can be found.

And there are varying degrees. So I always try to ascertain their capablilities when communicating with those.

Then, of course, there are just some CM"S who don't think or don't care.

wow, that sounds so horrible
    how much did they charge you for the button?
    that's really ridiculous

• Multi-decade CM

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYardDog View Post
    Don't be too quick in all situations.

Costuming is also a lob where where hearing-impaired CM's can be found.
    And people who have cleft hands, and muslim girls who have to wear headscarves at all times, etc.

Like I said, people they don't want to put in front of the Guests.

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory.

--== TIGERS' QUEST - www.tigersquest.com
    --== THE DOCTOR WHO AUDIO DRAMAS - www.dwad.net
    --== A CHRISTMAS SPECIAL - http://christmas.dwad.net

Quote Originally Posted by vroomichael View Post
    wow, that sounds so horrible
    how much did they charge you for the button?
    that's really ridiculous
    I got a manager involved and they dropped it.

The costuming CMs and I have had run-ins, but it's not really them that bother me - it's the actual quality of the costuming. If you can't count on costuming to have your size, or on every size 12 to fit the same, or on whatever you get once you find your size to have all the buttons and no tears and be pressed, then it leads to CMs keeping the same pair of pants and shirt that they know fits them forever. THEN you have the situation of THAT costume getting more wear-and-tear because it's being worn every day and less of a chance that that CM takes it home and washes and presses it every day and in the end you've got a workforce that looks...shleppy. I don't know if thats a word, but it sounds like what we look like.

• You Spin Me Right Round

In ODV, vendors alone have about 10 different costumes, 1 for each land, and then a few lands will have variations at times (some NO carts wear pirates, some TL carts wore nemo, etc.) And we are still only allowed 3 at a time, we spend more time in that damn building before each shift than is believeable.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RumRunner31 View Post
    I got a manager involved and they dropped it.

The costuming CMs and I have had run-ins, but it's not really them that bother me - it's the actual quality of the costuming. If you can't count on costuming to have your size, or on every size 12 to fit the same, or on whatever you get once you find your size to have all the buttons and no tears and be pressed, then it leads to CMs keeping the same pair of pants and shirt that they know fits them forever. THEN you have the situation of THAT costume getting more wear-and-tear because it's being worn every day and less of a chance that that CM takes it home and washes and presses it every day and in the end you've got a workforce that looks...shleppy. I don't know if thats a word, but it sounds like what we look like.
    Yiddish.

Though it's misspelled (to the extent you can say that about a foreign word 'englishized').

And it's not really the right word.

schmatte might be better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...Yiddish_origin

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYardDog View Post
    Yiddish.

Though it's misspelled (to the extent you can say that about a foreign word 'englishized').

And it's not really the right word.

schmatte might be better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...Yiddish_origin

AWESOME, thanks! I'm not a jew, I'm just Jew-ish.

Yea, Costuming tends to be one of those things that really frustrates me about working at DL.

I've been lucky in that the Pizza Port costumes are all relatively the same size (so a Medium is actually a Medium, etc.), but they never seem to have enough of the right sizes, particularly during Peak Seasons. This past week, I've been alternating between our normal costume and TLT's, which gets annoying since I have yet to figure out how to put on the belt properly. During these times, it just seems like they have either really big (2/3XL) or really small (2/3XS).

Not to mention that they basically let you check out anything, without checking to see if that's what you really need, and in some cases, hardly have any idea what you need. Some examples:
    • I was visiting DCA last month, and was walking around Paradise Pier. Anyway, this guy was walking towards (I assume) Pizza Oom Mow Mow wearing a Pizza Port costume.
    • At least one new hire has shown up wearing ODV's apron (the one with the pockets for change) rather than TL Foods' (the one without).
    • Also, while I can't be sure about this, I think I heard one of the Costuming CMs indicate to someone heading over to Main Street Restaurants that the female Tour Guide hat (I don't know how to put it, the round blue one which sorta looks like a helmet) was part of the costume. o_O.
    And it's probably only going to get worse, since a bunch of places are apparently getting costume redesigns over the next few years (among other things, I've heard they might give each TL attraction its own costume and move away from the Generic TL Attractions one).

Can you still check you account on the Hub? It's disappeared for me.

• You Spin Me Right Round

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    Can you still check you account on the Hub? It's disappeared for me.
    yeah, its gone for me, too.

I have never gotten a shirt with sleeves that fit, every one either comes up to the bottom of my fingers or is about two inches below my wrist, even though they are all supposedly 33" length. What amazes me is how consistent the wrong lengths are; it's not a range scattered between those two points it's those exact two points.

-Harry

• Theme Park Insider

Arg, I agree. When I ripped the seam of the back of my pants, I went in to costuming to get another pair, but there was only one left, and when I tried it on, it was mismarked and were waaaay too short! So I've had to keep my pants and sew the butt back together at home TWICE because otherwise I won't have any pants to wear at all in my size!!! So frustrating.

• Minion

I hate going to costuming too. I was lucky enough to find my size pants cuz I was looking in the wrong size area by mistake! Also, I went to get pants for Fly N Buy and stood there watching the carousel go around and around wondering where they were, cuz no one told me the pants had changed. I've even had them argue with me about which belt to use. I've used a particular belt for years, but the guy told me I needed a different one or my managers would yell at me. I told him I've never had a problem with management and the belt I had, but he kept on. I finally asked him, if it bothered HIM what belt I had. He said no, I said ok then and left. Always a fun time.
    I want my cake back!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast