Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Attractions Newbie - Tips/Advice Appreciated!

So, I used to work at DLR for about 6 months in Stores. I left early due to some issues at home, but I recently hired back in. I've had nothing but retail jobs, so I applied to stores. My only problem was that the only open position they had at the time that sounded appealing was in Tomorrowland Attractions.

I'm a little nervous, because this is way out of the league of anything I've done so far. So if any veteran Attractions CMs or Tomorrowland Attractions CMs have any advice or tips for a newb, I'd love to hear it.

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

Re: Attractions Newbie - Tips/Advice Appreciated!

Whatever you do, DON'T press the red button that says, "E - Stop!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dan - Tasmic! View Post
    This is actually very good advice, particularly if you're working Space Mountain and pressing that button means that a certain Foods CM who's working Pizza Port greeter will get overwhelmed with angry guests who will demand to know when it will be back up....

Yes, I hate Space Mountain downtimes. With a passion, no less :P. Just had to get that off my chest, lol.

But really, they'll go over all of it with you during your training, I'm sure (and I believe attractions training is 5-7 days, so you'll have it down pat before you get anywhere of being in a position to hit that red button), and it's probably not as hard as it seems.

Just remember to keep cool under pressure, and remember that the safety of our guests is paramount and comes before everything else, and I think you'll be fine.

Oh, and just for reinforcement, Space Mountain Red E-Stop button, BAD! (unless you hit it for safety reasons, in which case I'll be fine eventually )
    Last edited by glendalais89; 01-06-2008 at 03:24 PM.

Hope you don't mind gas fumes.

• A New Kind Of Villain

Isn't SM a cross-train only attraction?

On the bright side, I hear a lot of TL New Hires have been going to Nemo.

When's your Traditions?

BTW, consoles are only intimidating if you let them.

I'm in Adventureland Attractions on the Attraction with probably the most complex set of consoles on the West Side. As long as you take the time to learn them and become their friend, they'll treat you right.

We even had an E-Stop yesterday and I was in Tower during the Track Reset and Attraction Power-Up and I pretty much did it all with very little help. I was so proud of myself ^_^
    Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

Quote Originally Posted by glendalais89 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan - Tasmic! View Post
    This is actually very good advice
    I used to work at Pizza Hut, and our ovens had a big red E-Stop button. At my store, we turned off the ovens using the Power button, and never used the E-Stop button. There was a period of time when I was sent to another store because they were short on Leads, and they always used the E-Stop button to shut down, and it took about a week or so for me to convince them to shut down properly. Doing an E-Stop instead of a proper shut down just cuts power, and the oven doesn't go through its normal cool-down cycles and whatnot.

• Multi-decade CM

I once hit a Grand Slam E-Stop on Thunder Mountain! The ride was down for hours! Hahahahahaha!

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - I was born intelligent. Education ruined me.

--== TIGERS' QUEST - www.tigersquest.com
    --== THE DOCTOR WHO AUDIO DRAMAS - www.dwad.net
    --== A CHRISTMAS SPECIAL - http://christmas.dwad.net

Gas fumes & cigarettes t_t

A lot of the new-hire attractions (and the more difficult ones too) are really easy to get overconfident on. Yes, you can get the basic hang of a few simpler attractions in less than a month, but don't think you already know everything and are hot stuff. Avoid this and the more experienced cast members will respect (and like/support) you a lot more. It's also good to not have "_____ is really cocky" on a trainer recommendation.

Ask questions, it's impossible to cover every crazy situation in training. If you do something wrong, as long as you're still safe and learn from it things will usually be just fine.

If your attraction involves grouping, stay relaxed. You can get all frantic and crazy trying to leap all over the place and hustling guests into position, but just being consistent, clear and courteous will always work better overall. It won't feel like you're going as fast because you aren't stressed and yelling, but it'll make grouping much more fun and easier.

Finally, speaking of such things, the e-stop and power disconnect sequence should have a pause between the two whatever the order is. If you break Astro Orbiter by powering up too fast, everyone with a radio will in fact chuckle at you. Save the split-second ninja skills for station gates, "Stay back Little Timmy!" station stops and the like. I just say this because a friend of mine, at a major e-ticket... while the lead...
    Last edited by Alpine; 01-06-2008 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Clarity

hey there Im also in TL attractions!! I work with new hires alot so if you have any questions PM me ill get you hanging with the right crowd ^^

Hi! I'm a trainer at Buzz Lightyear ... my best advice to you would be to be mindful of your points and be prepared for a lot of information. My best trainees have brought their own paper to take notes. Now, it varies with each attraction but just do what you are taught by your trainer and everything should be fine. Please don't become another CM who falls quickly into the bad habits. I understand that it may be easier at times but remember that things are set up the way they are for many good reasons. Oh, and party button=BAD.

=) An have fun!

wow look how lucky you are you got me and nemo ranger 2 trainers giving you advice ^^ already starting off great in tomorrowland

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

Yes, think before you act, I advise. You may be refrerred to as the person who e - stopped HISTA!! Like me!! LOL

• A New Kind Of Villain

Quote Originally Posted by NemoRanger View Post
    Hi! I'm a trainer at Buzz Lightyear ... my best advice to you would be to be mindful of your points and be prepared for a lot of information. My best trainees have brought their own paper to take notes. Now, it varies with each attraction but just do what you are taught by your trainer and everything should be fine. Please don't become another CM who falls quickly into the bad habits. I understand that it may be easier at times but remember that things are set up the way they are for many good reasons. Oh, and party button=BAD.

=) An have fun!
    YES! THANK YOU!

One of my biggest pet peeves is other CM's telling me how to do my job by doing things their way.

I'm sorry, I was trained to do things one way and I truly feel that way is the safest so I'm not about to change my MO just because you think you have a better way of doing things.
    Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

Yeah, the going by what your trainer taught ties into my anti-cocky spiel. You'll find that a lot of the people telling newbies to do things differently are quite new themselves, and unfortunately the even newer folks don't always know this. Generally nothing good comes of it.

OG = OK!

In fact, after you're signed off, ask a lead to give you time to read through the OG and go over things a few weeks later. It's pretty much a given that something you didn't think of or completely understand during training will get tested by then, and it's nice to go double-check what's going on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast