Cast Shuttle Driver Honked At Me (K-Lot)

I turned down the K1 aisle the same time as a shuttle bus. We were heading towards each other. Clearly, this is an aisle wide enough for two lanes of traffic. However, the driver of the shuttle took up more space by driving down the center of the lane, giving me less room to pass. So, I just stayed to the right as much as possible as I passed him. That's when the driver laid on his horn.

Afterwards, I went to speak with the shuttle driver lead to understand exactly what their procedures are when cars and shuttles must pass each other. He basically said that cars must divert their course when they see a shuttle approaching them.

I'm not new to the Katella Lot, but this is the first time this has happened to me. Is this something that everyone is expected to be aware of, or do we just find out we did something wrong when we get honked at by the shuttle drivers?

• Minion

Re: Cast Shuttle Driver Honked At Me (K-Lot)

Quote Originally Posted by Code90 View Post
    I turned down the K1 aisle the same time as a shuttle bus. We were heading towards each other. Clearly, this is an aisle wide enough for two lanes of traffic. However, the driver of the shuttle took up more space by driving down the center of the lane, giving me less room to pass. So, I just stayed to the right as much as possible as I passed him. That's when the driver laid on his horn.

Afterwards, I went to speak with the shuttle driver lead to understand exactly what their procedures are when cars and shuttles must pass each other. He basically said that cars must divert their course when they see a shuttle approaching them.

I'm not new to the Katella Lot, but this is the first time this has happened to me. Is this something that everyone is expected to be aware of, or do we just find out we did something wrong when we get honked at by the shuttle drivers?
    He's wide and tall, you're not so much.

He's heavy, you're not so much.

He (or she) is making sure you're aware of the shuttle's presence in spite of the obvious factors above in case you're still in Fantasyland or Pluto-tired from your shift or just a plain Goofy driver.

Personally, I avoid arguments and involvement, physically and otherwise with entities that are bigger and heavier than I am. I consider it a wise act of self-preservation and insurance minimization to give them a wide berth.

I also avoid going unusual directions in lanes in which the shuttles are likely to be going the opposite direction than I am.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYardDog View Post
    I also avoid going unusual directions in lanes in which the shuttles are likely to be going the opposite direction than I am.
    After this little incident, I'll just avoid driving or parking in any aisle the shuttles have access to.

• Senior Minion

Actually, if you listen to the spiel on the Tram it says that you should ALWAYS yield the right of way to ALL Disneyland vehicles - and that's for the Guests ... so I'm sure the same applies to the CM's.

Quote Originally Posted by TikiRoomLiz View Post
    Actually, if you listen to the spiel on the Tram it says that you should ALWAYS yield the right of way to ALL Disneyland vehicles - and that's for the Guests ... so I'm sure the same applies to the CM's.
    Since the shuttles are equipped with PA systems, I think it would be a better idea for drivers to make the same safety announcements to CM's as the shuttles pull into K-Lot.

I'm not sure if you've noticed, but they have erected a 14 mph radar-detecting speed limit sign in K-Lot. It's no surprise that CM's are driving too fast. That's another reason why shuttle drivers need to start spieling to CM's.

With that said, I don't think one can realistically expect CM's to remember a safety spiel from the guest parking lot tram to Mickey & Friends.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Code90 View Post
    With that said, I don't think one can realistically expect CM's to remember a safety spiel from the guest parking lot tram to Mickey & Friends.
    You do make a good point there, but I figured if they have the rule for guests they might for CM's also. Although, I do agree with you in that they should make this clear to the CM's. Maybe this is something that could go into a suggestion box, if they still have one.

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

Aren't all the lanes in KLot "one way"? I don't recall any of the lanes having parking stalls that face both directions.

No, there are three sections in K Lot that are two way. When they head to K1 from the Courtesy stop (after the turn), then they head down a one way lane. When they turn from K2 and all the rest of the way to the final pick up/drop off in the lot itself.

Yes, but the actual parking lanes, including the lane the shuttle takes between K1 and K2, are all one-way, right?

I guess I was confused on exactly where the OP was when they were honked at.

Quote Originally Posted by speederscout View Post
    Yes, but the actual parking lanes, including the lane the shuttle takes between K1 and K2, are all one-way, right?

I guess I was confused on exactly where the OP was when they were honked at.
    The area where I encountered the shuttle was the two-way aisle where the K1 stop is located.

All of the major aisles that run north/south in K-Lot are two-way (there are three of them). All of the rows that run east/west are one-way.

Ok, that IS ridiculous that you got honked at in a clearly two-way lane...

it's a weird lane. I know.
    Further down, it's a one way. But near the entrance is 2 ways.
    I usually check to make sure no shuttle is coming.