Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 43
  1. #1

    • Grim Grinning Psychopath
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Look behind you...
    Posts
    38

    Angry No Rehire?!? Shocked, Awed, and Steamed!

    Anybody know a Senior Recruiter?!?

    I just went to TDA last month (Dec.) to try to re-hire into DL Attractions after being away for over five years since 2000-2002. Admittedly, my rehire status was active but restricted, due to attendance (I'd have to work in another dept. for a few months), and I expected some raised eyebrows, but... after cheerfully whizzing through the new app. process and getting the interview, I was denied!

    My recruiter kept bringing up my attendance points from 5 years ago, and would not hear a word about how vastly improved my attendance was since I left the company. Get this... she didn't even call my other employers to verify -- I called them myself to check! Now I'm told I that have to wait 6 months and try again, but what's the first question I'll be asked then? You got it: "How was your attendance these past six months?" Arrrrrgh!!!

    Case in point: I was with BMS Catastrophe, Inc. as a lead carpenter, repairing Navy housing after Wilma/Rita/Katrina in 2005 & 2006. During the Key West portion of that contract, I worked for 10-12 hrs. a day, 7 days a week, for 6 months - 183 straight days. In that time, I called in sick twice. But was this considered? Nope!

    I've been unfairly stonewalled by an unfair interview, and I am beside myself. I am lobbying for all the help I can get on this issue regardless of the standard waiting period, B.A.S.E.S. be damned. My attendance rate has been EXEMPLARY in my recent (and more stressful) jobs, and I'm absolutely disgusted that that fact was ignored. Sure, rehire is never guaranteed, but this lies well beyond that consideration and borders on insult.


    I beg anyone with any ideas or influence in this matter to contact me and/or post here. There has got to be some way to appeal this besides just sitting here waiting for my turn again. Unbelievable!

    Thanks in advance for your input,
    SZ
    Last edited by SpectreZero; 02-05-2008 at 12:34 AM. Reason: grammar

  2. #2

    • insufferable know-it-all
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Location: Location
    Posts
    9,648

    Re: Shocked, Awed, and Steamed!

    Best advice is to apply when they need staff big time, you can tell because they'll start holding almost weekly job fairs. Right now they don't need a lot of people because it's off season and there are enough attractions down whose CMs are basically extra staff on the remaining attractions.

    When staffing is tighter, they can't afford to be as picky.

    Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...



  3. #3

    • Grim Grinning Psychopath
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Look behind you...
    Posts
    38

    Re: Shocked, Awed, and Steamed!

    Thanks, Morrigoon, I'm factoring that in. I realize that it may be Spring Break before things warm up. However, that still leaves me with a disproportionately long freeze, not to mention the fact that I was not dealt with "on the level" by this interviewer in the first place. Job fairs were being held during, and after, my interview date (I've still got snoops on the inside). It's unfair for Casting to hold me at arm's length for half a year while inexperienced CM's are hired by the dozen while I wait.

    That's why I'm seeking out those with more power and connections. The CM friends I still have are in unrelated fields, but no system is completely sealed from the outside.

    So the questions remain. Would contacting a former Manager or Senior Recruiter have any effect? And if so, how would one go about it? Maybe I'll just email or snail mail the Casting Office "ATTN: Senior Recruiting" with my case in detail...

  4. #4

    • Cast Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Anaheim
    Posts
    256

    Re: Shocked, Awed, and Steamed!

    There's a lot of better places that are a LOT more accommodating these days.

    I personally wouldn't go through THAT much hassle.

    If they don't want you, that's THEIR loss, not yours.

    Besides, I don't think it's worth the trouble of random shifts since it will take a while to get any seniority, let alone trying to bridge your previous service.

    HR/Casting isn't too bright over there in that ugly yellow building.

    Bye.

  5. #5

    • Hooterville, USA
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    The Haney House
    Posts
    10,176

    Re: Shocked, Awed, and Steamed!

    What can I say, Disney is big on attendance.

    They don't care about your last employer as much as when Disney was your employer.

    You got good advice from this site, just be patient.


    This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

  6. #6

    • Multi-decade CM
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    272

    Re: Shocked, Awed, and Steamed!

    Considering the employment retention problem, I'm surprised they are giving you a hard time.

    I'm not surprised that they brought up your attendance record. The fact that they denied you tells me that your answers to their questions were not satisfactory. Since we don't exactly have a transcript of your interview, we'll never know.

    All this fuss over working at Disney, bleh. The place is a disaster to work for still. I wouldn't sweat it. Work somewhere else for more pay, less stress, and more respect.

    Believe me, the fewer applicants Disney gets, the better it will eventually be for the Disney worker.

    Lighthope

    Pearls of Wisdom - Re: Gambling - If you can't afford to lose, you can't afford to win. - The Mighty Gazam (The Flintstones)

    --== TIGERS' QUEST - http://www.tigersquest.com
    --== THE DOCTOR WHO AUDIO DRAMAS - http://www.dwad.net
    --== A CHRISTMAS SPECIAL - http://christmas.dwad.net

  7. #7

    • Grim Grinning Psychopath
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Look behind you...
    Posts
    38

    Re: Shocked, Awed, and Steamed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthope View Post
    All this fuss over working at Disney, bleh. The place is a disaster to work for still. I wouldn't sweat it. Work somewhere else for more pay, less stress, and more respect.
    Duly noted, and not the first time I've heard that, online or in person. I'm not going to make this my be-all, end-all crusade (a guy's gotta' eat!), and I realize that this is not exactly the park I worked for five years ago. I appreciate your candor.

    But, once a soldier, always a soldier, and I will stay on top of this simply on principle, if nothing else. I was not given a fair shake, and I will not have that.

    Don't get me wrong... I'm not out to get hired just because I can! If (*ahem,* when) I'm hired back in, they'll get exactly what I promise them. I really do miss the job, regardless of how many hours I get or how the "system" has changed. If they end up pissing me off, then I'll move on peacefully.

    And let's face it, say "My Name is Earl" if you will, but I'm also out to redeem myself. Hey, that's just me.

    SZ
    Last edited by SpectreZero; 02-05-2008 at 04:14 PM.

  8. #8

    • Disneyland is your land.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    592

    Re: Shocked, Awed, and Steamed!

    Quote Originally Posted by SpectreZero View Post
    But, once a soldier, always a soldier, and I will stay on top of this simply on principle, if nothing else. I was not given a fair shake, and I will not have that.
    I can definitely attest that if they just judged you upon your previous attendance than you didn't get a fair shake. How can I tell? I had to leave because of attendance back in 2005. In my interview back in October they looked at the record (which was definitely not so spectacular) and asked how I had changed. I told them my story and next thing I know I get offered the job...

    Thus, either something else is hanging on your record or they told you no because we are extremely slow right now. I'd say try it again, but I'd argue that based on attendance ALONE, if I scored a new job and you didn't, then that is most definitely not a fair hand to be delt.
    Class of 2005...

  9. #9

    • .
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,923

    Re: Shocked, Awed, and Steamed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthope View Post
    Considering the employment retention problem,
    Tell that to the overstaffed Westside.

  10. #10

    • Grim Grinning Psychopath
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Look behind you...
    Posts
    38

    Re: Shocked, Awed, and Steamed!

    Quote Originally Posted by mainstreetcm View Post
    Thus, either something else is hanging on your record or they told you no because we are extremely slow right now. I'd say try it again, but I'd argue that based on attendance ALONE, if I scored a new job and you didn't, then that is most definitely not a fair hand to be delt.
    Can't imagine what else would be looming over my record, and I've heard quite a bit about overstaffing and such. It just burns me up that they would string people like me along rather than just admit "hey, things are kinda' slow right now." But then I've heard of dumber things from that building. I wonder how the other couple of dozen prospectives fared the day I was there.

    Maybe I came accross too seriously (which can throw a low-level recruiter waayyy off). Regardless, this has become my hobby now! Any other advice is welcome. Signing off fer' now...
    Remember: you cannot spell "manslaughter" without "laughter."

  11. #11

    • Multi-decade CM
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    272

    Re: Shocked, Awed, and Steamed!

    Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    Tell that to the overstaffed Westside.
    Give it a few weeks.

    Lighthope

    Pearls of Wisdom - Evolution has been so thoroughly discredited by science that it now can be classified among such other crackpot theories as Flat-Earth, Black Helicopters, and Elvis Is Still Alive. Evolutionists shouldn't be scorned, but rather pitied.

    --== TIGERS' QUEST - http://www.tigersquest.com
    --== THE DOCTOR WHO AUDIO DRAMAS - http://www.dwad.net
    --== A CHRISTMAS SPECIAL - http://christmas.dwad.net

  12. #12

    • Multi-decade CM
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    272

    Re: Shocked, Awed, and Steamed!

    Quote Originally Posted by SpectreZero View Post
    Maybe I came accross too seriously (which can throw a low-level recruiter waayyy off). Regardless, this has become my hobby now! Any other advice is welcome. Signing off fer' now...
    Okay, here's a piece of advice. I really, truly mean this. I'm not trying to be snitty or anything like that. You asked for advice, never ask a question if you don't want to hear the answer.

    I'm kind of glad they passed you over. Your reaction to their denial of your application tells me that you are somewhat immature. You've gone on and on about how "unfair" the process was. That someone is out to get you, they only looked at your attendance from five years ago, etc. Perhaps, just perhaps, you blew the interview. You said something, didn't say something, or did not have a history that testified to being a good rehire.

    I wasn't there. I don't know what transpired. But believe me, they didn't have a meeting that morning and talked about, if SpectreZero ever shows up, how they were going to screw you over. Instead, they looked over your record and looked over your interview and made the decision that you would be a poor hire.

    Determining who would make a good employee is generally a gut decision. A different recruiter may make a different decision based on exactly the same information. The one you got didn't like you. Get over it. It wasn't a conspiracy, it wasn't unfair.

    No one liked getting turned down. I'm a writer and just yesterday I got a rejection letter. It sucks. Especially since I've seen some of the (literal) "crap" they've published. That's the way things go.

    If you really want to come back to Disney (and I have no idea why anyone would right now), then suck it up, think over what you might have done wrong during the interview, and try again in six months. Your persistence will likely show in your favour anyway.

    If you continue to blame the interviewer, Disney, or anyone else for your problem, then you are never going to figure out how to improve and survive the next time you interview.

    In a nutshell: Get over it, grow up, and move on. Make sure your attendance is perfect for the last year or so and you'll likely do better next time.

    You wanted advice, there it is. Take it or leave it.

    Lighthope

    Pearls of Wisdom - "When a man steals your wife, there is no better revenge than to let him keep her." - Sacha Guitry

    --== TIGERS' QUEST - http://www.tigersquest.com
    --== THE DOCTOR WHO AUDIO DRAMAS - http://www.dwad.net
    --== A CHRISTMAS SPECIAL - http://christmas.dwad.net

  13. #13

    • Grim Grinning Psychopath
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Look behind you...
    Posts
    38

    Re: Shocked, Awed, and Steamed!

    Wow, that's a pretty big slap from one who acknowledged my own admission. Like I said, I may have come across too seriously, which is to say I may have spooked her a bit during the interview. I fully realize this.

    So, while I agree with your post, let's back off the throttle a bit, eh? It's hard to get all the nuances of the message across in text, but let me reassure you that I am not a stranger to rejection, nor am I trying to throw a hissy-fit.

    Yes, every interview is a gut call, and yes, even something imperceptable from my view may have tipped the balance. Hey, rooting for the wrong NFL team has lost people jobs. However, I rehired into DL once before without a single snag. This is not my first time around the block, here or elsewhere.

    Never have I assumed or stated that anyone was "out to get me." Nor have I blamed Disney, as you alluded to. This is simply a question of one person being lost in the shuffle and another person pushing the "no" button prematurely, and I'm out to bring that into the light. Even the Army allowed me to bitch about irrational orders (while still following them, of course, but I had every right to dispute them and point out their flaws). And to address one of your closing statements, my attendance was "perfect for the last year or so." That's precisely my point!

    The purpose of this thread is to find those who might know more than I about how to appeal to the system. If you took me as "going on and on," I was simply replying to posts as they came, not ranting without provocation. My apparent frustration is aimed at the fact that the positives outweighed the negatives but were overlooked. That's what I'm trying to say.

    So, once again, LightHope, I thank you and I do agree with your response, but it could use a little more water and a little less pepper.

    And yes, in case anyone was wondering, I'm an Aries.

    SZ
    Last edited by SpectreZero; 02-06-2008 at 07:48 PM.
    Remember: you cannot spell "manslaughter" without "laughter."

  14. #14

    • Multi-decade CM
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    272

    Re: Shocked, Awed, and Steamed!

    Quote Originally Posted by SpectreZero View Post
    So, once again, LightHope, I thank you and I do agree with your response, but it could use a little more water and a little less pepper.
    First off, let me say how pleased I am that your reply didn't spaz out. I know a lot of people who would have flamed, so kudos to you for understanding that my post wasn't an attack.

    I do want to say, however (and take it for whatever value you assign to it) that my opinion hasn't changed after reading your most recent reply. In fact, I am even more convinced the recruiter made a correct call in passing you over.

    One of my main points is that you tend to blame others. Just look at your latest reply:

    I may have come across too seriously, which is to say I may have spooked her a bit during the interview.
    his is simply a question of one person being lost in the shuffle and another person pushing the "no" button prematurely
    My apparent frustration is aimed at the fact that the positives outweighed the negatives but were overlooked.
    In each of those three statements I quoted from your own words, you have placed the blame on someone else. A "spooked" recruiter, being "lost in the shuffle," or your positives being "overlooked". Even when you do assign blame to yourself, you label it as "imperceptible".

    This is not someone who comes across to me as someone who accepts responsibility, and certainly not someone who I would hire.

    You can't have an effective cure without an accurate diagnosis. The diagnosis is you blew the interview somehow. The recruiter wasn't spooked, you weren't lost in the shuffle, and your positives weren't overlooked.

    Does that make things more clear for you?

    You can actually appeal a denial. I don't know how to go about it, though. But I do know it can be done. Or at least, it could be. I don't know if they do that anymore. You can call Casting and see if they still allow it. You can also ask why you were turned down. They used to tell you. I don't know if they do that anymore either. If not, it's possibly because of liability issues.

    Unless there is something you're not telling us (which I doubt that you are consciously withholding information), odds are you'll eventually get back in.

    Lighthope

    Pearls of Wisdom - Do not sweat the petty things; do not to pet the sweaty things.

    --== TIGERS' QUEST - http://www.tigersquest.com
    --== THE DOCTOR WHO AUDIO DRAMAS - http://www.dwad.net
    --== A CHRISTMAS SPECIAL - http://christmas.dwad.net

  15. #15

    • Grim Grinning Psychopath
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Look behind you...
    Posts
    38

    Re: Shocked, Awed, and Steamed!

    *sighhh* You've made up your mind and are picking out only certain segments to support your argument, rather than including the words around them in context. Surprising, coming from a writer. But I will humor you by addressing each fragment as you've dissected them:

    A) Your first quote from me is a plainly-worded admission of a possible mistake on my end; it means exactly what it says. How did it get misconstrued as an avoidance of responsibility?

    B) Quote #2 is a narrative from my perspective, so yes, it could be interpereted as a "boo-hoo." I meant it as another expression of...

    C) Quote #3, which is factual. I left TDA at 4:30 pm and got the call at 9:45 the next morning. I stated in the beginning, none of my improvements were investigated as I'd expect from any other employer. Impression held sway over protocol. No courtroom could turn that against me as "dodging responsibility." And looking back, I distincly wrote "even something imperceptible," meaning that I could have done or said something that I didn't notice, but she did. Hardly proof of my own denial.

    Hey, I freely admit that I may have, as you put it, "blown the interview," but that's hard to believe (careful now, I said hard to believe, not accept) since I acted exactly the same way twice before and aced each one! Now do you see where I'm coming from? Anyone in my position would have had the confused, dumbfounded sensation of, "Wait a minute, what'd I do?!?"

    Of course I'm not mad at you. I, unlike many, can tell the difference between a fight and a debate (both of which I adore, BTW). Aw, crap, you made me use net shorthand; maybe you did hit a nerve! Seriously, I haven't "spazzed out" or "flamed" at you because that's what people do when they're wrong. People get angry and defensive when they know they've lost. Ask anyone who knows me; if I am not completely sure of my case, if I so much as suspect I'm wrong or uninformed, I keep my mouth shut and ears open. But when I'm right, I have an impressive win-loss record.

    Again, Aries.


    P.S. Edit - I hope you aren't thinking that this is even remotely the way I conducted myself during the actual interview. To the best of my memory I was as friendly and reassuring as posssible; hell, I was even the only guy there with a tie! This is all strictly, as we said in the military, "after action review," not how I plan to present myself later.
    Last edited by SpectreZero; 02-07-2008 at 01:49 AM.
    Remember: you cannot spell "manslaughter" without "laughter."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. VMK Auction-Youll be shocked!
    By Horse-Maniac in forum Disney Interactive and Game Industry Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-06-2008, 03:32 AM
  2. I was shocked! Hi, I'm new.
    By lady_lovebaby in forum Disney Interactive and Game Industry Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-25-2007, 06:35 PM
  3. Steamed Milk (aka Hot Vanilla)
    By NeverNeverland in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-14-2006, 03:34 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •