Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Don't lets be silly! șoș

Question Types of Departments

So when TDA asked you to list 3 departments you'd like to be considered for, what departments do you have to choose from? And would that include Entertainment, as well as DCA departments?

I have my eye on a specific department at Disneyland, though I'm sure it wouldn't be wise to leave the other two options blank (though I wouldn't mind playing Ent. as a second option). Any help?

One last quick question, for name tags, do they go with the name you apply with or are you able to go with an alternative name?

Thank you for any help ladies and gentlemen.

Re: Types of Departments

Don't quote me on this but departments as attractions, costuming and third shift custodial(the three i chose) you don't pick a land or attraction, they offer you a land and then place you at an attraction in that land you don't really have a say as you go where they need people or can place people.I'd assume it's the same for stores and pretty much anything else.As for names it depends on the name, if you're name is Jeff but all your friends call you shorty or flower chances are your name tag will read Jeff.

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruiner View Post
    Don't quote me on this but departments as attractions, costuming and third shift custodial(the three i chose) you don't pick a land or attraction, they offer you a land and then place you at an attraction in that land you don't really have a say as you go where they need people or can place people.I'd assume it's the same for stores and pretty much anything else.As for names it depends on the name, if you're name is Jeff but all your friends call you shorty or flower chances are your name tag will read Jeff.
    That said, Lori (the whitest girl I know) has a name tag that says Loriqua.
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

•   

My name is Andy but I would want one that says Gilligan

I'm just taking a guess here, but I would say that the listed departmens are with the pay rate on their website?

So, in order, these are the ones I’m looking at

Attractions: Adventureland, The Jungle Cruise, would be my dream job come true. I wouldn't even care about working parades, or another attraction as long as I received time on the dock, or in the launch.

Disney's Dream Team: I'm not even sure this is something you can apply for right out of the gate; though this would be a wonderful opportunity to make many faces smile, and help to make the Dreams come true.

Security: I used to work at SDPS a few years back, so there is still some interest, though a far second from where my heart lays.

Guest Relations/Tour Guides: I've done the whole Customer Service thing, though not something I'd like to do again. Not to mention how I would most likely end up behind a phone for the first two months I'm sure; thus, part of the reason it's so low.

Wardrobe: It would be nice to be able to meet people from all areas of Disneyland; this would be a good place to do that.

Guest Research: This just seems interesting, though I have a feeling that it wouldn't be too interesting, and standing around with a clipboard stopping people in the middle of their fun to answer questions, doesn't seem too desirable... hum...

Any suggestions? What made you chose the department you're in?

As for the name tag, I thought it would be fun to change my name to Eian, or Ean, some form of Ian. Though my real name is quite different. Think they'd go for that?

• Fastest Man Alive

It wouldn't hurt to put Entertainment, but generally most of the hiring for that occurs during special scheduled auditions. As someone from off the street, they don't expect you to know all the different department names and such, but here are some suggestions.

*Attractions-
    *Parking Lot Attendants-
    *Custodial
    *3rd shift Custodial-
    *Circle D
    *Innoventions
    *Foods
    *ODV
    *Hotels Main Desk
    *Hotels Housekeeping
    *Hotels Valet
    *Hotels Merchandise
    *Security
    *Ticket Taker
    *Guest Relations
    *Photopass Photographer
    *stores host
    *parade/event support
    *costuming
    there are many many other departments, but if memory serves, those are what pops up the most. Dream Team is not hire in.
    "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    As someone from off the street, they don't expect you to know all the different department names and such, but here are some suggestions.
    And I'm no acceptation to the rule. I haven't a clue what most of the departments are =) so it's greatly appreciated Wally! Looks like I'm down to:

Attractions:
    Security:
    Guest Relations/Tour Guides:

Though Parade/Event Support sounds interesting enough.

I know why I want to work within Disneyland, and have deeply thought about where I would find my heart with in Walt's Dream. So here's hoping for Attractions, Adventureland, then onto The Jungle Cruse!

Though I know I'll still need to put 3 departments on my application. So, once again, thank you for the help ladies and gentlemen!

• Grim Grinning Psychopath

Best of luck to you, but fair warning:

The Jungle Cruise is particularly crowded right now -- the folks I know there are fighting for hours. Adventureland attractions consist of the JC, Indy, Tiki Room and Tarzan's Treehouse, but keep in mind that Tiki and Treehouse are more like extensions of JC and Indy respecively... usually CM's are pulled from the main attractions to work on those secondaries. So in A-land, you're left with JC and Indy, in a nutshell.

In a broader sense A-land, F-land, N.O. Square, Critter Co. and River all fall under the West Side Attractions Dept. which, at the moment, is overstaffed in general, and it'll probably stay that way until Spring Break. Pockets do open up here and there at random; a lot lies with your timing. If you're picked up in attractions, you may have to work somewhere else until you're farther along. Don't sweat it, most of my Tomorrowland buds are having a pretty good time!

Still, I'd go for Attractions and then pick two easily-transferrable choices; Show/Event Support and Custodial are good ones (hey, Custodial ain't a bad job... fairly laid-back, pays just as well as Attr., and you still get to interact). That way you can x-fer over later when the need arises. Warning: Don't choose Foods or Stores unless you want to stay there... all the people I know are having trouble "escaping."

Bring your showmanship to the orientations! When I first joined, I was dead-set on the Haunted Mansion (not knowing any better and being a haunted-house nut anyway). One of the group leaders, also a Lead on JC, picked up on my qualities and recommended me to the JC instead, and I stayed there for 2 years and never considered leaving for the Mansion.

Good Luck!
    SZ

PS - As for the nametag, it'll have to be something at least close to your name, like a short version or what not. Half of my friends, and even my family, call me "Boomer," but only Mr. Esiason has a chance of get that on a nametag.
    Last edited by SpectreZero; 02-08-2008 at 04:38 PM.
    Remember: you cannot spell "manslaughter" without "laughter."

• Curiouser and Curiouser

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMouse View Post

Guest Relations/Tour Guides: I've done the whole Customer Service thing, though not something I'd like to do again. Not to mention how I would most likely end up behind a phone for the first two months I'm sure; thus, part of the reason it's so low.

Does anyone know what steps one must take to become a tour guide> I have tons of knoweldge when it comes to Disneyland history, and to be a Disneyland tour guide would be a dream come true.

Talking Re: Types of Departments

SpectreZero, thanks for the thoughts. Just to clear a few things up: This is only going to be a summer job. I teach up in northern CA, and just wanted to follow my heart before I get too old. I'm single, and have the summer off, so when am I going to find a better time.

The reason for the Jungle Cruise is because it's one of the only rides (storybook is another) where you as the Cast Member get to be part of the ride. I would love that opportunity.

I'm most likely only going to be there about three months. Thus, moving from department to department wouldn't work seeing how you need to be in one for at lest three months in order to move to another.

I'm applying at the end of April, so hopefully, they'll need more people for the summer rush and hours.

• Fastest Man Alive

Quote Originally Posted by Tedi Bara View Post
    Does anyone know what steps one must take to become a tour guide> I have tons of knoweldge when it comes to Disneyland history, and to be a Disneyland tour guide would be a dream come true.
    You start in Guest Relations. This will include many shifts working the desk, and also the phone room. No one starts off as a tour guide. Rumrunner31 may be someone you'd want to get in touch with for better info.
    "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

• CM for 4 years!

As far as nametags go, as long as it's an actual name, I don't see why it wouldn't be allowed. Ian is an actual name, it could be what you're called, and the name on your birth certificate is not your common name or something. Like so many Kyoung-Youn Lee's go by Jenny, you know?
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

I'm most likely only going to be there about three months. Thus, moving from department to department wouldn't work seeing how you need to be in one for at lest three months in order to move to another.

I'm applying at the end of April, so hopefully, they'll need more people for the summer rush and hours.
    Not a bad time at all... I applied late May 2000 myself and pretty much skated right in. Some procedures have changed since then, but it's a good hiring time, regardless.

A summer/col. program recruiter just told me that May/April is when the're going to start their job fairs in force again. I'm wondering if this would be better or faster way for you, or if it would make any difference. Any thoughts, posters?
    Last edited by SpectreZero; 02-09-2008 at 02:01 PM.

I teach up in northern CA, and just wanted to follow my heart before I get too old. I'm single, and have the summer off, so when am I going to find a better time.
    Heyyyy, waitaminit... I'm in my 30's and I'm going back. "Too old?" I peeked at your profile age -- get the hell outta' here!

• Thanks, Ollie

Quote Originally Posted by RumRunner31 View Post
    That said, Lori (the whitest girl I know) has a name tag that says Loriqua.
    Pft, it's Latoya, thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast