Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Katella Lot

Katella Lot

This probably isnt a really good idea but than again I think it would be necessary to add two automatic gates, One for entering k-lot and the other gate to exit but upon exiting you have to swipe your castmember ID for the exit gate to open. This will discourage guests/patrons or employees from other buisnesses from trying to park inside k-lot . good idea/bad idea?

•   
    • I <3 o

Re: Katella Lot

way too time consuming and would cause traffic jams onto the street
    Is this haunted signature
    actually
    stretching?

Or is it your imagination, hmm?
    Rockin' Lady Adelade of Random
    also known as...
    Dominatrix of Randomness

Good point! To eliminate the supposed traffic jam, the entrance can be left open, but there needs to be more than one security guard to throughly look for hang tags.

If I was installing gates, I'd only do it at the entrances, the way the TDA parking structure is now. The exits have spike strips with accompanying signs that say "DO NOT BACK UP SEVERE TIRE DAMAGE." Katella Cast Member Lot already has the signs installed, although it would appear that the spike strips have been removed. If everyone coming in had an ID, I don't think it'd slow things down too much, but if an errant Guest came in or someone who was recently hired and has not yet been issued an ID, there would be issues.

Installing an automatic gate would also mean issuing RFID cards to all Cast Members and Employees who don't already have them, or having them fumble with using a barcode and/or magstripe reader mounted to the gate while in the car. According to a Cast Member I spoke to at the ID Center, ID cards with RFID chips cost the company approximately $5.00 to replace, and standard ID cards cost approximately 25.

curious about the RFIDs are they just given out if you ask or only specific people can get them?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz-c7Ees4QQ

Come Celebrate with us, we can't wait to meet ya!

They are only issued to Cast Members that need them. Some areas have doors that require an RFID card to access, and only certain Cast Members are allowed in those areas under normal circumstances. You may hear some Cast Members referring to their IDs as a "proxy." This is because we use HID Prox cards, information on which can be found at http://www.hidcorp.com/technology.ph...1&subcat_id=10. (As a side note, this annoys me ever so slightly. I personally refer to them as a Prox cards, or the more generic term, RFID cards, but never "proxy.")

I do have to admit that having one does make things slightly simpler. At Harbor Pointe or the H5 gate, I don't have to take my ID out of the plastic case to scan it. I just show the guard my ID, in its case, and use the RFID reader.

• Banned User

Last edited by disneyfan07; 05-02-2008 at 10:02 PM.

• Fastest Man Alive

Quote Originally Posted by BWthespian View Post
    This probably isnt a really good idea but than again I think it would be necessary to add two automatic gates, One for entering k-lot and the other gate to exit but upon exiting you have to swipe your castmember ID for the exit gate to open. This will discourage guests/patrons or employees from other buisnesses from trying to park inside k-lot . good idea/bad idea?
    Eh. The security shack kinda already accomplishes this. All they have to do is note what car comes in without a tag or ID and note it. Another security guard then goes after them.
    I would not be for swiping IDs. With large numbers of cast coming and going at the same time, I don't want to be stuck behind someone swiping a card when I want to leave. It is a very inefficient system.
    "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

I would certainly not be an advocate of scanning an ID to leave. What's the point? And as far as scanning an ID to enter, each of the shuttles would have to be equipped with a mid-range transponder like the FasTrak system to keep things moving efficiently, since it wouldn't make much sense to have the driver fumble with an access card. In order to keep things moving as quickly as they have to, especially during peak traffic times, RFID would be a necessity, not just a convenience. I doubt the company would want to deal with the time and expense of issuing new IDs to Cast Members that don't already have RFID chips in their ID cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Eh. The security shack kinda already accomplishes this. All they have to do is note what car comes in without a tag or ID and note it. Another security guard then goes after them.
    I would not be for swiping IDs. With large numbers of cast coming and going at the same time, I don't want to be stuck behind someone swiping a card when I want to leave. It is a very inefficient system.
    Ugh... when someone goes to try and get in at TDA and their badge doesn't work and they have to hit the call button to get access, the line of cars backs up all the way to Ball Road. I can't imagine that working for K-lot... not to mention that all ID cards would have to be updated to allow K-lot access, since K-lot is the overflow for B-lot, and B-lot itself is the overflow for TDA.

• Banned User

off topic: on my recent solo trip to disneyland (4/16) I noticed between two of the hotels along katella there was a parking lot. is that the cast member parking? or is that parking for one of the hotels??

• Mickey Mouse Slave

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfan07 View Post
    off topic: on my recent solo trip to disneyland (4/16) I noticed between two of the hotels along katella there was a parking lot. is that the cast member parking? or is that parking for one of the hotels??
    where? Theres 4 lots for CMs, Simba(serving Hotel/Paradise pier CMs) Ball(serving North/east CMs), TDA structure(serving TDA ppl) and K-Lot(serving everyone else that doesnt need to park in other lots)

Simba is located on Katella southwest of Paradise pier, Ball is located North of the structure, TDA is located on Ball rd and 5 freeway, and k lot is located on clemente and katella.
    ~ A Cute, Little, Fuzzy, Silly, and Chubby Cast Member ~

Smile Re: Katella Lot

Hello Everyone, I'm new to the site & I would love to catch up with everything going on. That's funny! for those of "us" that remember K-lot, KCML or whatever else you want to call it. And what about the therapy bus? I remember those days & shuttles. I used to be a shuttle driver. Does anyone remember Mickey & Friends Lot? When the cast members had to park get picked up & taken over & under the Grand California Hotel (underground)? that was fun, but so long ago. And what about the T.D.A. van?

• Skipping on Main Street

Under the stairs at Main St. train station

If you take a look at the gates to Katella Lot, you would notice that they are auto gates. This method was used a while back, but like it was said before it caused traffic jams and other concerns.
    Well Secluded, I see all!!!

Disney Paranormal Society

• Banned User

old school goofy, you provided info that I needed. the parking lot that I was referring to obviously was just one of the parking areas for one of the hotels then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast