Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• cmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcm

Cool Random Employment Questions

I'm starting my employment soon (Traditions on May 21st) and I keep thinking up these random questions and I don't really want to make threads for them, or I feel they don't warrant their own threads. So I decided I'd make a thread for my silly little questions, and leave it open for anyone else to ask mini questions. I hope this makes sense.

Anywho, here's some questions I have, to start us off:

What shoes do ya'll wear? I am going to be working in Fantasyland attractions. I for sure want some COMFY shoes, so where did you get your shoes?

How long can you hold on to parts of a costume? Can I have like two pants at once? I'm so afraid they wont have my size! I'm not skinny to say the least and I'm so terrified that they'll be like "yeah we only have REALLY SMALL SIZES FATTY" on some days. I am not worried about shirts but terrified of pants. Pantophobia if you will. (I know they have my size of pants, as I am tinier than some CMs I have seen, but I mean just on that specific work day)

How much is the food for cast members? About the same as in the park? I don't mean discounted food in the park, but food backstage.

And a fun one! How long did it take you to know where all those darn bathrooms are?

"I'm not funny. What I am is brave." - Lucille Ball

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

Re: Random Employment Questions

Quote Originally Posted by ashley solo View Post
    Anywho, here's some questions I have, to start us off:

What shoes do ya'll wear? I am going to be working in Fantasyland attractions. I for sure want some COMFY shoes, so where did you get your shoes?
    Any shoes, they have to black and polishable.

How long can you hold on to parts of a costume? Can I have like two pants at once? I'm so afraid they wont have my size! I'm not skinny to say the least and I'm so terrified that they'll be like "yeah we only have REALLY SMALL SIZES FATTY" on some days. I am not worried about shirts but terrified of pants. Pantophobia if you will. (I know they have my size of pants, as I am tinier than some CMs I have seen, but I mean just on that specific work day)
    I think you can hold the costumes as long as you want to, but they remind you after a year to return them and check out new parts.

How much is the food for cast members? About the same as in the park? I don't mean discounted food in the park, but food backstage
    Back when I worked in the parks, it was cheaper then inside the park, but still expensive.

And a fun one! How long did it take you to know where all those darn bathrooms are?
    It took me a while to know where everything is, including the bathrooms. I had to work different jobs before I got the idea where everything is located. I guarentee you that in due time, you will know where everything is.

• DLR Cast Member

You can actually "sign" out, 3 sets of costume total. I normally have 2 sets at home, and that way, if I have some sort of 'accident' I can get a change of costume. That also helps because I have a couple different costumes I can wear, depending on where I work each day.

• some imagination huh?

Yay! Congrats on getting hired!! Let me know what attraction you end up learning. That's my attraction area, so I'll probably see you around In answer to your questions (sorry I rant):

Omg Shoez:
    Pretty much any shoe that is black and you can polish. Just make sure it's something you don't mind wearing for long periods of time that doesn't have a thin toe part (if that makes sense). The last thing you want is to smack your foot into a vehicle while you're working

I personally wear Mary Jane Doc Martins.. they're cute looking and reliable, but be advised they're horrible to break in at first, and tend to stretch out. So if you happen to be a half (they only carry whole sizes) I'd recommend going down a size so it's a bit snug.

Costumes:
    You can check out up to three sets. Only one belt per costume though.. so make sure you don't leave the house without it because you can't get them special issued if you forget :] Pants are quite tricky.. make sure when you try them on at first to go a couple sizes up than what you normally wear. Example: in street clothes I'm about a 4.. in costume I'm a 10 (Disney sizes.. gotta love them)

Food (nom):
    Depends on where you go and what you'd like to get. Since you'll be in FL chances are you'll be eating at Village Haus a lot. I'd say for a cheeseburger, fries, and a coke it shouldn't cost more than about $5. Food at other eateries normally runs a bit cheaper, but takes longer to make.

Fun one:
    I cheated a bit and actually had an AP when I was younger, so I was quite well versed to the locations... but you'll learn through trial and error. But by the end of your first day of training around guests, you'll know where at least 2 restrooms in your location are. As for the rest... make good use of that Cast ID and go run around the park. You might also get Guest Control shifts in other areas or work Fantasmic! so you can pick up more location info... (Or you can just carry around a map and pretend to be uber "prepared" by showing a guest exactly how to get there... )

• cmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcm

Quote Originally Posted by JustALittleChange View Post
    Yay! Congrats on getting hired!! Let me know what attraction you end up learning. That's my attraction area, so I'll probably see you around

I personally wear Mary Jane Doc Martins.. they're cute looking and reliable, but be advised they're horrible to break in at first, and tend to stretch out. So if you happen to be a half (they only carry whole sizes) I'd recommend going down a size so it's a bit snug.
    Yay! I'll be sure to mention it if not in this thread, somewhere. I'm very anxious to see where I end up.

Thanks for the specific shoe advice, these shoes look quite perfect. Do you wear black socks underneath?

•   
    • I <3 o

Black socks with pants, white socks with shorts
    Is this haunted signature
    actually
    stretching?

Or is it your imagination, hmm?
    Rockin' Lady Adelade of Random
    also known as...
    Dominatrix of Randomness

• some imagination huh?

Yay! I'll be sure to mention it if not in this thread, somewhere. I'm very anxious to see where I end up.

Thanks for the specific shoe advice, these shoes look quite perfect. Do you wear black socks underneath?
    Looking forward to finding out! I was pretty bummed when I hired in to Toontown but I fell in love with it, so don't sweat it.. I'm sure you'll end up liking your area even if you don't think so at first. (It's uncanny how well they ended up placing me personality wise)

I agree, They're very girlish and fit nicely in FL. Like Adelade mentioned, black socks with pants, and white socks with shorts :]

• cmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcm

Quote Originally Posted by JustALittleChange View Post
    I was pretty bummed when I hired in to Toontown but I fell in love with it, so don't sweat it.. I'm sure you'll end up liking your area even if you don't think so at first. (It's uncanny how well they ended up placing me personality wise)
    I feel so bad thinking this way but I don't want to hire into Toon Town either. I am such a lil' brat. I'm sure I'll love wherever I am though.

So what they just go "here is where you start"?

Oooh, random question again: When I was at the Casting Center after taking my ID picture a recruiter was telling me and two others that our Traditions date is on our Traditions brochure thing, and under it is your next day of employment or something. Maybe I wasn't all paying attention, but the blank spot for that is crossed off on my paper, so it doesn't have a date, am I going to get that after traditions? And will I know where I will be after Traditions? It'd be cool if I could just go get my costume afterwards.

•   
    • I <3 o

At the end of traditions you'll meet with Art or Dean, the Attractions schedulers and they'll give you a schedule that has your first day of training on it. I didn't know my attraction until they called me later on in the week, I don't remeber if thats true for everyone. And you'll get your costume with your trainer on the first day of training.
    Is this haunted signature
    actually
    stretching?

Or is it your imagination, hmm?
    Rockin' Lady Adelade of Random
    also known as...
    Dominatrix of Randomness

• cmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcm

Quote Originally Posted by Adelade View Post
    And you'll get your costume with your trainer on the first day of training.
    Good to know!

Thanks to everyone for so much good information.

• some imagination huh?

Typically your "hire-in" date (which will be on the back of your ID) is the day of Traditions.

As mentioned, at the end of Traditions you ~should~ have your ID and nametag. The schedulers will give you a sheet with your scheduled training day[s]. (You should have "Guest Interaction" or something to that effect before you start your on-the-job training, but I believe both should be included in the papers they'll give you). Then all you have to do is follow the directions on where to park and meet your trainer and they'll take it from there Most of the time they tell you what attraction you'll be going to on the paperwork, but if not they should call you and let you know.

• Fastest Man Alive

Invest in good quality black shoes. You are going to be on your feet all day. Don't bother with heels or other such nonsense. They need to be close toed, this is for safety. Plus, just think about how you'll when (not if) a 400lbs guest in an ECV drives over your foot.

Costumes. 3 complete costumes. Hold onto your belts dearly, they cannot be special issued. In general it seems that the larger costume sizes (when they go large) seem to have a greater tendency to remain in stock. As always, check your schedule to see where you are working for the entire week and plan out your costume choices accordingly.

Food is much cheaper than for guests. And just like for the guests, it is of poor quality. Figure for something decent including a drink, about $6-7 for a meal. Vending machines are a complete and utter rip-off. If you want a snack, bring your own.

Where are the bathrooms? Cheat, snag some maps. Reference them when you need them, and then you also have some to hand out when a guest asks you- before not nearly enough of them seem to notice all the maps piled up at the entrance, nor in the shelves before you go through the tunnels. Then you need to track down the CM restrooms, some are quite hidden. Rely off of your fellow cast members for finding them.
    "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

• The Tomorrowland One

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Rely off of your fellow cast members
    There is what I think is one of the best bits of advice here so far. NEVER be afraid to ask for help, to find something, ect. from a fellow CM. You are all in it together, remember that. One big team that makes the magic that is Disneyland.

Have fun in traditions. I've had to sit through it twice now so far, so I don't particularly care for the class all that much any more. But it is a good class.

And good luck in your area. Hope that you get a week or two before peak hits hard this summer to get comfy in your area. I got that just barely in my current area. Train 2nd week of December, then like a week of mid peak, then Christmas and NYE. Talk about a fun way to start. Ah, I love my area...

• You Spin Me Right Round

Oooh, random question again: When I was at the Casting Center after taking my ID picture a recruiter was telling me and two others that our Traditions date is on our Traditions brochure thing, and under it is your next day of employment or something. Maybe I wasn't all paying attention, but the blank spot for that is crossed off on my paper, so it doesn't have a date, am I going to get that after traditions? And will I know where I will be after Traditions? It'd be cool if I could just go get my costume afterwards.
    The blank spot is for the "Day One" class, currently the only department with one is Foods, everyone else is 45 days out. Eventually they will all be the day after traditions.

--- Your friendly DU friend!

• The Tomorrowland One

Quote Originally Posted by DLDCALVR View Post
    The blank spot is for the "Day One" class, currently the only department with one is Foods, everyone else is 45 days out. Eventually they will all be the day after traditions.

--- Your friendly DU friend!
    I though that was more because all devisions except foods have their OJT scheduled by the on-boarding production scheduler and not another class the next day.

Could you be thinking of the LOB Safety class as the 45 days out thing? They used to do it the next day after traditions from what I hear. Eh, w/e... If you are a DU proctor, I guess you know...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast