• =)

POTC roof question

Hi all! I've got an inquiry for those enviable souls who've patrolled above the starless dark of the Blue Bayou. If we look at this aerial photo, you can see I've marked the fake sails on the roof as well as a long object behind them. I'm wondering what that second object is. Descriptions of its purpose, appearance, name, and so forth would all be greatly welcome. (I want to add this to my 3D model of the park, but I'm really not sure what I'm looking at, and I don't want to simply create a long rectangular object, as it seems to have some sort of detail beyond that.)

Thanks so much in advance! Here's another view, if it helps jog any memories.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Re: POTC roof question

Once upon a time (for the 25th or 35th) there were some Sky Tracker (Xenon Short-Arc) searchlights up there. I think all that's left in the photo is the mounting platforms for the lights. You can still see the power feed conduits heading north, where they enter the building through that "tower structure" - probably hiding the roof hatch ladder or another ventilator.

--<< Bruce >>--

The sails were to hide them from view for the people in Frontierland and on Big Thunder who could have seen them from the ground, and to provide some backdrop "depth" to the roof, like there was a harbor on the other side of the building.

Note that they also have visual screens around some of the other ventilators on that flat roof -
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• =)

Thanks so much for the reply, Bruce! Your technical posts are always so fascinating, especially when they're directed toward one of my questions. Now, there isn't any chance you've got a photo of a similar sort of platform, is there? Obviously, the chances of finding an up-close-and-personal photo of the actual platform on the POTC roof is effectively zero, but it'd be helpful if I could find some photo reference of similar mounts.

The other visual screens you mentioned are interesting--I was just adding them into my model today. There are two big ones at the north end.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

No photos, but they installed several sets of Sky Tracker lights around the park for one of the anniversary years - there was another set of those searchlights "hidden" in the planters at the top of the roof patio over Captain Eo (now HISTA) theatre, in hollowed out 'planters' to either side of the old Space Mountain Speedramps.

They used them for the one summer, then they sat out and rotted in place for many years without so much as a tarpaulin cover to keep the rain off. I'd see them with the cracked lenses and the torn cooling air hoses at the swivel joints...

There was talk at Rod's Piano that they were going to fix them for the next 5-year anniversary event, but it never happened.

Don't know if they sold them for spare parts, or scrap. (I'm betting scrap, they were in really bad shape.) They finally removed the lights at Space Mtn. when they removed the Speedramps out in front and placed the access ramp around on the Space Place/Redd Rocketts side of HISTA.

Remember, I've never worked there. But it's simply amazing the iiiiiiiinteresting things you learn just from sitting around a certain white upright piano, talking to someone who knew pretty much Everyone and Everything that had been going on in the joint since 1969...

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1