Cast Members: How do you communicate? Now with $5 Reward!

EDIT: I am now offering a $5 reward to the first five people who answer the questionnaire in its entirety (minus the attractions part, if it does not apply) BEFORE midnight of May 28. I will have to have your email in case I need clarification or a follow up. Payment will be your choice of paypal, check, or concealed cash. Zeus, you can still cash in on the reward if you answer the rest of the questions and/or answer some follow up questions. Thanks everyone, and hope some of you take advantage of this offer.

I am an Anthropology major taking a course on Linguistic Anthropology and have been assigned paper in which I observe and interview a speech community and write about my findings. I would greatly appreciate it if you answered a few questions about how you communicate in your role as a Disneyland cast member. Any cast member position welcome, from characters and attractions to janitorial staff and dining.

If there is any question you donít feel comfortable answering, please feel free leave the question blank. I would love if you gave as many specific examples as you can think of, or anything you find interesting. If youíre willing to answer a few follow up questions, please include your email.

I specifically have to interview and observe the group I chose, and am not required to do any formal research as if I were doing a traditional research paper, so please donít ask me to do my own homework because asking you guys to answer my questions is a big part of what is required of me. Iím only doing this over the internet since doing it while youíre working just isnít a good idea.

I would be happy to receive emailed responses to rogue.psyche@gmail.com, or you can reply to this thread or PM my account here. The content of my paper will be only be viewed by my professor, my boyfriend (my proofreader) and myself. I will not make any of the information public or will publish it.

Still aboard? Proceed to the questions:

NOT SO BASIC INFO:

Name:
    Email (if youíre willing to answer more questions):
    Ethnicity (if you feel comfortable):
    How long have you worked at the Disneyland Resort?
    Position (include past positions, if any):
    Describe your position.

What languages do you speak?

Describe your education status. (Degrees? Enrolled in classes? Whatís you major?)

COMMUNICATING AS A CAST MEMBER:

How does Disney suggest you greet a guest?

Is there a special way you are supposed to say goodbye?

In your typical interaction with a guest, what do you say to them or ask them?

What kind of nonverbal language are you expected to use with guests? (Pointing, gestures, things that are supposed to be international hand signals for things like ďDonít go?Ē)

How does the language you use in your role as a cast member differ from how you talk outside of work?

What vocabulary is different from the words you normally use? (Iíd like both examples of words you use with guests and other cast members)

What is the main goal of your communication . . .
    With guests?
    With other cast members?
    In other words, why do you communicate with them the way that you do?

What type of ďmoodĒ are you supposed to be reflecting? (Cheerful? Humorous? Somber?)

When you speak with guest who does not speak English, how do you communicate with them?

What jokes do you make with guests? Any with other cast members?

What is unique about the way cast members who share your position communicate?

Other than the obvious, what arenít you supposed to say?

If a guest has a complaint, how do you respond? I would love examples if you have any.

If a guest is violating the rules, how do you respond?

Any conversation or situation as a cast member has been especially unique or interesting?

EXTRA:

Anything about yourself that really reflects how you act as a cast member?

Why did you decide to be a Disneyland Cast Member?

What are your favorite rides?

Favorite Disney movies?

Anything else you want to tell me?

ATTRACTIONS:

Which area and rides (if not all in that area) do you work in?

Do you have to say any spiels? For instance, do you announce anything to guests before they board or disembark on a ride? Please include them if you can.

Are ways you capture the mood of your attraction in addition to what Disney asks of you?

Thank you everyone! Iím excited to hear your answers and greatly appreciate your time to answer these questions. If you stated that you would be willing to answer follow up questions you should hear from me within a day or so.
    Last edited by rogue_psyche; 05-27-2008 at 01:06 PM. Reason: adding cash reward!

• :)

Re: Cast Members: How do you communicate?

COMMUNICATING AS A CAST MEMBER:

How does Disney suggest you greet a guest? Innitiate Guest Contact
    (The I) in the servIce model. No specific way.

Is there a special way you are supposed to say goodbye?
    End with a Thank You
    (The E) in the servicE model. No specific way.
    In your typical interaction with a guest, what do you say to them or ask them? How is your day, how can i help you?, where are you from? what brings you to adventureland,frontierland, etc...THEMED PHRASING.

What kind of nonverbal language are you expected to use with guests? (Pointing, gestures, things that are supposed to be international hand signals for things like ďDonít go?Ē)
    Two finger point or open palm, for CM's talking to CM's a closed fist = "Hold" or "Don't Dispatch", an open palm = Dispatch, Clear.

How does the language you use in your role as a cast member differ from how you talk outside of work? It doesn't because CM's hangout with CM's outside of work and use these gestures as a joke. you think i'm kidding but all of you CM's know it's true.

What vocabulary is different from the words you normally use? (Iíd like both examples of words you use with guests and other cast members)
    With guests words are friendly and warm,
    with Cast their operational keywords and verbage which are in our Operational Guidelines, but really not much when in conversation.

What is the main goal of your communication . . .
    With guests? Keep guest safe and informed on guest facilities/shows/attractions/etc...
    With other cast members? SAFETY of cast and guest as well as create an efficient and flawless operation as well as to have everyone informed. we play "telephone a lot" Either with ride phones or Rotations (pass the word along)
    In other words, why do you communicate with them the way that you do?
    Because it is most efficient, A LOT of acronyms are used, 1 - because it's quick and easy, and 2- so the guest does not know what we're talking about when it comes to operation. (why? because it's either confidential or it is to keep the guests calm)

What type of ďmoodĒ are you supposed to be reflecting? (Cheerful? Humorous? Somber?) Depends on your area, you are supposed to SUPPORT THE SHOW (Mansion = Creepy/No mood), but generally Cheerful.

When you speak with guest who does not speak English, how do you communicate with them? With a pen and paper, hand gestures if you KNOW it will not offend the guest, key words (Bathroom? Exit? Entrance?) if not you find someone who can, Language pins on our Name Tags.

What jokes do you make with guests? Any with other cast members?
    What jokes? You use the same jokes with guests all day it's sad.
    with Cast members? um. The guests are usually the topic of most jokes.

Other than the obvious, what arenít you supposed to say?
    FIRE, DEATH, UNSAFE, or anything about another guest or attraction (you're not supposed to bad mouth ANYTHING in the park) All of the food is great, all of the attractions are great, however u can ask the guests what they are looking for and give them the best answer to avoid doing this.

If a guest has a complaint, how do you respond? I would love examples if you have any. "how can I make this better for you?"
    However, it's usually "Let me get my lead" or "Go to City Hall if you want to complain"

If a guest is violating the rules, how do you respond?
    With appropriate Action (Security, Leads, Managers) Generally you approach the guest and ask them why, than go up the chain of management. unless you're uncomfortable to do so.

And for situations / conversations = Every 10 minutes theres a wierd, odd or interesting conversation or situation which occurs with anything