Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

Thread: Ask A Cast Member

<

• Disneyland Historian

Re: Ask A Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett240 View Post
    Was he came up to the balcony scene, we all ran forward, wanting to lean over the balcony railing. All 8 of us ran up and tried to lean over the railing.

Right down the line of us.

All 8 of us hit our head on the glass wall that's right where the railing is.
    That's interesting that the glass is so close to the ballroom railing. I always thought the glass was located a couple of feet away from the railing between the pillars in the ballroom. I had no idea it was right against the railing.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by Gregmh48 View Post
    That's interesting that the glass is so close to the ballroom railing. I always thought the glass was located a couple of feet away from the railing between the pillars in the ballroom. I had no idea it was right against the railing.
    The second sheet of glass was added later, after the big glass got shot several years ago.

And the lawyers were probably worried about safety, since that railing has to be very low so as to not ruin the sightlines from the Doom Buggies - far lower than building codes normally allow. In 1969 they might have gotten an exemption because the Guests were in secured vehicles, but sometimes rules change and you can't get an exemption any more.

Falling off unprotected balconies would be very bad, so they have to put something there that doesn't affect the Show.

It would be way too easy for a Guest getting out of a Doom Buggy in an evacuation to wander over too far and fall over the edge. Same thing with overly curious New Hires in 3rd Shift Custodial...

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Proud US Navy Wife

What types of positions are there? What kind of shifts? In your opinion, which position would be the best (not including pay/hours, just what you think would be the most fun and make the most people happy)?

• Mickey Mouse Slave

I got to this once. It was our first week of training. (3rd shift custodial). I was part of a training class of about 8 or so. Our trainer took us to walk through Mansion.

We rode the elevator down and started walking the track. Was he came up to the balcony scene, we all ran forward, wanting to lean over the balcony railing. All 8 of us ran up and tried to lean over the railing.

*BAMB!*
    *BAMB!*
    *BAMB!*
    *BAMB!*
    *BAMB!*
    *BAMB!*
    *BAMB!*
    *BAMB!*

damn, didnt know Industrial glass cleaner can clean windows THAT well. or do the cleaning crew use windex.
    ~ A Cute, Little, Fuzzy, Silly, and Chubby Cast Member ~

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    damn, didnt know Industrial glass cleaner can clean windows THAT well. or do the cleaning crew use windex.
    If they use an aerosol product for in-between cleanings, probably Sprayway Glass Cleaner - it's excellent stuff and it's inexpensive, the two things you need to make everyone happy.

For doing them all at once, probably the standard window system of a lambswool scrubber followed by a squegee, top to bottom in a Bosun's Chair or man-lift - I'd expect a track built into the ceiling on both sides of the glass for easy access. The only question being what type surfactants they use in the wash water.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

I worked at Kilimanjaro Safaris. Sadly, no walk throughs for us. Just a drive through each morning.
    I worked at Walt Disney World as a member of the Disney College Program in Spring 2008 and Summer 2010. Now, I build software, design live events, and frequently make the short trek from Costa Mesa to Disneyland with my Annual Passport in hand.

• Dont make me unfriend you

Quote Originally Posted by Kittiekyo View Post
    What types of positions are there? What kind of shifts? In your opinion, which position would be the best (not including pay/hours, just what you think would be the most fun and make the most people happy)?
    Oh my goodness...What a big question.. The easy stuff first.

There are people working at DL 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

There are the onstage positions that everybody sees when they visit the park. But there are so many backstage positions that people rarely see. Now that TDA is added to the back, there are even more positions there. Many of these are "normal" office-type jobs that all big companies need.

But Disney also has landscapers, custodians, security guards, window washers, painters, woodworkers, welders, divers (fix stuff under water in the sub lagoon, Rivers of America Jungle Cruise), plumbers, electricians, all kinds of mechanics, computer techs, whew... Money tellers, warehouse workers, drivers to deliver retail products to the different stores, people who clean/fix the floats, costuming, hairdressers to fix the characters' wigs... who did I miss?

Quote Originally Posted by DVkid07 View Post
    I worked at Kilimanjaro Safaris. Sadly, no walk throughs for us. Just a drive through each morning.
    But the walk throughs would have been so much cooler the DL. Really get the heart pumping.

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    Funny thing. As a Custodian, I was not not allowed to clean glass windows. We cleaned the mirrors and the plexi-glass windows. But we were not allowed to clean glass windows. There was a separate "window washer crew" that cleaned all of the glass. They were a different union then us.

The window washers were amazing to watch. They would put the soapy water stuff (I have no idea what they used) on with a scrubber and then they would dry the whole window without picking up the squeegee once. They would do this curvy back and forth thing with the squeegee and get it all without lifting it.

(Hey...we are easy to entertain at 5:30 in the morning)

• Former Sub Helmsman

Quote Originally Posted by IceDevil9 View Post
    Hah what a bummer, no dive suits so you can go under eh? When you guys do a cycle in the morning for powering up, do you have to have a pilot in the sub like you usually do, or can it fly solo? Youve peaked my curiosity a little bit.

-Frank
    Frank,

There are divers for underwater maintenance, but not of the CM's are trained to do that.

And each sub does require a helmsman. They are not computer controlled, they are 100% CM controlled. When pulling the subs onto main line and cycling through, if you're at the back of the spur dock, you can be waiting in your sail for a while.

T

But the walk throughs would have been so much cooler the DL. Really get the heart pumping.
    Haha this is true. There are sections of the ride path in which you could get out in the event of an emergency. But not many of them...
    I worked at Walt Disney World as a member of the Disney College Program in Spring 2008 and Summer 2010. Now, I build software, design live events, and frequently make the short trek from Costa Mesa to Disneyland with my Annual Passport in hand.

• Minion

I got to this once. It was our first week of training. (3rd shift custodial). I was part of a training class of about 8 or so. Our trainer took us to walk through Mansion.

We rode the elevator down and started walking the track. Was he came up to the balcony scene, we all ran forward, wanting to lean over the balcony railing. All 8 of us ran up and tried to lean over the railing.

*BAMB!*
    *BAMB!*
    *BAMB!*
    *BAMB!*
    *BAMB!*
    *BAMB!*
    *BAMB!*
    *BAMB!*

Our trainer just laughed at us....

I got to do walkthroughs twice on Pirates. The first time, we had to run and jump the canal to get to the door on the other side (near the jail scene)

Towards the end of summer, all of the night cast member who worked Small World went up on the sets and took pictures after the park closed. (But that was 18 years ago). I don't know if that is still a common practice. I know that cuz I was cleaning the boats while they did that.
    We did do that actually. Like you though, I don't know if they still do. I left the park 15 years ago. Some great memories in those pics though!

• Missing an Angel

... who did I miss?
    Tram drivers and parking tendants.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789