Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1

    • Squaw NO gettum firewood!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    1,069

    Exclamation I need help from Adv/Frontier CMs! Time sensitive

    Hey - it's driving me nuts that I can't remember this, and I need it for a script I'm presenting to WDI tomorrow.

    What's the name of the PEP/Wheelchair side of BTM? There's Spur Side on the right and ___ side on the left. It's driving me crazy!!!

    Thanks in advance!
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney


  2. #2

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    610

    Re: I need help from Adv/Frontier CMs! Time sensitive

    well if one side is spur isnt the other main?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz-c7Ees4QQ

    Come Celebrate with us, we can't wait to meet ya!

  3. #3

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits
    Posts
    3,663

    Re: I need help from Adv/Frontier CMs! Time sensitive

    I've heard them discuss it as they bring the ride back up from an E-stop, and I believe it's Main Side also.

    They have to send the trains into the station on Spur Side so they can send them back to the maintenance barn on the spur track.

    --<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

  4. #4

    • DLR -> WDW Cast Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,238

    Re: I need help from Adv/Frontier CMs! Time sensitive

    Quote Originally Posted by RumRunner31 View Post
    Hey - it's driving me nuts that I can't remember this, and I need it for a script I'm presenting to WDI tomorrow.

    What's the name of the PEP/Wheelchair side of BTM? There's Spur Side on the right and ___ side on the left. It's driving me crazy!!!

    Thanks in advance!
    Main
    Burnt Toast
    The Magic Begins With Me...! 8:P

  5. #5

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Disneyland
    Posts
    433

    Re: I need help from Adv/Frontier CMs! Time sensitive

    Main side and Spur Side and both can load Chairs.....

  6. #6

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits
    Posts
    3,663

    Re: I need help from Adv/Frontier CMs! Time sensitive

    Quote Originally Posted by Karnever View Post
    Main side and Spur Side and both can load Chairs.....
    Right - but if you are running both sides and an odd number of trains, the CM's have to shift all the ECVs and chairs over to the other side.

    I'm suprised they don't have something rigged up that works like the "Magic Pole" (on the bow of the boat) from Small World to always send the train back to the same side of the station.

    But they can't do that - it would make too much sense...

    --<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

  7. #7

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Disneyland
    Posts
    433

    Re: I need help from Adv/Frontier CMs! Time sensitive

    You mean Vehicle Return Indy has it.... Thunder cant unless they a only run a n even amount of trains or b back up to the point where they still dispatch on the other side of the station(which they wont risk a 101 to do).

  8. #8

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits
    Posts
    3,663

    Re: I need help from Adv/Frontier CMs! Time sensitive

    Quote Originally Posted by Karnever View Post
    You mean Vehicle Return Indy has it.... Thunder cant unless they a} only run an even amount of trains or b} back up to the point where they still dispatch on the other side of the station (which they wont risk a 101 to do).
    Yeah, I know - Indy can back up transports forever and the electronics will allow it.

    But Thunder runs on gravity like a classic coaster ( yes, there are LIM boosters...) and only has two or three brake zones for station backup parking before it cascades. If you stop a train back in Rainbow Ridge for more than a few seconds, you are in big trouble.

    Though I wonder if the PLC's running Thunder are sophisticated enough to keep track of which train is where, and do 'vehicle return' to the correct side of the station electronically. (If you have a moving-map display screen with train numbers, you probably do.)

    The poles (with retro-reflector film) were a work-around for Small World because their system doesn't care about keeping track of the boat speed and spacing inside the show building. All they needed was a photoeletric sensor trigger to send the HCA boats to the right at the switch as they returned to Load.

    --<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

  9. #9

    • DLR -> WDW Cast Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,238

    Re: I need help from Adv/Frontier CMs! Time sensitive

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    Right - but if you are running both sides and an odd number of trains, the CM's have to shift all the ECVs and chairs over to the other side.

    I'm suprised they don't have something rigged up that works like the "Magic Pole" (on the bow of the boat) from Small World to always send the train back to the same side of the station.

    But they can't do that - it would make too much sense...
    You could... if you were running five trains and wanted to constantly back up the ride. Backups on Thunder = bad. Having a train stopped in front of the town = bad, stops on the lifts = VERY bad. Backups = bad.

    Rides like Indy where it doesn't matter if you back up the ride (ie it won't shut itself down), you can flag the vehicle to come back to the same side of the station with a push of a button on the load console.

    ... but for more backup unfriendly attractions like Thunder, you can't hold dispatches (so you can have two trains in a row to come into the station on the same side) because the leeway that we have to dispatch trains is so small on a five train operation. Otherwise you'll back up the attraction and constantly will have to pull a train back into the holding area to clear up the backup. The trains just go in order, it just loads the stations in order.

    Also, folks fail to realize that we don't just get one wheelchair Guest, usually have a line and that means filling in one group per train that comes into that side... only way we can do that is if we just run four trains at a time, lowering capacity by a couple hundred per hour... then people will complain about that. Sending only one wheelchair Guest per side per cycle is not an option either, we load every train with a wheelchair party if there is a line.

    Believe me, running ECVs and wheelchairs back and forth is fun. Gives you a break... and heck, in the Stager position that's your only duty. Talk to the wheelchair/GAC Guests and move chairs to the other side. Only time I ever got to ride an ECV.

    I will refrain from ending this post with an equally sarcastic and rude comment as I quoted above. :P

    ... I will say this though, comparing Small World's operation to Thunder's. That's funny!
    Last edited by Burnt Toast; 07-09-2008 at 10:34 AM.
    Burnt Toast
    The Magic Begins With Me...! 8:P

  10. #10

    • DLR -> WDW Cast Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,238

    Re: I need help from Adv/Frontier CMs! Time sensitive

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    Though I wonder if the PLC's running Thunder are sophisticated enough to keep track of which train is where, and do 'vehicle return' to the correct side of the station electronically. (If you have a moving-map display screen with train numbers, you probably do.)
    Negative. There's a moving map, but it does not list train numbers. The ride operations computer (I can't remember it's name or it's nickname right now), also does not from what I've seen.

    Heck, I don't think Indy does either. They have a moving map, but I don't think the ride computer over there does either (based on the fact that there is an overshoot, we have to call down for the vehicle number because the ride computer doesn't state it).
    Burnt Toast
    The Magic Begins With Me...! 8:P

  11. #11

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits
    Posts
    3,663

    Re: I need help from Adv/Frontier CMs! Time sensitive

    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Toast View Post
    Believe me, running ECVs and wheelchairs back and forth is fun. Gives you a break... and heck, in the Stager position that's your only duty. Talk to the wheelchair/GAC Guests and move chairs to the other side. Only time I ever got to ride an ECV.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    But they can't do that - it would make too much sense...
    I will refrain from ending this post with an equally sarcastic and rude comment as I quoted above. :P

    ... I will say this though, comparing Small World's operation to Thunder's. That's funny!
    That wasn't meant to be sarcastic or rude at you or the CM's in general, but at Management. They are the ones who won't do a simple fix just because it was 'Not Invented Here' - Office Politics, if they can't claim credit for it, it won't happen.

    (Be sure to say hello if the name on a scooter you shuffle looks at all familiar... We just got a hand-me-down Tzora 'Easy Traveler'. Looks like a funky gray and blue folding chair with wheels grafted on, but it fits in the Saturn trunk.)

    And it is fun to compare the positives and negatives of totally different ride operating systems. Because if you know them, and someone proposes a modification that can't possibly work, you can persuade them to drop the idea fast before spending a lot of effort.

    Most people don't realize there are coaster wheels on the bottoms of the Splash logs and Pirates bateaus, but not Small World or GRR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Toast View Post
    Negative. There's a moving map, but it does not list train numbers. The ride operations computer (I can't remember it's name or it's nickname right now), also does not from what I've seen.

    Heck, I don't think Indy does either. They have a moving map, but I don't think the ride computer over there does either (based on the fact that there is an overshoot, we have to call down for the vehicle number because the ride computer doesn't state it).
    Judging solely from the screen shots I saw, the ride computer at Toy Story Mania does keep track of which car is where. And IIRC they have a spur track for HCA loading.

    --<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

  12. #12

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Disneyland
    Posts
    433

    Re: I need help from Adv/Frontier CMs! Time sensitive

    I miss the days when there wasn't a stager or OOM on the attraction and the Unloader took chairs to the other side.... then again there was a Loader back then (now stager). My Favorite moment was when I was on Main side during a 5 train op and a guest gave me his leg. I then handed the leg to the loader who passed to the main group to the spur load to the spur unload. The guests in the station had awesome looks on their faces

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] King of the Wild Frontier?
    By nathan detroit in forum Disneyland Paris
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-06-2009, 10:10 AM
  2. Frontier Village, San Jose
    By OogieBoogie in forum Other Destinations
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-11-2008, 10:03 PM
  3. Transportation from UCLA? (time-sensitive)
    By Datameister in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 09-20-2007, 12:12 PM
  4. The Next Armchair Imagineering Frontier...
    By goofypirate in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 103
    Last Post: 05-24-2007, 06:01 PM
  5. The Final Frontier?
    By aaronpaulcustoms in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-12-2006, 12:27 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •