• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Am I getting too old for the new Disney?

New post on my blog:

http://intobserver.blogspot.com/
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• Senior Minion

Re: Am I getting too old for the new Disney?

Well of course there are no age limits on enjoying Disney. However the 'new' Disney is a different animal to it's 'old' self. We may not like every decision that is made by the House of Mouse now but thank Walt that they are moving with the times instead of withering on the vine. Think of the studio output (I'm using the movies as a parallel here) following Walt's death. It was either more of the same or some really disasterous choices. Now that the studio, and company in general, is on a fairly even keel it would be folly to complain about how things have changed from the 'good old days'. Serve up a lot of what we loved as kids to today's youth and they will look at you in disgust. Disney are moving with the times - sadly its the times that are a bit rubbish.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Hitchhiker

Quote Originally Posted by davewasbaloo View Post
    Great article! Happy to hear I'm not the only one thinking Character Express music being awful. And true; there's no way to prevent becoming an old fart who's longing for the Good old days.

But still, I think Disney co. has totaly forgotten why Disney parks are/were so special. Where's nostalgy and education nowadays (oh yeah, we got Cinemagique)? I love Disneyland bacause it has stories like Frontierlands Thunder Mesa. Hidden nooks la Adventureland. And family attractions like Phantom, Pirates and Splash.

I really hope John Lasseter has more in his mind but Pixarland. At least he used to be a fan of Disney parks. Also, Disney co. should consider the great number of senior citizens we're going to have in western countries next years.

But there's always an option to pilgrim Tokyo Resort.
    ----
    Cheers,
    Zarniwoop

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Thanks guys, i am glad to know I am not alone. I am saving up for my pilgrimage to TDS. Once my babies are old enough to appreciate it, we will be there.

ND - interesting comparison with the movies, but I feel the parks have always been quite different. That said, I still like Condorman!
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by davewasbaloo View Post

ND - interesting comparison with the movies, but I feel the parks have always been quite different. That said, I still like Condorman!
    One of my favourite films as a kid (along with Bedknobs and Broomsticks and Pete's Dragon)! However as I said, the kids these days* have more 'sophisticated' tastes. That is to say they prefer something like HSM to anything remotely resembling quality. Same for the parks. Today's kids want fast thrills and instant gratification. Hence they will run past the beauty of Main Street to get to the Buzz Lightyear ride. Just be grateful that Main Street is still there - that could be the next move...

*maybe you should retitle this thread 'Old Farts Reunited'!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• is satisfactual.

Once again a very good post, Dave. But you know, besides death and taxes, the other thing in life you can be sure of is that you can't go home again*.

In the 1950s, there was a Tiki fad. Enough people now miss that culture to make people like Shag among the most popular artists of today. But that, unfortunately, is where the revival ends, because the general population of 2008 can't get excited over a punch served in a fiberglass Tiki god or a roast decorated with pineapple wedges and maraschino cherries. Similarly, as much as we all love the idea of a peaceful small town with a bustling Main Street, our even greater love for the low prices at Big Box Store and drive-thru chain restaurants makes this impossible. And even if we could go back, we wouldn't be the same.

While I see myself in your every word and spend most of my Disney vacations trying to mentally turn back the clock to 1994, I do feel that it is largely pointless. As Las Vegas slowly de-Disneyfies, so will Disney. Perhaps society has finally become post-postmodern. All we can do is enjoy things while they last and try to see the merit in, well, the Planet Hollywood Resort. Either that or become grumpy old men who sign petitions to bring the old "it's a small world" back.

*Well, also, you can't beat the phone company, and you can't make a waiter see you until he's ready to see you. But that's neither here nor there.