Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Haunted Mansion Fan

Stockton, CA; AKA too far from Disneyland (5 hrs, 48 mins/375.1 mi)

Worldwide Disney Parks updates from Imagineering

DISCLAIMER: PLEASE REMEMBER THAT LIKE WITH ALL PLANS IMAGINEERING MAKES, NOT EVERYTHING PLANNED WILL NECESSARILY HAPPEN.

Source: Worldwide Disney Parks updates from Imagineering

Worldwide Disney Parks updates from Imagineering*

By Roger Dodger
    Published: June 16, 2009 at 3:21 AM
    [Editor's note: It's a new name on the byline, but an old friend of TPI whom I trust, who is posting anonymously with permission for what should be obvious reasons. Anyway, have fun with this inside scoop, and remember, planning does not mean construction, so not everything these guys talk about gets built.]

Update: See the comments for confirmation and details from Disney on the renovation of the Disneyland Hotel.
    The Imgagineers gave an update today about Disney's worldwide park/resorts/etc plans. I'll try not to be too wordy, but just give an overview. It's all from memory since taking notes wasn't really encouraged.
    1. STAR TOURS: As rumored, the rehab is about to start. And you know why? Because Tokyo Disney (Oriental Land Company) wanted their own version so they poured in some money. And George Lucas has been VERY involved. The new version sounds REALLY cool. Apparently, the original Star Tours was supposed to be updated every three years or so with a new film (ha!). So now, they're creating a new 3-D film (yes, everyone will have to wear 3-D glasses). The new film will be set in the time between Star Wars Films 3 and 4 (so, after Queen Amidala's death but before Luke finds Obi Wan and blows up the Death Star). But here's the cool part -- they're saying that the ride will now have hundreds of versions, so guests will never know what they're getting into....they're going to film about 25 openings, about 25 middles, and then 25 endings, so your ride will never be the same...this is one way to make sure it stays fresh for MUCH longer. I can't wait to see this.
    2. WDW's Fantasy Land (in the Magic Kingdom) is getting a MAJOR expansion (yes, expansion). And where will that expansion go, you ask? In Mickey's Toon Town Fair, a place that was originally designed to be only a 3-year entry. Apparently, Imagineers are adding "The Enchanted Forest," a place, according to the head story exec, where Princesses seem to always run into (to much laughter). So, yes, it sounds like it will definitely be a heavy does of princesses, but with lots and lots of room for kids and whole families to have tons of fun. Looks like it will include musical shows, story times, birthday parties, lots of character meet-and-greats (of course). We'll see if it turns out to be as cool as their promising. And the area between the castle and the Carousel is being transformed into a castle courtyard, complete with brand new themeing and shrubbery. This is definitely going to be a big change.
    3. As speculated, the LITTLE MERMAID dark ride is going into both Disneyland AND WDW. Yep, it's taking over the space once occupied by the Subs.
    4. The next major Disney theme park will be on 2,000 acres in Shangai. Which surprises me, considering the poor attendance thus far at Hong Kong. But, of course, Hong Kong's park is pretty small. The Shanghai project looks to be pretty expansive, with lots of lakes, hotels, etc.
    5. The Disneyland Hotel is getting a top-to-bottom rebuild. And the entire courtyard/recreation area is being torn down and rebuilt. Basically, Disney's almost rebuilding this hotel from scratch.
    6. Disneyland Paris is getting a whole new TOYSTORY Play Place land, which looks like it's kind of like the "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" play area, but WAAAAAY more expansive and with actual attractions. We can probably expect to see some form of this in Florida soon, to replace the "Honey" play area.
    7. Disney has purchased land in Washington D.C. to build a major resort/water park/themed area....basically, the head designer said that since Disney failed twice to build an American History-themed park, this was their attempt to "do it" right. The designs showed a very, very large historical-type resort hotel with an adjacent water part. They said, however, this plan was in the very early stages.
    8. The POP CENTURY resort is back on track to be finished now, but the remaining hotels will be Animation Suites hotels, which are described as vacation suites for families on a budget -- and completely new concept for Disney. Waaay cool.
    9. The Tree House Villas have all been replaced and are ready to be occupied by Disney Vacation Club members.
    10. On the Cruise Ships, the areas for age-specific programming are being expanded, but the cool part is the new ANIMATOR'S PALETTE restaurants -- guests will actually draw cartoons when they sit down. These cartoons will be given to the "magic people." Then later, during the meal, those actual drawings will come to life and be animated on the walls next to each table. Very cool.
    Also, the Turtle Talk with Crush is coming aboard the new Cruise Ships, and Crush will be swimming all around the Animator's Palette to interact with guests. Sounds cool.
    11. Hong Kong Disney is getting site-specific attractions based on existing ones here in the states -- for example, instead of Haunted Mansion, they'll be getting the Mystical Manor, where a curse is released inside the house and all manner of supernatural things occur. That's all I can remember at this moment -- I'll post more as I remember.
    Last edited by HatboxGhost209; 07-06-2009 at 05:17 PM. Reason: added disclaimer

• Banned User

Re: Worldwide Disney Parks updates from Imagineering

Very cool! Exiting news.

• The one and only

Thanks for all of the info, sounds great.
    Last edited by Jordiekins; 07-03-2009 at 09:10 AM. Reason: spelling error

1. STAR TOURS: As rumored, the rehab is about to start. And you know why? Because Tokyo Disney (Oriental Land Company) wanted their own version so they poured in some money. And George Lucas has been VERY involved. The new version sounds REALLY cool. Apparently, the original Star Tours was supposed to be updated every three years or so with a new film (ha!). So now, they're creating a new 3-D film (yes, everyone will have to wear 3-D glasses). The new film will be set in the time between Star Wars Films 3 and 4 (so, after Queen Amidala's death but before Luke finds Obi Wan and blows up the Death Star). But here's the cool part -- they're saying that the ride will now have hundreds of versions, so guests will never know what they're getting into....they're going to film about 25 openings, about 25 middles, and then 25 endings, so your ride will never be the same...this is one way to make sure it stays fresh for MUCH longer. I can't wait to see this.
    I don't really want to wear 3D glasses on a Simulator, what if they keep falling off?

• Hello

Cool Re: Worldwide Disney Parks updates from Imagineering

Idk. Cool i guess.

• I read the news today...

Quote Originally Posted by Grimezy View Post
    I don't really want to wear 3D glasses on a Simulator, what if they keep falling off?
    I'm sure they'll come up with a design so they "stick" to your head, preventing anything like that from happening.
    "I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together"

• Californian Fox-Wolf

Solution: add straps to the back of the glasses.
    Please...don't call me simmer, call me Mike Folf.
    I am a Canis Lupus Vulpes Americanis Califius, otherwise known as a Californian Folf.

"Cool shades, Mike!"

Art Tweet Comic Tube

• Mickey is not my Brother

a Washington D.C. park??? They will need a lot of security there. I wonder how this will be tackled.

• Stop That!

Imagineers are adding "The Enchanted Forest," a place, according to the head story exec, where Princesses seem to always run into (to much laughter).
    Is it just me, or is there a crucial word missing from that sentence?

People don't seem to have a problem with regular glasses on Star Tours. Maybe they'll switch to a tighter-fitting model of eyewear...

I think making the movie 3D will add to the ride considerably. I wonder how much wider they could make the screen. Tokyo DisneySea's Stormrider attraction has LCD screens on the doors which function as portholes during the ride. Having "windows" on the sides of the simulator would also do wonders to make you feel you're really in space.

• The Dudester

I'm very excited for a new Star Tours, and 3D or not I think I will enjoy it immensely if its done right. That being said, I don't know that 3D is necessary on this ride. I want it to feel realistic, like I'm riding a ship, not like things are coming toward me from the screen. Unless there is a good reason for something to protruding toward me inside of the spacecraft, I'd rather they leave it out.

But as I said, either way this sounds very cool. I hope the idea of multiple different trips comes to fruition.

• Keep Moving Forward

I too am not a fan of the 3D. I don't think it's going to be necessary, and I think the glasses are just going to be a gimmick that detract from the actual ride. Seems like having 3D glasses on would just destroy from the illusion of actually being on a ship in space.

• Knows Where His Towel Is

On one hand, I'm kinda disappointed that the Little Mermaid won't be unique to DCA.

On the other hand, I'm positively drooling over the possibility of 25x25x25=625 versions of Star Tours.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

• Not here to help

OLC gave us the best themepark in the world, DisneySEA. Not strange that they want Star Wars to be the best ride of it´s kind. They know how to turn a great ride to something just amazing, like Splash Mountain and the Pooh ride in Tokyo Disneyland.

All in all great news.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Disney Secrets Master

This is very exciting news!
    Putting the um in forum. Um...

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by The Disneylander View Post
    On one hand, I'm kinda disappointed that the Little Mermaid won't be unique to DCA.

On the other hand, I'm positively drooling over the possibility of 25x25x25=625 versions of Star Tours.
    I agree, Star Tours was one of my favorite rides back in the 80's, now I never ride it. I can't wait for the upgrade.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast