Alleged Re-thinking of Fantasy Forest-Could DCA Expansion be Next?

Here is the link to a great article by Jim Hill. If Fantasy Forest is getting changes - could the DCA Expansion be next?

So if you had the opportunity to help the Imagineers retool their original plans for the Fantasyland Forest, what would you do? Especially taking into consideration that - given the enormous amount of money that the Company is looking to spend on this Magic Kingdom addition - that Disney would like to get a Potter-sized return on its investment.
    Your thoughts?
    Last edited by Villains Fan; 07-21-2010 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Copyrighted article removed.

• Banned User

Re: Alleged Re-thinking of Fantasy Forest-Could DCA Expansion be Next?

Aren't DCA's budgets already green-lit? Magic Kingdom doesn't need expansion/remodel as bad as DCA so I think there is little chance that anything major will change right now, if that's what you're asking.

The article states that they are thinking of adding new attractions to the new Fantasyland and not just the mermaid ride.

Good re-thinking from my point of view

Carsland is good to go. Nothing will be changed, but just added upon. See the difference in the Symphony Swings artwork and what we got today.

There has already been changes to the DCA expansion. No queue cover for Mickeys Fun Wheel and a nicer queue area for the swings. There is also the question of what will happen to the maliboomer. It is true there are funds to do things, but things do change especially if construction hasn't started. It is possible that the entrance isn't redone and another new ride is built instead.

I would say the DCA expansion seems a lot more balanced than the one for WDW. I mean one new ride and four expensive meet and greet areas. That is not very balanced. So I am not surprised rumors of changes are now being heard.

• Minion

Whoops, I assumed that you'd posted alink and done you're own analysis of his post, I didn't realise it was a straight up copy and paste. Ah well. An interesting read anyway, if they do add more E-Tickets i''ll not complain.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Cars will make for a nice analogy......

Imagine two cars racing on a lonely road.....one car is way out front, can't even see the other car in his rear-view mirror.

So this car decides to slow down a little bit, then a little bit more and finally, looking back in his mirror one more time just to make sure, he decides to come to a full stop.

By the time the first car sees the second car coming with a full head of steam in his rear-view mirror it might just be a little too late
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Cars will make for a nice analogy......

Imagine two cars racing on a lonely road.....one car is way out front, can't even see the other car in his rear-view mirror.

So this car decides to slow down a little bit, then a little bit more and finally, looking back in his mirror one more time just to make sure, he decides to come to a full stop.

By the time the first car sees the second car coming with a full head of steam in his rear-view mirror it might just be a little too late
    car 1=Disney
    car 2=universal
    right?

• Nutty about Disney parks

Well I think they're already too far into the Carsland expansion to make any real changes now. Plus the budget at DCA is tight.

Plus Carsland is providing more in its small area than the massive Fantasyland Expansion at MK anyway.

• Minion

As I mused in another thread RE the Fantasyland cutback:

Sadly, it looks to me like they are only continuing the recent trend of no longer re-investing in the Walt-era characters but only in the 80's-forward properties (World of Color) - - further pushing the Walt era into archival "history".

The Fantasyland Forest cuts seem to include Snow White, Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty -- while the Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast elements go forward as planned.

• Not a Crook

Yeah, I'm not quite sure where that article even really refers to changes in the DCA plans. And the idea that Disney is going to push Cars Land as their "answer" to Harry Potter is ludicrous, since there's not a whole lot of competition between amusement parks opposite sides of the country.

Edit:
    The Fantasyland Forest cuts seem to include Snow White, Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty -- while the Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast elements go forward as planned.
    I think in this case the cuts are not because those characters are "older," but because the additions based around them were pretty slight. Mermaid and Beast are the only two elements that aren't just dressed up meet'n'greets.
    "A paradise for children--and for grownups, too. I don't know when I've had so much fun."-Richard Nixon on Disneyland

Newest Post- Epcot 30x30: Club Cool

• Member; Mousketeer

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Romantic View Post
    And the idea that Disney is going to push Carsland as their "answer" to Harry Potter is ludicrous, since there's not a whole lot of competition between amusement parks opposite sides of the country.
    Exactly.

Even the sheer thought of the company claiming that
    Cars Land is the answer to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter
    is meager.

If Disney should admit such a notion, it is
    evident that the Fantasyland Expansion, that was revealed,
    is utterly prosaic as many have expressed it would be to commence with.

And that is describing it lightly.

• Artistic integrity

Because of the wild success of Tim Burton's Alice film ( worldwide - $1,024,291,110- according to boxofficemojo.com) ......... WDW's magic kingdom has never had a single "Alice" themed attraction at all ... this would be where one franchise does have appeal for both girls and boys.

And instead of the girl-centric Pixie Hollow ... why not the entire Peter Pan franchise that would include the popular pixie, with an area for her ... with a larger scale version of the Peter Pan ride .. complete with a recreation of Skull Rock and Hooks Galley. Right there .. another franchise aimed at girls and boys.

Peter Pan has generations and generations of appeal that does not end. It's a means to go through with Pixie Hollow ..... but a modified version that includes Tinks entire "universe".

This would free up the old Peter Pan sight ... and if Disney wants to use that space for a character that is more modern than the classics .. then there you go.
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 07-21-2010 at 05:40 PM.

• TTA Metroliner Passenger

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post

Sadly, it looks to me like they are only continuing the recent trend of no longer re-investing in the Walt-era characters but only in the 80's-forward properties (World of Color) - - further pushing the Walt era into archival "history".

The Walt-era characters are not being pushed out because they aren't contemporary, they are being pushed out because the majority of people aren't too happy with coloring with Aurora or watching Cinderella's fashion show. If those characters were re-worked into something that everyone can enjoy (and they very well may be), then this argument would no longer be valid.

The non-contemporary characters already have homes in Fantasyland (Snow White's Scary Adventures, Peter Pan's Flight, The Many Adventures of Winine the Pooh) and at this point it's the contemporary ones that are not being represented. Heck, we've been waiting for a Mermaid attraction for the past two decades. The issue here is not a pushing out of classic characters, but rather attractions that were supposed to be in the expansion that don't

(1) appeal to anyone who's not a pre-teen girl
    (2) cost a significant amount but don't contribute to Fantasyland's (or Magic Kingdom's capacity) in a positive way. (The meet and greets proposed would have been capacity nightmares...it's similar to having a singular 20-person theater attraction).

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post

I kinda feel the same way. I when I first heard about the project I was excited. I think the forest as the sketches showed it and fully realized would be amazing. Oh well.