Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Disney Memory Maker

Post JHM/SSE/LS/WoL Article

Read this JHM article that touches upon Spaceship Earth, The Living Seas & Wonders of Life.

My thoughts...
    - No Time Racers!!!!!!!!!!! I'm glad that they want to just refurb the ride instead of gutting it.
    -I disagree with LS though. I think it'll be officially or at least soft opened by early summer
    -WoL I still consider a rumor at best. I doubt anything is going to happen to it for a while (although I'd love to see it demolished).

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Vehicle rotating backward

Re: JHM/SSE/LS/WoL Article

What's the deal with the Living Seas? It seems like it's constantly under some kind of refurb, and it's something I want to see on my trip.

Regulars, without spoiling it for me, can you give me an idea of how much of the pavillion I'm missing out on as things currently stand?

• Don't Panic

I think SE should have a major refurb, but keep the same theme and "story," if you will.
    as for LS, im sure they could find a way to make the area more fun and exciting without "cartooning" it up. if the nemo characters are going to talk to us about sea life and such in a fun way, thats one thing. but if its going to become a "we're looking for nemo. where, oh where could he be?" dark ride......ugh.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Looking for bad news...not finding it. A GOOD rehab for SE...good.
    WoL being changed...Good.
    Body Wars Sims going to Hong Kong...Awesome!!
    Living Seas continuing rehab...good because the current version seems kinda lame.

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    What's the deal with the Living Seas? It seems like it's constantly under some kind of refurb, and it's something I want to see on my trip.

Regulars, without spoiling it for me, can you give me an idea of how much of the pavillion I'm missing out on as things currently stand?
    They are basically changing the theme of LS from Sea Base Alpha to Finding Nemo. Currently, everything is open (the Sea Base, Turtle Talk, etc) except the front of the building (which houses the ride). So basically, the only thing that you won't be able to see that you could have seen last year is the preshow film & the hydrolators. Later next year, the ride will be coming back (in all it's Finding Nemo glory) and there will be no preshow.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Wishin' I was at WDW.

Read this article earlier today... seems Jim Hill prefaced it as bad news, but I don't see Siemens involvement with Spaceship Earth as a bad thing. Looks like they would like to keep the attraction as is, but updated for current times. Hmmm.... seems like what Epcot fans have been wanting for this all along.

Perhaps the bad news lie with the "Finding Nemo" overlay on Living Seas. I don't know. I was always impressed by the aquarium within, but found the pavilion a bit dry, and after seeing the movie once, would skip it. Maybe the addition of "Nemo" will stimulate young minds to learn more about oceanic life. Here's hoping.

Wonders of Life was sadly stuck in the 80s. It's sad to see a pavilion devoted to the human body go, but in its design elements and presentation, it was hopelessly dated and needed a good gutting. If it does turn into a Pixar pavilion it might be interesting. If they were to focus it on the art of computer animation and the latest in computer technology from an educational standpoint, it just may fit in with Future World after all.

• The one, the only...

I am glad that Spaceship Earth is staying as it is. It is very Disney in its design. I do hope that they update it, but we have to remember what happened to AI when it was Stitched. Yuk!

I have mixed feeling about Wonders of Life. That theme has SO much potential. But one has to spend MONEY! I would rather have it Pixar-fied than have it just shut down. Mixing all of Pixar themes seems strange to me. Toy bugs are saved by Super-heros driving monster cars? It sounds crazy to me...
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

I don't usually find Jim Hill to have the most accurate info, but according to my personal sources, this is pretty accurate.

SSE is basically staying with an updated ending and new postshow, which I think is a good thing.

Living Seas is turning into a Finding Nemo fishtank ... look for some of the new Anaheim sub ride effects to find their way here (hint ... hint ...) and likely won't be finished before fall 2006 as another way to sell a semi-new product to idiot reporters.

And Disney has NO idea what to do with WoL, other than shutter it.

The Pixar idea is one of a few being tossed around. Again, what it has to do with Epcot's theme/plan/design no one can answer ... but I'm sure it'll please the folks who like the BAH and BAW!

• Vehicle rotating backward

Well, icky poo! I thought the SeaBase Alpha thing was kind of interesting in that "imaginative yet educating" vibe one would get from Walt's old primetime TV presentations. Looks like I just missed the window on that one.

While I wouldn't be opposed to a PixarLand at the Studios, perhaps inviting the company to take a hand in the design of the place, their own Epcot pavillion!? What the...

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    The Pixar idea is one of a few being tossed around. Again, what it has to do with Epcot's theme/plan/design no one can answer ... but I'm sure it'll please the folks who like the BAH and BAW!
    Well that depends on how they handle it. If they make it a teaching-computer-animation pavilion, it'll easily fit into Epcot. The same goes if they use the characters to teach us something.

As for LS, although I loved it's overly cheesy preshow, I felt the inside was just an aquarium. Something that didn't really excite me (even the ride was a bit drab for me). Turtle Talk was a good addition imo, I I think I'll like the nemo theme better.

-Michael

• time to go

Sad Re: JHM/SSE/LS/WoL Article

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    And Disney has NO idea what to do with WoL, other than shutter it.
    Geez... even though this is Future World, it isn't rocket science.

WoL is past its prime. It's as painful to experience as those awful Kaiser Permanente "old fat guy exercises to Dylan" commercials.

Cranium Command is cute, I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for the Buzzy AA, but... it's dated. Seriously dated.

Body Wars conjures up faint memories of Stephen Boyd, Raquel Welch, and Donald Pleasence. "Dirty Dr. A" must have been proud. But Star Tours, it ain't. Send the simulators to HKDL. They actually NEED them. Epcot doesn't.

But if they really want to keep some kind of medical theme to this pavilion, Siemens could help them out. Gut out everything, and blow out the back of the building. Create a robocoaster "Tron" attraction loosely tied to Siemens' MRI division. Put MRI and other "advanced medical tech" exhibits in the front of the pavilion, in the queue, whatever.

And give the attraction a "dual personality," by offering different motion programs for the individual coaster vehicles. Like the Indy/CTX jeeps, each one carries its own onboard computer. So split the queue and loading docks, making one "family friendly" and the other "thrillseeker" in nature. Different vehicle, different riding experience. But the show building and Tron screens/sets remain the same.

The problem I see with Disney's "we don't know what to do with WoL" stems from lack of investment willingness, not lack of imagination. I think M:S burned out what little confidence they still possessed, regarding their capacity to produce must-see E-Tickets.

I feel a dual experience Tron robocoaster is a no-brainer for Epcot, but what do I know. I still expect Epcot to maintain FW, with some semblance to science and technology. But I guess I'm expecting too much.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    Well, icky poo! I thought the SeaBase Alpha thing was kind of interesting in that "imaginative yet educating" vibe one would get from Walt's old primetime TV presentations. Looks like I just missed the window on that one.
    That's a decent comparison.

In 1986 when the Living Seas opened, I felt it was a truly awe-inspiring type attraction. It did feel like you were traveling deep under the sea to a futuristic sea base and the exhibits did carry that through.

The tanks were, at the time, the largest display of their kind in the world. Just amazing, really. I spent hours at a time there. ... then you could walk next door and experience dining on some of the creatures that had just swam by!

It didn't age well ... that much is a given. But there were many ways of updating it without resorting to using characters. There was a major one proposed by WDI about 6-7 years ago that would have added a thrill-type ride, extended the sea cabs with a new storyline and replaced the pre-show. It was expensive. We all know what happens with expensive projects at WDI -- they either go to Tokyo or die.

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    Well that depends on how they handle it. If they make it a teaching-computer-animation pavilion, it'll easily fit into Epcot. The same goes if they use the characters to teach us something.
    But what does animation have to do with the story of Epcot and Future World?

It seems like a natural for the Disney-MGM Studios, especially with the void and huge space left when they closed FAF, but Epcot?

That seems like a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    As for LS, although I loved it's overly cheesy preshow, I felt the inside was just an aquarium. Something that didn't really excite me (even the ride was a bit drab for me). Turtle Talk was a good addition imo, I I think I'll like the nemo theme better.

-Michael
    It's still gonna be a giant fishtank. The difference is Nemo, Marlin, Dory and the gang will be all over the place. Turtle Talk is fun, and the kiddies (as well as WDW1974's mom) love it. But I would hate to see the whole place brought down to the level of six-year-olds.

But I'll reserve opinion until the project is completed. I have heard good buzz (obvious Pixar reference) about the redo from friends at WDI.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyDriveBy
    Geez... even though this is Future World, it isn't rocket science.

WoL is past its prime. It's as painful to experience as those awful Kaiser Permanente "old fat guy exercises to Dylan" commercials.

Cranium Command is cute, I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for the Buzzy AA, but... it's dated. Seriously dated.

Body Wars conjures up faint memories of Stephen Boyd, Raquel Welch, and Donald Pleasence. "Dirty Dr. A" must have been proud. But Star Tours, it ain't. Send the simulators to HKDL. They actually NEED them. Epcot doesn't.
    ... But I guess I'm expecting too much.
    No, it isn't rocket science.

And no one will convince me that the human body/mind/health isn't a perfect fit for Epcot. The attractions are all dated and need replacing or updating. Cranium Command could easily be 'fixed' if it moved from mid-80s SNL alumni to current people.

But Disney is intent on throwing the theme away, which to me says WDI either can't come up with compelling attractions based on the theme or management won't foot the bill for them.

The whole point of FW's pavillions were that the themes were TIMELESS. Transportation, the Land, Seas, Imagination, Space ... once again, Disney is proving it doesn't know what it wants Epcot to be, so it is becoming a mish-mash (at least FW) in much the way that the Disney-MGM Studios and DCA have. Once you throw away the main storyline without completing changing it for another, you have a recipe for mess.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Now I am getting annoyed here. Sure there isn't much really new to see but has anyone found any good (free to view) photos of the new Seas since it opened? I really want to see it so I can judge for myself to see if this Seabase is really better than SeaBase Alpha.

On a side note...I will be so glad when these constant little Living Seas rehabs are over...they've been going on for years at this point to make it Nemo here, Nemo there. I just want it donw.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast