• insufferable know-it-all

Save my favorite station! (Fabulous 690)

Okay, this was suggested in another thread, but I figured I'd separate the issue, as it's more appropriate in Community Outpost.

The basic story: Some sort of legal loophole was closed regarding how many broadcasting (radio) stations a corporation can own. The loophole having to do with the transmitter being in Mexico. So clearchannel was forced, I guess to sell one of its stations - that station being Fabulous 690 (formerly Fabulous 570 - guess who got shafted in being moved to the Mexican transmitter?)

So the crew and listeners are desperately hoping someone else can be prevailed upon to pick up the (AWESOME) format and keep the "station" (format) going.

In that light, I'd like to strongly encourage folks to give 690 am a listen. They play music from "The Great American Songbook," that is to say, the standards. Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Ella Fitzgerald, Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gorme, as well as more recent stars in the genre such as Michael Buble, Renee Olstead, Diana Krall, and occasionally even standards done by folks usually outside the genre like "Over The Rainbow" by Iz (Israel Kamakawiwo'ole - you've never heard of him, but I'll be you heard the opening notes to that song in the cotton commercials and don't know it).

What I love about their format, what they have going at that station, relates not just to the amazing collection of classic hits as well as less-known, hard-to-find titles by classic artists, but also the in-depth histories and anecdotes from the deejays. It's more than "that was such-and-such by so-and-so"... For example today, it was "Here's a great tune by so-and-so that he wrote while working as <other famous performer>'s arranger." Plus they get frequent call-ins by the performers themselves, who are also avid listeners of the station. Steve Lawrence called in from the east coast this morning to say hi and celebrate his birthday, just to name an example.

If you like that kind of music, or are looking for something fresh and fabulous, please give the station a listen by either going to 690am or checking out their live feed (yep! If you're out of the So Cal area, you can still hear them!) Then please spread the word.

Hopefully, if there's enough verifiable listenership and enough buzz, someone will come along and pick up the format.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Vehicle rotating backward

Re: Save my favorite station!

Unfortunately, this format is dropping like flies in cities right now. The other month we lost the local Sinatra & friends station in Las Vegas. Yes, you read that right.

Good luck, but if it doesn't work out there's always the two satellite radio networks, who each have a station like this. Having experience with those two services, I'd reccomend XM over Sirius if you went that route for your standards fix. XM will play wider playlists and obscure tracks and is better at taking requests, and they have a deal with the Sinatra estate for some of Frank's rare recordings. Sirius tends to play the well-worn hits repetatively.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon

The basic story: Some sort of legal loophole was closed regarding how many broadcasting (radio) stations a corporation can own. The loophole having to do with the transmitter being in Mexico. So clearchannel was forced, I guess to sell one of its stations - that station being Fabulous 690 (formerly Fabulous 570 - guess who got shafted in being moved to the Mexican transmitter?)

So the crew and listeners are desperately hoping someone else can be prevailed upon to pick up the (AWESOME) format and keep the "station" (format) going.

What I love about their format, what they have going at that station, relates not just to the amazing collection of classic hits as well as less-known, hard-to-find titles by classic artists, but also the in-depth histories and anecdotes from the deejays. It's more than "that was such-and-such by so-and-so"... For example today, it was "Here's a great tune by so-and-so that he wrote while working as <other famous performer>'s arranger." Plus they get frequent call-ins by the performers themselves, who are also avid listeners of the station. Steve Lawrence called in from the east coast this morning to say hi and celebrate his birthday, just to name an example.

Hopefully, if there's enough verifiable listenership and enough buzz, someone will come along and pick up the format.
    I could not agree with you more, Morrigoon. It's a great radio format and hopefully one of the other stations in town, particularly on the FM band will carry it on. I know, someone will do what Infinity did to "Arrow" and they'll call the station...FRANK...or NAT...or BING.
    Seriously, though, I will say this...radio was a far better medium to work in, and listen to, before deregulation allowed gargantuans like Clear Channel to gobble up over a thousand stations in the first place.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Yeah, but isn't Clear Channel the owner of this station, being forced to sell it?

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    Yeah, but isn't Clear Channel the owner of this station, being forced to sell it?
    Yes - but only because it owns so many stations that it had to divest itself of some to stay within the law. One company - Clear Channel - now owns over a thousand stations in the U-S. The limit prior to 90's deregulation was, I believe,12.
    But Morrigoon, forget the issues I have with deregulation and what I feel Clear Channel and other conglomerates (including Disney) have done to the industry.
    I, in no way, want to diminish the passion you (and I) feel for the loss of a great format in the Fabulous 690. With Brad Chambers abd Daisy Torme and the rest, they have once again shown the difference between a jukebox and a real radio station. Again, I hope it winds up in an even better spot on the dial.
    Take solace in this. Fans of most radio stations get no warning or explanation when their favorite dj or station just "goes away". To its credit, Clear Channel is doing this the right way.
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 12-20-2005 at 05:23 PM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

You bring back some memories of my old radio days. I once visited the transmitter/studio of 690. This was in the 70's and the station was then known as "The Mighty 690" broadcasting oldies. The transmitter was a vintage 1930's RCA behomoth literally the size of the average motel room filled with giant vaccuum tubes and decorated with chromium thunderbolts. The studio sported 14" turntables and a large picture window overlooking the Pacific Ocean.

Anyway... tune to AM 1260 or 540 in Los Angeles for The Great American Songbook.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Re: Save my favorite station! (Fabulous 690)

The morning DJ, Brad "MartiniMan" Chambers posted the following bulletin on his MySpace:
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad "MartiniMan" Chambers
    Most of you probably found my space at MySpace through Fabulous 690 - The Lounge. So you undoubtedly know the station will be signing off soon.

The FCC reinterpreted ownership rules and mandated that we unload one station. Because 690 is not owned outright by Clear Channel (our parent company), but instead is a partnership between CC and a Mexican company, ours was the one that had to be sold. The new owners will probably take over on or around Feb 1.

Having said that, I encourage you to tell ALL YOUR FRIENDS to try Fabulous 690, either on the air or on-line at http://www.fabulousradio.com. (Click on the 'Listen Live' link)

It is urgent that we go out on top and without a marketing budget, YOU are our marketing department. So PLEASE tell EVERYONE you know to listen a lot over the next coupla weeks - and tell THEM to tell everyone THEY know. And make sure if your friends ask what station you listen to, you tell them FABULOUS 690 - THE LOUNGE. (If you use our old call letters, your friends will be tuning in to a talk station). And if you know anyone in the radio business or anyone who advertises, tell them you like having a fun station that plays Frank, Dean, Ella and all the greats...plus the new stars singing classic songs, Michael Buble, Renee Olstead, Steve Tyrell, Diana Krall, Erin Boheme and more like them...AND the great SWING bands, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Indigo Swing, Royal Crown Revue, Michael Andrew & Swingerhead...and the list goes on.

Finally, if you talk to anyone from Clear Channel, thank them for giving us our 3-year shot. If it weren't for KFI, KOST, KIIS-FM and the others, Fabulous never would have been born.

Spread the word. Please.

Thanks!

Brad

• And, THEN she said...

Im so sorry you are losing your station.. if i could i would help but i dont get that here..

this brings back memories of when i lost my fave station..KNAC 105.5..i was angry and heartbroken when they switched it to a latino music format.. i was a KNAC fan from the first day to the last day..there was no other station for me..FM radio was never the same for me after that..hopefully you will be as lucky to find the songbook on the net like i did when i found KNAC.com

edit sorry i didnt see the link..i will be sure to tune in on the net! (even tho I dont listen to that style..(thats why they make a button to turn down the speakers) ((HUGS))
    Last edited by Groomer; 01-17-2006 at 12:51 AM.

• And, THEN she said...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
    You bring back some memories of my old radio days. I once visited the transmitter/studio of 690. This was in the 70's and the station was then known as "The Mighty 690" broadcasting oldies. The transmitter was a vintage 1930's RCA behomoth literally the size of the average motel room filled with giant vaccuum tubes and decorated with chromium thunderbolts. The studio sported 14" turntables and a large picture window overlooking the Pacific Ocean.

Anyway... tune to AM 1260 or 540 in Los Angeles for The Great American Songbook.
    I was wondering if it was the mighty 690.. i used to love that station in my young days (before i fell in love with rock n roll) the best thing the mighty 609 had for me was Dr Demento on sunday nights at 10! I still love ol Dr D!...STAY DEEEEEMENTED!

Well, 1/20 and they're still on the air. Still no mention of when the end will come, but each day I tune in, glad to hear them still playing.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by groomer_4_u
    I was wondering if it was the mighty 690.. i used to love that station in my young days (before i fell in love with rock n roll) the best thing the mighty 609 had for me was Dr Demento on sunday nights at 10! I still love ol Dr D!...STAY DEEEEEMENTED!
    Same station indeed...in its history its been all-news, elevator muzak, oldies, then around 1980 a format with "Whip It" by Devo and Dolly Parton's 9-to-5 among other songs played about 15 times an hour...later oldies again, news/talk, then "XTRA Sports 690" and finally, the Lounge (after a Clear Channel format flip from 570).
    All the while with the Mexican national anthem each night at midnight, a Spanish public affairs show each Sunday night at ten pm, commercials for the Mexican Tourism Board...and the lady coming on every hour or so...
    Ekeese A...Tay Erre Ahh...Tijuana (later Baja California and Rosarito) Mehh-he-koh...Spelled phonetically (sort of) from Spanish.
    A part of Southern California radio history no matter how you say it.

• Circle of Ancients

This is sad news indeed. But I'm sorry to say that radio is all but dead. I mean with Ipods and Satellite radio now it's just so much easier to listen to what you want to listen to without annoying DJ's and commercials all the time.

• Who's your DaddyB?

I don't HOW many artists and new albums I've discovered in the past 2 years alone solely because 690 played them. Jamie Collum, Michael Buble, and the different albums/cd's/MP3's I've (legally) purchased are many. Bette Midler's "Rosemary Clooney songbook" probably being my favorite find (but anything from Jamie Collum coming a close 2nd).

Hell, I can almost stand to listen to Rod Stewart when he's singing from the great American songbook.

Almost.

Radio is only dead or dying because of:

A) poor quality of music offered doesn't inspire anyone to go out and buy the CD, besides, there are SO many one-hit-wonders today... why buy an CD?
    B) over-programming of radio today.
    Every day I listen to Fabulous radio and just can't help believe that someone will step in and take Martini and Daisy and the whole Lounge to another frequency. This is all like a bad joke. Something so GOOD going away and all the junk and trash still left cluttering up the place.

It's like throwing out the baby and KEEPING the bathwater!
    ---------------------------------------------

a walk around the park... Star Tours, Nemo, Fantasyland, Frontierland, DCA... and more!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

In case anyone hadn't heard, the Fabulous 690 will go away for good next Sunday night 2/5 - a not so "Super Sunday" for the station's many fans.
    On Tuesday, Daisy Torme will start off a countdown of songs leading to the "last song" voted by fans on the station website. After that, the countdown will repeat sans announcers until next Sunday night, when a company from Madrid will take over ownership of the Baja-based station and program in Spanish.

Quote Originally Posted by daddyb
    I don't HOW many artists and new albums I've discovered in the past 2 years alone solely because 690 played them. Jamie Collum, Michael Buble, and the different albums/cd's/MP3's I've (legally) purchased are many. Bette Midler's "Rosemary Clooney songbook" probably being my favorite find (but anything from Jamie Collum coming a close 2nd).

Radio is only dead or dying because of:

A) poor quality of music offered doesn't inspire anyone to go out and buy the CD, besides, there are SO many one-hit-wonders today... why buy an CD?
    B) over-programming of radio today.

I say not over-programmed as much as over-researched. Too much dependence on focus groups in shopping malls and less reliance on expertise of those who know a good song when they hear it.
    And while ClearChannel has done a good job with this particular station, the de-regulation that now allows companies to own thousands of stations has led to hard times in the business overall.
    On the bright side, fans of the Fabulous 690, and it's air staff, have been given plenty of warning and a good chance to say goodbye.
    Compare that to the usual radio practice like occurred at Arrow 93 last year...jocks were contacted on the phone...not even face to face...and told that there services were no longer needed...and the next day, they're gone...and a nameless, faceless computer named "JACK" is there instead.
    Having said that, I share sadness with Morrigoon and others who have posted here about the loss of a great station. There are some FM's in the LA market that could do a whole lot worse than to bring Brad, Daisy and the bunch in.

• Vehicle rotating backward

That's unfortunate. We managed to get our standards and lounge crooner FM station, KJUL, back in Las Vegas but it took complaints, letters to the newspaper, and even some small organized protesting by the retirement-aged crowd to get them to unload the station's name and letters to another owner, which is now broadcasting it in another spot on the dial. Appearantly someone realized that there are some rather substantial numbers of retirees in the valley who enjoy this stuff, and that's the only reason it came back.

I again encouraged displaced listeners to check out satellite, Frank's Place on XM or Standard Time on Sirius.