Splash Mountain Working Model

Ok, so here is what I want to do...I want to create a "working" model of Splash Mountain...I'm probably not going to make all the different interior set pieces...but currently I'm thinking I will carve the flume out of foam probably and then seal it with some sort of a resin...any other ideas on materials? The thing I'm most scared about is making the rock-work look realistic.

As far as the ride components go...since Splash is basically a "flow" ride I will just need to pump water to the top of the lift hills and let it go from there. I saw someone was thinking about buying a kit for $300 to use the lift hills...but I don't think it would be that expensive to manufacture something...especially since it doesn't require much power to move a little belt...(I'm thinking like the old K'nex roller coaster motors on the lift hill, or something like that)

And does anyone have good info to base scaling off of? I know the mountain is 87 feet tall, but I'm looking at other dimensions, might use google earth somehow...anyone have track info? (layout etc?) I am planning on updating this post and a blog about it as I go.

I'm thinking for a scale 1/64 or 1/43

Re: Splash Mountain Working Model

I would look into scenery guides used by model railroads. Moat of the materials used such as foam, laytex paint, and resin are water proof. There have been a few train layouts which have used actual water, and at least one which was robust enough to be exposed to rain and snow (created by a supermarket vegetable washer).

Your biggest challenge will be motorizing the model. I would avoid K-Nex (or even Lego) motors due to their size and weakness. Look for smaller and stronger motors. Also make sure to waterproof your electronics, don't want any safety issues (or else DOSH might shut down your ride model).
    Last edited by xboxtravis7992; 04-18-2013 at 10:43 AM.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Splash Mountain Working Model

Hope you post pics when you're done, this sounds like fun!