New to MC and looking for insight on the travel/travel marketing profession
Hey everyone! I'm new to MiceChat (although I've been an avid reader for the last three years or so). I was wondering if there was anyone here who is in the travel industry and might be able to answer a few questions for me or knows of a reliable board elsewhere that my question might be more appropriate? I graduated four years ago with a BA in English and after exploring different career choices, I have recently decided that I want to get into travel marketing. If there is anyone who would be interested in taking a few minutes to help me I'd greatly appreciate it. Here they are:
• Where do you see the travel/travel marketing industry (or profession) going in the next few years? What changes have you seen in the course of your career so far?
• What specialized training or education is required to succeed in this field now? How has that changed?
• Which skills have you found most helpful, and which ones will be most important in the future?
• Could you describe your average workday and your key job responsibilities?
• What are the best and worst things about working in this field today?
• What resources help you keep up with the industry? Which trade or professional associations have you found most useful?
• Has anything surprised you over the course of your career? What changes have you found most challenging?
• Would you choose this field if you had it to do over again? Is there anything you would do differently?
• What are the biggest technological changes influencing this business right now?
• In what ways does your job affect your life outside work? How do you see work-life balance issues affecting colleagues?