Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Munchings & Crunchings

Re: Introducing... the Happiness Express delivery service!

OK, my post came in after the clarification of the "d**k" explanation, sorry. I get the reference, even though I haven't heard it, but it explains it sort of. It's not exactly nice, but it's meant as a general "you" (internet), not specifically us. However, I'm still baffled about how this forum is seen as unfriendly. There are so many great people here, and we're doing pretty well for ourselves compared to the other collecting forums. I'm so grateful that DustySage got us our own separate Duffy forum.

• Faith Trust & Shellie May

i am all for more shopping services and i dont mind if they do it for profit.I think its a good idea for those of us who cant wait for duffy d.This persons site however does copy alot of duffyd's coast to coast lingo and such.If your going to offer the service fine but dont plagerize.

Hi again,

First of all, thank you for checking out and commenting on Happiness Express’ role in the community, as well as the methods and motives behind it. I would like to take this opportunity to explain a little behind the introduction of this service and respond to some of the thoughts from the replies.

Honestly yesterday after reading some of the comments, I was extremely disappointed and was having mixed feelings about shutting down this project that I created to try provide this community with an alternative pick-up service that some might prefer. Maybe I was expecting the community to appreciate that someone else is trying to offer a similar pick up service (Competition breeds innovation and means better everything for the customers)

At no point did I belittle or insult the existing Duffy Post in any way. If you felt I did so, I apologize and would like to clarify that in advance. That is not the point I was trying to make – Happiness Express isn’t a replacement because Duffy Post sucks – no – it is merely an alternative to it. If you feel comfortable using Duffy Post because you feel loyal to it, or you like it, or you appreciate DuffyDaisuki’s contribution to this community – feel free to continue to use Duffy Post. By any means I have no idea as to why anyone would feel offended by the introduction of Happiness Express.

And all this claims of plagiarism? I beg to differ. There were claims that I copy pasted and edited DuffyDaisuki’s post: Well, I wrote every word that’s on the page and there was no copy and paste from DuffyDaisuki’s post. I will not deny that the service have been inspired by his service (in fact I referenced it in the FAQs page), and the system it is using is based on his working system… but there is only so many ways of running a service like this. I will not deny that I based the Happiness Express system upon the currently well tried-and-accepted system on Duffy Post, but I tried to improve upon it in my own ways. The easiest way to start something is not to try and change a method that a community is comfortable with to something totally different and new but instead is to keep the essence of it and improve upon it. Every ‘business’ out there does this – in every market. Otherwise, how do you propose a pick up service should be run manually? Between the ordering procedure, the fees and putting up a simple translated list of the goods available on TDR’s site so people who don’t navigate the Japanese site might not feel overwhelmed with the need to – I do not feel that there was plagiarism except for the ‘idea’

You might not understand the motive, as a few of you mentioned there, the hard work involved in this might not even make the fees worth it. Well, similar to DuffyDaisuki’s motive of running Duffy Post, I am doing this not as a business, but as a service to the community, which explains the minimal rates to cover my expenses of running the trips. I will not deny that I will probably be able to watch Fantasmic or go on Splash Mountain again while running the trips – and that is probably part of my motivation. But at the end of the day, as you mentioned, it is a lot of hard work, and I have planned a system that I was confident with before I finished the site and posted it. Trust me, I have heart.

The other motives as to why I introduced Happiness Express:

1. Someone I knew wanted to place an order at some point at Duffy Post for the Spring Voyage, and DuffyDaisuki had limited the number of Wishlisters and it was full. There were almost a whole page of people who wanted to join in but couldn’t. Neither did DuffyDaisuki address them in the following replies – just ignored (which to me felt a little arrogant). In scenarios like this, Happiness Express can be an alternative.
    2. I have read through some of the posts where DuffyDaisuki was very stressed and frustrated with some WishListers, and there is a huge load on him as he has a lot of orders to process. I am offering this service to offer an alternative service in the event that one might be overloaded.

The advantages that I was hoping to provide are:

1. Happiness Express rates are simple to understand – one fixed rate no matter when the shopping day is. There is only one rate where Duffy Post is actually cheaper, and that is when you have more than 5 people for a seasonal event.
    2. Happiness Express also offers more delivery service choices if you prefer other couriers, and a South East Asia sub-courier service.

Basically, in summary, I am dedicated to maintaining Happiness Express as a service that will only get better and better once I get the hang of it. Believe me, I did a lot of groundwork in terms of the handling of the goods and organization of the orders before this so that this would not be overwhelming and hopefully go smoothly.

----------------------------

To DuffyDaisuki,

I would first like to apologize for not knowing you were a guy.

I feel that it is a little unfair for you to pin me down for “insulting” and “ripping off everything” from Duffy Post. At no point did I claim to be ‘simpler than Duffy Post’ and implied nothing regarding your Duffy Post service as you claimed I did.
    I apologize if I copied your… “procedures”. From what I read on your post itself, you mentioned “It was born from response to expressed community need and its guidelines were created and agreed upon through community discussion.” If this community felt that these procedures/guidelines work for them, it doesn’t make sense for me to change things up and make the very community I’m trying to serve unhappy… If that makes sense to you.

I will comply with your request to not use the term ‘wishlist’ (although I have used my amazon and steam wishlist for years) and change it to the more common name of ‘order list’ out of respect. I was going to use Happiness List but it doesn’t really make sense.

One thing though - I also do not see how the rates are a copy – I do not have seasonal and non-seasonal rates, or special request rates. And Happiness Express’ rates are a flat 30%. I feel that I am being misjudged for trying to profit from this – but I am in this ‘business’ as much as would be and of all people, you should know the profit margin for this. If the rates that you chose are good enough to cover your expenses, wouldn’t it be possible that after calculations these are the same reasonable rates I came up with? I hope you can understand this.

Thanks.
    ----------------------------

I hope with this reply that the community will understand more as to why I have established Happiness Express. I feel horrible if I am causing a commotion here with this, but I feel that I did not deserve such harsh treatment for providing a new pick up service. I’m really not here to ruin the community – no. Just trying to make it better. After all, this is a service for you and I would like people to be… Happy!

Thanks

Akaru

P.S. If there are any suggestions in terms of changes needed for the site/service, just drop me a message and I’ll work on it.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Sad Re: Introducing... the Happiness Express delivery service!

Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 06-05-2013 at 06:46 AM. Reason: ...

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 06-05-2013 at 06:46 AM.

• Munchings & Crunchings

I think the fact that you DON"T post pictures and prices offsite is one of the things that makes it fun. Ok, there have been times where people have been confused about items, prices, descriptions. But that's what the community is here for! Any time that happens, we all help out that person as best we can to make sure everybody knows what the items are. It helps bring everyone together when we are making our wishlists.

If it were done offsite, and only communication through the owner of that site was allowed, it would actually slow things down. Right now, there are people here from all over the world who can answer questions rather quickly. Also, we all get excited about each new release and come here to gush about it and share info. That's fun. Looking at a store site isn't as fun.

Also, before using Duffy Post, I was buying from a really nice woman who had an ebay store in Japan. I know several other posters here have dealt with her as well. She's at the parks all the time and she is running it as a business and paying the ebay fees. So, if for some reason, Duffy Post was not available, or not an option, I would choose her over Happiness Express. I'm not sure what the advantage to the standalone store is, when there are lots of people living in Japan who run ebay stores and ship to the US. Disney Dream Store is the one I used to use, and she is fantastic. Of course I support DuffyDaisuki because he's my friend and because he takes absolute care in choosing the best Duffy items, and it's not about "gimmie this thing now!". I like sharing the Duffy experience, and Duffy Post is the only way I'll do that right now.

• Pals: Bart and Duffy

I was harsh in my first post; it was a knee-jerk reaction. I get Akaru's stance, and there are things on his/her website that aren't necessarily easily had, as our source is TDS, not TDR.
    I also understand that businesses often model themselves after other, successful businesses.

Hopefully my initial post wasn't what started this inferno; I think there would have been major friction even without it.

With that said, I do stick by my feelings and agree with gurgi. When shopping trips are planned, so much fun is had by the unveiling of pictures, discussion about items, ooohs and aaahs. It makes it exciting...as does the anticipation of one's box arriving when other's have posted that they just got theirs. None of this is to be had when shopping on a website.
    Last edited by Ilovegreataur; 06-05-2013 at 07:33 AM. Reason: type-o

DuffyDaisuki,

I will not be going through each of your points to try and rebut you as if you've made up your mind on wanting to argue on every definition or term, I am not interested in that.

However, you accuse me of talking smack, feeling disrespect or disregard of Duffy Post. If you want to feel so, I can't help you that you are taking it so personally. I have said it and I will say it again. NEVER have I said that Duffy Post is not simple enough. Or that it sucks. If I have, quote me. If not, then stop accusing me and then even trying to paint me as a horrible scam artist.

On to a few clarifications:

In terms of my calculations, so it so happens that we are having a similar price structure, and I was confident with it as that's a safe point for me. I would like to start higher and then gradually lower down to my cost once I estimate after a couple of trips too. What's wrong with that? I do not need to know the details behind your calculations - that wasn't what I based it on. The reason you see the 'similar' discount is to do a 'promotion match' and I genuinely like to promote more of Duffy too. I would like to refrain from further comparisons on semantics of who is cheaper and whatnot. I would like the people to calculate and judge for themselves.

In terms of the options available... The shipping options I listed are options if people preferred them. The SEA option is for cheaper shipping to surrounding areas. Items will be shipped from Japan if you do not opt for that option. I don't think giving choices are a bad thing. The posting of the Google translated listings of items on site is just so that it's easy to access as accessing the Japanese TDR site might intimidate people who aren't fluent with the language. I never claimed it was done personally - just a rough quick translate - copy paste. The whole site was put together in a day, after I figured out that I can run this service. I do not think I need to explain the site design format to you - why I copy pasted instead of self translated and edited. Not the point.

Happiness Express being a site is more of a plus point for me as I am better and more comfortable editing web sites than making forum posts pretty. Notice that I have no discussion area or anything - all that still happens here on MiceChat. How you are nitpicking in terms of the wordings of something I typed up in a day, well, I have nothing to say about it.

I just don't get why are you attacking this service left and right and center (multiple times on each point at that) if you are all about this community flourishing. Your continuous intimidating responses to this topic only indicated to me that Duffy Post is much more 'business minded' than I thought. Why are you so offended besides the fact that you feel that you might lose your WishListers and thus some money?

That, and I think you are taking this too personally if you see every of my statement as attacking you. Please try and take a step back on this and stop being angry, and I do not mind discussing things that you feel need to be changed.

----

gurgi and Ilovegreatur,

In response to gurgi's post, I understand your point. As you can see from the site, the price lists were just a quick copy paste reference. It's not even formatted as a news site or anything like that - likely the discussions will still happen and people will still discover things here on this forum. I do not think people will only just refresh Happiness Express' page every day. It will be boring. I do not see how this will divert people's attention in terms of discussions and corrections away. When people want to purchase, however, it is easier to check a list that's available. For example, if you go to a McDonalds, you might know what you want already because you have already seen it and discussed about it somewhere. But there's still the menu for reference. That's what the pictures and prices are about.

I am not forcing anything on anyone, and of course you can choose to continue using your contacts/existing known services, including DuffyDaisuki's Duffy Post. Just like any other provider of these other pick up services, though, I will continue to improve and hopefully make the service more efficient, cheaper and more user friendly. In fact, if this trial run turns out as well in terms of the finances, the rates might go as low as 10%, but I can only determine that after a real run. I hope people will judge based on results and not pre-judged impressions, but I cannot do much about it other than hope someone will order something and then come back to talk about the experience.

I think an important thing to remember is that the Happiness Express site isn't a site like Amazon. You can't find out about new products or chat about it there. Think of it as a really nicely formatted series of posts (it kinda really is) that outlines how the system works. I would definitely be interested in participating in discussions about new items and all that stuff too now that I have started posting. I have been lurking for months but never really made an account.

I hope you understand the reason why it's a site - it's simply because I have been making a lot of web sites, and I can format/edit/add new pages for those faster than I can edit a decent looking post.

Thanks,

Akaru

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

Folks, with no disrespect meant to the OP or any other participants in this thread, MiceChat does not generally allow commerce to take place on our boards. The only place we do allow it, and in very limited amounts is in our Community Outpost forum.

From our FAQ, all members agree to follow when joining this site:
    What about promoting my site on MiceChat?
    While we appreciate the idea of getting the latest news from the community, we ask that you refrain from posts that only promote another website. However, feel free to put a link in your signature, or use the homepage option in your profile. Discussions about specific articles/news from another website may be moved to the Community Outpost forum.
    And more specifically on advertising a business in sig lines:
    What are the rules regarding Signature Lines?
    The "Sig Line" is the place where you can type a standard conclusion to your posts, or post a small picture or link to your personal web site or blog (but not to a business without our prior approval). MiceChat does not allow you to link to other Disney Fan sites or post general advertising in your Sig Line - That would be considered SPAM and may result in the suspension of your account. While we do not have a "Maximum" size for signature images, users are asked to keep their Sig Lines as small as possible, so the boards do not become too cluttered looking. When in doubt, ask a Moderator for their thoughts and suggestions.
    Many of the posts in this thread also break our rules on civility, being outright personal attacks. These boards are provided for for fans of everything Disney. They are provided with the understanding that we are permitted to post here as long as we follow a few simple rules, most of which have to do with being kind to each other. There is a distinct lack of kindness in many posts here. If you feel the posts of any other member are inappropriate, do not take them on in the open boards. Use the report post link at the bottom-left of every page to let the moderators decide how to handle the situation.

Thanks for your understanding.

This thread now resides in our Community Outpost, and is now closed.
    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

— Ernest Thompson Seton

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12