Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Introducing... the Happiness Express delivery service!

Hi guys!

I have been lurking a lot in these forums for a long time. Ever since I was a boy I always loved Disney, and seeing the efforts of this community, I would love to support it. How? Well, I came up with the Happiness Express!

Inspired by this community's very own Duffy Post Coast to Coast service, Happiness Express will be a delivery service for anyone who would like to purchase any merchandise from Tokyo Disney Resort... including, of course, Duffy and Shellie May plushies, accessories, costumes, and everything else you can think of.

The reason I established this is to help the community to get things they want! At first I was going to make it forum based, but as I had experience in making websites, I decided to work out a simple website, with an easy way of navigating through a couple of the items that are available right now from Tokyo Disney Resort.

Check out the simple site here: Happiness Express - Home

Feel free to join the Happiness Express on my next trip scheduled for July 8th!

Of course, I will respond to any questions here.

P.S. I nearly forgot - Of course Duffy and Shellie May items will get a discount! <3

• <45 days

Re: Introducing... the Happiness Express delivery service!

Akaru,
    In the spirit of all things Duffy, you should be ashamed of yourself. For all intents and purposes, Duffy Post is the intellectual property of DuffyDaisuki. Call yours what you will, but you are being a complete copy cat.

It offends me, as I'm sure it does others, that you even dare to this.

I can only speak for my own loyalty, but I'm confident that there are many others out there who would not be disloyal to the Duffy Post. If you read the most recent posts in the Duffy Post thread, you will see examples of exactly how much we all appreciate DuffyDaisuki. I'm also willing to bet that after a few shopping trips, should you have any takers, you'll reconsider. From what I understand, organizing, shopping, sorting, shipping, and finances are quite an undertaking, all of which can only be done with great heart...the Happiness and Love that Duffy and ShellieMay bring.

So again, shame on you. I feel dirty with the knowledge that you've even dared to post here.
    ILG

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Sad Re: Introducing... the Happiness Express delivery service!

Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 06-05-2013 at 07:23 AM. Reason:

There will only be one service I would ever consider using! Try to come up with a unique selling point rather than stepping on someones toes - it's LAZY!

Photos from Flickr

• Munchings & Crunchings

Also, DuffyD has been here since the beginning, and helped build up this little corner of Duffy love. Obviously he's earned our trust and respect. I have no idea who Akaru is, and not sure why we should trust his service, since he's never posted before. I find the service just way too similar to Duffy Post, and the use of some of the same terms to be a little offensive. I don't quite understand the motive either, since it's not like it's a huge money maker, and the labor and time involved seems to almost make it not worth it. DuffyD does it out of sharing Duffy's love and luck for those that can't get to TDS, but it's not about making a business or a fancy website.
    Last edited by gurgi; 06-04-2013 at 05:42 AM.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Add me to the shocked and a little appalled column. Like it's been stated, DuffyD started doing this to help spread the Duffy love when Duffy wasn't even available in the US yet. HE (yes, DuffyD is a HE, not a SHE) did it out of the kindness of his heart, not to start a business. He doesn't do it for profit. Any profit DuffyD does make, he uses it to buy things for his own bears. He has earned our trust and you have no idea how many hours he goes through at the parks carefully selecting the very best items. He'll literally go through every single one of a particular item until he finds the one that is just right. Like my Shellie May... he chose the particular one I got because her head tilts to the side slightly like my Duffy does (which is why I chose my Duffy... the head tilt oozed personality).

If you're inspired to offer a similar shopping service, that's your prerogative, but don't copy the terms/fees exactly from DuffyPost. To me that just seems lazy. Be original and come up with your own way of doing it. You may find that it's not easy as it might look.

• No Spoons: Try Back Later

Guys, this feels a little like an overreaction. I see all that DuffyD does for people, and I appreciate that the Duffy Post exists and does such a quality job at getting people merchandise, but why can't others take inspiration from one's work and try to help out others who might not be comfortable with using the forum layout and would rather go through a more familiar route of ordering via website?

What is the point of attacking Akaru over some competition? I am sure that they came on here hoping that they might be able to help others by also doing pick-ups. Why does one person (and no offense to you, DuffyD) get to have a monopoly on the non-ebay Duffy pickup services? I'm amazed at how sometimes this forum, for speaking about love and happiness, can be really cruel and mean to people who don't agree with what they believe in, whether it's about the American version of Duffy or, god forbid, that there could be an alternative to the Duffy Post.

Chill out a bit. Maybe you should take a look at other successful collector's communities like pkmncollectors. They have multiple people who do pick-ups and they do just fine. There are the big names like Sunyshore and then smaller shops that suit other people's needs. Why can't we have a similar set-up where people have options rather than waiting for DuffyD to take a trip? More options means that more people can get the merch they want without a huge strain on one person. I know from reading your reports on the annoyances and trouble you go through with getting merch for people that you probably could use someone else picking up some of the slack. You might not think it, but it might be a good thing in the long run.

They're not going to take your [intensifier] business away just because they decided to open their own website to do pickups from TDL and TDS. Stop biting people's heads off for saying something that you don't agree with. Have a bit of [intensifier] respect! I have such a problem with this forum because it's at once super nice and friendly and as horrible as any youtube comment section. Just because it's the internet doesn't mean you have to act like a dick.

• Munchings & Crunchings

It's not so much about the competition, or taking up the slack. In this case, it's about specifically copying and referencing Duffy Post. I've seen those other collector services too, and they don't really reference each other and say "because so-and-so did it, I will to". They just exist side-by-side without being copycats. In this case, it's just a little too blatant, and also unproven. There is no way to see if he's highly rated, or has any feedback. At least with an Ebay store, you can see the seller's reputation, or with Duffy Post, we can share our experiences and advice with anybody wanting to buy. Nobody was biting off anybody's head when they were posting their ebay links to sell their own Duffy or ShellieMay stuff, so it's not like anybody is trying to monopolize here. I think if this guy had just stuck to TDR goods, kind of like the MagicalDelivery site, nobody would have batted an eye. I do realize that place only sells within Japan, but it's a similar service.

• <45 days

setavulos, I see your point and it may be valid. Start your own business, acceptable; be another source for items, sure; plagiarize from another, unacceptable.

(gurgi's response came through while I am typing this, so ditto on that.)

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Quote Originally Posted by setavulos View Post
    …Just because it's the internet doesn't mean you have to act like a dick.
    Wait… Who are you calling a d**k? Me? ILG? Gurgi? Aimster? Everyone? What did any of us say that warranted being called names, especially with language like that? It's [intensifier] really good advice, though.

I think the issue others and myself have is plagiarism, not "competition." Duffy Post is only a "monopoly" to someone who sees it as about making money. It really isn't for me, so I don't appreciate your "[intensifier] business" comment. I don't feel threatened and I certainly didn't bite anyone's head off.

I objected to the use of the term "Wishlist," which I think is fair. I said nothing about the fact that this person has copied my Guidelines, rates, and methods verbatim except that it's true. I passed no judgment about the plagiarism of months of work.

As for your comments about how "cruel and mean" and "horrible" this forum is, I don't know what to say. I am constantly moved by people here, including those who spoke up when they felt someone was trying to take advantage of a fellow community member, me. I don't think the point here was that anyone "disagreed" with Akaru offering a shopping service.

What I hear in these comments is that Akaru expected the same people who support and appreciate the Duffy Post to just accept that someone's first post on these boards was simply to blatantly advertise something that rips off the Post and removes the concept from this community. And though it offers set shopping days and exactly the same rates as Duffy Post (except without the seasonal or community discounts), it has the gall to insult the Post as "limited." It repeatedly presents itself as "simple," implying that the Duffy Post is "(too) complicated." Yet it has obviously copied all of its procedures, rates, and procedures from the Post. A "competitor" should have a better price or some competitive advantage, or at the very least, some kind of difference, other than removing everything personal and heartful. If they offered a 10% rate with no service fees, that would be something.

Also, I seem to vaguely recall you not liking something I said about some American release sometime in the past, I think it was around the first time you started posting. I have not been satisfied… No… I have been [intensifier] deeply disappointed by much of the US/global release because I think it has disrespected the artists and fans who brought Duffy to life, it has been of subpar quality, and it has lacked creative integrity. That is my [intensifier] opinion. The fact that I don't change my mind when someone disagrees with me doesn't make me cruel or mean or horrible. The fact that I express my opinions and the reasons for them doesn't either. I don't apologize for believing what I believe in, and I don't ask others to, either. In fact, I don't respect people who can't feel good about what they believe in even when it's challenged. That said, I've had plenty of positive things to say about US releases, when warranted…not that I am under any obligation to be satisfied with anything, ever.

I am honestly bewildered by your take on this situation, that you see the plagiarist as somehow being attacked, and the people standing up for their friend's creative work as "such a problem with this forum. It's not about "competition" or "business" for us; it's about stealing someone's pen and then using it to stab them in the eye while singing a cheerful tune, and that's laced with implied insults and passive aggression.

The fact that I don't appreciate someone insulting a system I designed (with this community, as a process) at the same time they try to steal it and use it to take money from my friends and community doesn't make me a "monopolist" or a "d**k." It makes me not a doormat. I'm not sorry for that, either. I can't really understand why you would want or expect me to be, nor especially why you'd call me names just for clarifying that I don't know this person and the term "Wishlist" is valuable to me. That is, if you were calling me names. It wasn't really clear who that was aimed at. For the record, I'm not a d**k, but I'm not a doormat, either.

I understand that some parts of the website were similar, but I also think that the blowback was harsher than I would expect from a community centered around teddy bears. There's a difference between insulting a person and pointing out things that you see as problematic. I'm speaking not about this particular instance, either. In the few months I have been lurking this forum (and from reading back through previous threads), sometimes the passion of Duffy fans turns more into poison for people not entrenched in this community, which can feel hostile or excluding to newcomers or lurkers. I can see that the community itself is very happy about Duffy, but I wouldn't consider this forum to be a safe space for those who don't want to step on eggshells.

I'm sorry if it seems rude, but it just seems problematic to me and I am going to express my concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    Wait… Who are you calling a d**k? Me? ILG? Gurgi? Aimster? Everyone? What did any of us say that warranted being called names, especially with language like that? It's [intensifier] really good advice, though.
    I apologize if you took offense to that. I was trying to reference one of the better-known axioms of the internet, commonly called "Wheaton's Law". I probably should have linked that comment with this or something explaining the reference, but I was incorrect in assuming that people would understand what I was referencing and would not take that as my own words.

I was not trying to imply that it was you yourself who did that. Most of the time you are pretty cool about people doing their own pick-ups... provided that they talk with you first. I agree that your objections about wishlist were valid, although I joined the conversation after that was already fixed and dealt with. Your personal feelings regarding the problems with the Happiness Express are valid, but as your opinion.

As for your comments about how "cruel and mean" and "horrible" this forum is, I don't know what to say. I am constantly moved by people here, including those who spoke up when they felt someone was trying to take advantage of a fellow community member, me.
    I would like to point out that I did not say that it was necessarily solely that. I was stating that it felt weird that two conflicting feelings could be given off by such a community. I find this place to also be very nice and wonderful, but at the same time, if you step on certain toes, there is often a backlash that is more extreme than necessary.

Also, I seem to vaguely recall you not liking something I said about some American release sometime in the past, I think it was around the first time you started posting. I have not been satisfied… No… I have been [intensifier] deeply disappointed by much of the US/global release because I think it has disrespected the artists and fans who brought Duffy to life, it has been of subpar quality, and it has lacked creative integrity. That is my [intensifier] opinion. The fact that I don't change my mind when someone disagrees with me doesn't make me cruel or mean or horrible. The fact that I express my opinions and the reasons for them doesn't either. I don't apologize for believing what I believe in, and I don't ask others to, either. In fact, I don't respect people who can't feel good about what they believe in even when it's challenged. That said, I've had plenty of positive things to say about US releases, when warranted…not that I am under any obligation to be satisfied with anything, ever.
    I am not saying that you can't disagree with how it is handled. I appreciate that you express critical views. But at the same time, it is a different market in the United States and they are handling it differently for a reason. I feel as if they could treat Duffy better, but at the same time I know that business is business and while I can hope that they will match OLC's high standards, that being optimistic about the improvements that they have been making in dealing with Duffy overseas will be more beneficial than just getting yourself worked up about it.

I know that I came off implying that you were a monopolist. Although I did not state outright, I didn't think that you were the problem. I though you were handling it fine, and in your responses to people also dealing in monetary transactions regarding Duffy items, I think it is reasonable. What I don't feel is as reasonable is the hostility that is taken on when people get up in arms over things that could have been dealt with differently. I will agree to disagree, but I also reserve the right to state my disagreements.

I'm not doing to apologize for my dick statement and while I am going to state that I meant for it to be more of a reminder than an accusation, I just wish that my reference had gone over better.

• Munchings & Crunchings

I guess I just don't get it. Comparing this forum to something like Youtube comments, or saying it's like walking on eggshells seems a bit overdramatic. For one thing, a MAJOR difference is that in here, nobody is personally insulting each other. For the first time, actually, in this thread somebody called people "d***s". Generally, though, we get passionate, but I really fail to see how this isn't a welcoming place with differing opinions. We have disagreements, and have voiced it. It's a "discussion" forum, so...people discuss Duffy, whether good, bad, or indifferent. Compared to the other sub-forums on MiceChat, I am having a VERY difficult time seeing the Duffy forum as any less friendly than any of the others. Plenty of passionate people post about how they feel WDW or DL should be run, and are none too friendly about it. I think our forum is pretty darn warm & fuzzy by comparison. If you're feeling unwelcome, then I really don't know what to say.

Once again, I would like to point out that I was referencing Wheaton's Law. But, as that does not seem to be good enough of an explanation, I will bow out gracefully and leave it at that.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

So...who's the d**k? Who's making personal insults? I'm not following somehow...? I get the vibe that you dislike me in a really personal way, but I'm really not sure why. For the record, you're totally not on my radar like that. I looked back through the threads and I was thinking of someone else who basically told me I wasn't allowed to have my opinions about the US releases because my opinions "hurt their feelings" or something like. I may be oversimplifying.

You're the awesome knitting pattern person! Now I'm really confused because you don't seem like the kind of person who goes around calling people d**k when you've only just met them, and you don't seem the type to start telling people how "horrible" their/you're (if you want it) community is when you've only posted in it 8 times, 2 of those to tell everyone how terrible they are. Or do you just mean me? I'm still not clear on that...?

I'm not sure what "eggshells" you're talking about and I'm not sure what "entrenched" means, but I think everyone in a dynamic and active forum allows for the possibility that people have as much right to passionately disagree with you as you demand to express your concerns and opinions to others. I don't think it's "problematic" for a community to be made of members who do not all see things the same way all the time. I feel like I'm just not really understanding where you're coming from, but it's not for lack of effort. Even though you seriously attacked a community that is "home" to me and (maybe? I'm just not getting clear on that...) called me a d**k, I'm still trying to understand you. I'm not sure who or what it is that you find "unsafe," but I would care about it if I knew.^^

I just wanna say one more thing that's more on-topic before I get away from MiceChat for the evening. I have just realized, plagiarism and audacity aside, what it is that really irks me about "Happiness Express," and this may be what bothered others so much, too. It's that no one asked for it.

If this person had sincerely been all about "supporting and helping the community," wouldn't they have dropped me a line asking if I needed help before posting that a service I designed was too "limited" to meet the needs of the community (right before copying everything about how that "limited" service works)? Wouldn't they have asked permission to copy my entire structure, or at least let me know that they were just going to take it? It's not "similar;" it's identical, except without the seasonal and community aspects. Wouldn't they have offered this "new" service only because members of this community expressed a real need for it, the same way Duffy Post was born? If there was any part of this that looked like someone trying to help someone other than themselves by doing something other than stealing a system I spent months and years building, it wouldn't bother me, and I doubt it would bother anyone else. It's how blatant it is. Which is why your defense is so confounding. The situation hardly seems like a moral dilemma.

This is very obviously someone seeing and attempting to seize an "opportunity" they can capitalize on. And that was, quite exactly and explicitly, what the Duffy Post was designed to combat. It is the very reason that it exists. People know that, care about it, and said so. I think that's a big win for this community, and I would think so if I didn't run the Post and had never been a WishLister. Of course, I can't prove that, though.^^

If just one person had been asking for it, or if this person hadn't just copied and simultaneously insulted what I've built, I might be more open-minded. But there's not a lot of gray area here.

And just for the record, ILG is right. There's not a lot of money in the Post. The workload relative to the money is truly awful most of the time, since a major part of its mission is to be the cheapest possible way to import. It barely pays for one's own Duffy stuff, and that's with a fairly large amount of people. I guess if someone weren't actually a collector and was just making a profit, it brings in a little spending money, but for the amount of hours and phone calls and transport and carrying and language shifting it requires, it's not a glamorous goldmine. The main joy is getting to be "the Duffy guy," but somebody who doesn't actually collect Duffy and who would steal it just cos it looks like low-hanging fruit isn't likely to get as much out of that as I do.^^

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast