• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

Big West Basketball Tournament in Anaheim

Ok, this could have gone in the Entertainment forum I'm sure, but here it is

The Big West Conference Basketball tournament is March 8th through March 11th at the Anaheim Convention Center. Even if you're not a huge fan of college basketball it's a great event, and the championship game on March 11th will be live on ESPN and the winner will go to the NCAA Tournament.

I know many of us went to one of the schools that will be participating, UC Irvine, Long Beach State, Cal State Fullerton, UC Santa Barbara, Cal State Northridge, Cal Poly SLO, University of Pacific and UC Riverside.

For those that aren't basketball fans, there are activities at Downtown Disney as well coinciding with the tournament. There is the Big West Mascot Mayhem Thursday, March 9th at 4:15. All 8 mascots will compete in various contests at the ESPN Zone. Friday, March 10th at 3:30 p.m. the Battle of the Big West Bands will take place in Downtown Disney. For those with little ones, the Big West Fun Zone has activities and games inside the Convention Center Arena.

For those interested check out the official Big West website. Also feel free to PM me for info if interested.

Come join me in Anaheim, I'll be cheering for the Anteaters!!

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: Big West Basketball Tournament in Anaheim

It's nice to see that the "Big West" has returned to the Convention Center in recent years, after having the tournament in the LA area.

It remains a great event, even if it's kind of sad to watch ESPN televise a final that's played before a largely empty arena if none of the SoCal schools are involved.

Permit me a memory...as a Titan alum from CSUF, I'll never forget the PCAA (pre Big West, Pacific Coast Athletic Association) 1978 Tounament...that's when the "Cal State Who" run began. The Titans beat arch-rival Long Beach State en route to losing by three points to Arkansas in the NCAA Regional finals (admittedly it was either a 32-or-40 team tournament in those days).

Long Beach State had the huge band back then, and played "Jesus Christ Superstar" as their theme...while Fullerton's band was a rag-tag bunch which played "Ease On Down the Road" from "The Wiz" as our theme..

Thanks for indulging me the remembrance.

And if you get a chance, take in some games...there's nothing like college basketball in March.

Barry

And I always got a kick out of the Anteater mascot.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry
    It's nice to see that the "Big West" has returned to the Convention Center in recent years, after having the tournament in the LA area.

It remains a great event, even if it's kind of sad to watch ESPN televise a final that's played before a largely empty arena if none of the SoCal schools are involved.

And if you get a chance, take in some games...there's nothing like college basketball in March.

Barry

And I always got a kick out of the Anteater mascot.
    I agree that it's great being in Anaheim, I do hate that more people don't take advantage of the great atmosphere of college basketball in March. There is no greater time of the year for me when it comes to sports. This will be my 4th straight year at the tournament at the ACC. Previously I've been down on press row doing stats or helping out ESPN with their coverage, but this year I may just be there cheering on my Anteaters, well not really "my" Anteaters, my teams are Golden Gophers and Sun Devils, but since I work for the team, I call them mine So to anyone out there, I strongly encourage you to check out a night or two of the tournament at the Anaheim Convention Center!!

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

Two nights down, two more to go! Tonight the semifinals Pacific plays Cal Poly SLO at 6:00 and UC Irvine faces Long Beach State at 9:00 p.m. The two winners will play Saturday night at 9:00 p.m. live on ESPN. I'll be there, will you?

Big West Tournament

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ