Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I live 2 miles away from Disneyland if Walt would've built it at Riverside and Buena Vista.

Re-Imagineering Blog

Last edited by Saddlesore Swanson; 02-27-2006 at 09:29 PM.

Re: Re-Imagineering Blog

[quote=America Stings]Anybody check out the Re-Imagineering blog?

quote]

Yes! It's very intereting, and I have to say I agree with the majority of what is being said! Here's hoping some real change will come, and soon!

• Banned User

Though the overtone of most of the posts was a little too whiny for my taste. I really want to see a vast improvement to Disneyland, but not by going backwards. Walt would have never stood for it and I don't think the imagineers should either. Almost every comment was a basic request to bring back or to revert back to and original attraction or what have you. Forget that! we need to be moving on to bigger and better things, not dwelling on the past. Pixar is looking for mistakes to avoid in the future and I think one of the best made points was, do not replace something if it's going to be the same or lesser quality than whats been replaced. I'm just glad to hear they aren't sweeping their mistakes under the carpet, they're trying to learn and grow from them.

I agree that they're whiny, but I think their concerns are common among many past and present Imagineers and fans that Walt's original vision of a family friendly, immersive theme park have gone the way of short term corporate bottom-line mentality. Whether one feels Disneyland quality started going down the toilet when Walt died, in the 1970s, 80s, or in the Pressler era, the shift has usually been away from immersive, musical attractions towards more thrilling, technological rides that tend to be shorter and less whole-family friendly.

Many of us have echoed the setiment recently that Iger, Lasseter and other new blood in the company represent a paradigmatic shift closer towards innovative, creative, and hopefully more classically Disney Imagineering. We'll never return to the days of America Sings style showmanship, but it seems far more likely that another Columbia tragedy of '98 or Critter Country's Pooh fiasco will not occur again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirton
    Though the overtone of most of the posts was a little too whiny for my taste. I really want to see a vast improvement to Disneyland, but not by going backwards. Walt would have never stood for it and I don't think the imagineers should either. Almost every comment was a basic request to bring back or to revert back to and original attraction or what have you. Forget that! we need to be moving on to bigger and better things, not dwelling on the past. Pixar is looking for mistakes to avoid in the future and I think one of the best made points was, do not replace something if it's going to be the same or lesser quality than whats been replaced. I'm just glad to hear they aren't sweeping their mistakes under the carpet, they're trying to learn and grow from them.

• Rock Star Minion

I'll probably post something later tonight.

I'll remind them of one of the main reasons why no new E-ticket attraction has been built in DL since Indy.
    Main reason: cost/benefit analysis, which is a good tool to use to determine whether investments should be greenlit. The goal of a new attraction is to get people to pay to enter the park to experience it. Current entrance policies prevent an attraction costing some $100-200 million to be built and to pay for itself via admissions. Current policies need to be changed so that an E-ticket can pay for itself. Once that's done, feel free to build out Big Thunder Ranch into the backstage area, and to showcase Tomorrowland with some real Tomorrow-y attractions.

I'll also remind them of the core market, one that should have no competition and thus there is no need to follow the marketing strategies of other so-called "competition."

Lastly, the adage, Nothing closed unless something new is to open," needs to be put back into its rightful place at the top of the decision-making process.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by fastpassmountain
    Many of us have echoed the setiment recently that Iger, Lasseter and other new blood in the company represent a paradigmatic shift closer towards innovative, creative, and hopefully more classically Disney Imagineering.
    I think I spell it "sediment," and with the "the." Common mistake, though.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by Dirton
    I agree, they seemed to dwell on the past and forgetting the Walt Disney himself was looking to bigger and better things. He was a perfectionist and if it wouldn't work he would change it. With new blood in Management and Imagineering, they are trying to return to that feeling of moving foward, and not going backwards.

Jeff Bezos, founder, CEO and President of Amazon.com makes a lot of decisions that don't seem to make a lot of sense when looking at the cost/benifit analysis of the traditonal business model I think sediment is referring to. It's this outside the box thinking that allows them to innovate and continue to thrive. Payouts should not be thought out in terms of returns in 1-3 fiscal quarters, they must be seen in terms of a much larger, long term strategy. Doesn't Coke or some other major corporation have a 20 and 30+ year plan on record (not publically, of course)? Disney is such a unique entity in the corporate world, especially its theme parks. They continue to shoot themselves in the foot by thinking of what their competition does-- they still set the standard. That said, if they're to continue down a DCA type path of greatest return for the cheapest possible investment, they're going to erode the 50 year legacy that is capable of such greatness and success. It might not come in five or ten years, but much later in the future it is not unfathomable the Disney theme park might no longer be the criterion of all other theme parks.

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    I'll probably post something later tonight.

I'll remind them of one of the main reasons why no new E-ticket attraction has been built in DL since Indy.
    Main reason: cost/benefit analysis, which is a good tool to use to determine whether investments should be greenlit. The goal of a new attraction is to get people to pay to enter the park to experience it. Current entrance policies prevent an attraction costing some $100-200 million to be built and to pay for itself via admissions. Current policies need to be changed so that an E-ticket can pay for itself. Once that's done, feel free to build out Big Thunder Ranch into the backstage area, and to showcase Tomorrowland with some real Tomorrow-y attractions.

I'll also remind them of the core market, one that should have no competition and thus there is no need to follow the marketing strategies of other so-called "competition."

Lastly, the adage, Nothing closed unless something new is to open," needs to be put back into its rightful place at the top of the decision-making process.

• Omnimover Groover

I think it's pretty good reading.
    People aren't successful because they have never failed.....they are successful because failing hasn't stopped them.

I live 2 miles away from Disneyland if Walt would've built it at Riverside and Buena Vista.

Last edited by Saddlesore Swanson; 02-27-2006 at 09:29 PM.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

I kind of laughed when I read that blog.

Although, some of the ideas were great, a lot of what is being said in that blog just came off as trite, pathetic Yesterland whining to me. I don't pretend to know what Walt Disney would have wanted, nor do I consider what he would have wanted in the 50s and 60s to be "the right way" ...But somehow I think he would disagree that Disneyland should revert back to Yesteryear. Walt Disney may or may not like the Disneyland of today, but I think one thing is certain - he would improve on the park no matter what in progressive, innovative ways instead of with nostalgic, bygone ideas.

I'm not saying that a lot of stuff now gone from the park wasn't impressive or entertaining to past audiences, nor that it would be for modern audiences. I can't say what the majority of the people will and won't like... but I think it would be better to bring NEW creative ideas to the park, new attractions, new stage peices, and new restaurants instead of all of the old stuff that this blog is requesting.

In their piece on Tomorrowland, they ask for the Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow that Walt Disney wanted us to look for... but to me, tomorrow is 2007, 2008, 2009. Not 1967.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Rainicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey
    In their piece on Tomorrowland, they ask for the Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow that Walt Disney wanted us to look for... but to me, tomorrow is 2007, 2008, 2009. Not 1967.
    I completely agree. Why look on the past when there is so much to be done with tomorrow? The original spirit of Disneyland was fun innovation; looking for new ways to impress and entertain families as well as have fun.... I know that blog has good intentions with its nostalgia but honestly, I think DLR imagineering needs to look to the future... while still keeping the spirit that Walt wanted.
    Well, light travels from the sun. Then, bounces off of our planet, and back into our eyes so we can perceive color. My body can intercept that light and dance around on it!

-- robotarmada.net --

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

My question is why there's not much mention to plus certain things that already exist...like, say, Toontown.

Ah well.

Last edited by Saddlesore Swanson; 02-27-2006 at 09:30 PM.

Last edited by Saddlesore Swanson; 02-27-2006 at 09:31 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast