Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Banned User

Re: New Jim Hill article regarding DCA's future

why is it according to the new management that disney has only had 5 hit movies over the years and they were really pixar? Disney is rich in both live action and annimated features but it seems all we are getting is pixar. why have another toystory ride when there is one already in tommorrowland? and a monster's inc already. and a bugs life, that's enough already. at one point there was talk of a little mermaid attraction I don't really think that would fit in dca. the theme areas aren't bad they just need attractions that fit them. and they don't need to be rollercoaster thrill either. it's really ashame that wdi can't use the main part of their name. their IMAGINATION and come up with cool rides that people would love to ride.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Cmash95
    why is it according to the new management that disney has only had 5 hit movies over the years and they were really pixar? Disney is rich in both live action and annimated features but it seems all we are getting is pixar. why have another toystory ride when there is one already in tommorrowland? and a monster's inc already. and a bugs life, that's enough already. at one point there was talk of a little mermaid attraction I don't really think that would fit in dca. the theme areas aren't bad they just need attractions that fit them. and they don't need to be rollercoaster thrill either. it's really ashame that wdi can't use the main part of their name. their IMAGINATION and come up with cool rides that people would love to ride.
    And more over why does every new ride have to be based on a film in order to justify the investment of capital? I mean really... Yes, you are trying to reduce risk of such an investment... But if you are clever storyteller like Lassiter, why not try something original or a new take on an older concept? Is WDI so creatively bankrupt that they couldn't come up with something original and exciting without co-opting on something popular synergisticly?!?!? They must be at a new low that no one, even people inside WDI, can trust what they produce anymore...

The problem with a Little Mermaid dark ride is that they blew their wad on including the film in DL, in a ways that are cheap and that I wouldn't have approved of... essencially an environmental area and a meet and greet... and in DCA with some minor thematic rides and restuarants in the Paradice Pier area...
    Last edited by cellarhound; 05-17-2006 at 04:16 PM.
    Check out my other blog:

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    And more over why does every new ride have to be based on a film in order to justify the investment of capital? I mean really... Yes, you are trying to reduce risk of such an investment... But if you are clever storyteller like Lassiter, why not try something original or a new take on an older concept? Is WDI so creatively bankrupt that they couldn't come up with something original and exciting without co-opting on something popular synergisticly?!?!? They must be at a new low that no one, even people inside WDI, can trust what they produce anymore...

The problem with a Little Mermaid dark ride is that they blew their wad on including the film in DL, in a ways that are cheap and that I wouldn't have approved of... essencially an environmental area and a meet and greet... and in DCA with some minor thematic rides and restuarants in the Paradice Pier area...
    Great post. I agree 100%

I think the problem with Disney's California Adventure is not in its theme or name. Its problem lies with the people who designed it and who are continuing to design it.

Disney's California Adventure park isn't a park where you can throw in film-based attractions haphazzardly and call it a day. I'm still disgusted that "a bugs land" is in this park. Not because it was built on-the-cheap with off-the-shelf rides.. but because computer animated bugs do not fit the California theme. It's absurd.

Disney needs to take a step back. It seems like they think people rejected DCA because it lacked Disney characters. But I think that's far from the truth. Guests rejected DCA because it was miserably underbugeted. The lack of substantial budget showed its mark on EVERYTHING: Themeing, attractions, etc.

Because most of DCA was theater attractions and underthemed off-the-shelf rides in underthemed areas, the public was turned off - not because of a lack of characters.

Disney - stop throwing in random Pixar characters to try to get people in the park. Make worthwhile, original, non-film related attractions that actually FIT the California theme.

Did you guys even research the state that the park is based on? Come on.. it's not hard. Go to any California 4th grade class and you'll learn more than your silly themepark has to offer. Then take a California History course at any community college. It'll open your eyes (and hopefully inspire you)

I recently took a California History course at Bakersfield College. My professor made fun of DCA. If a college professor feels the need to share his commentary on a terrible theme park in his class, then I can only imagine what normal guests are thinking/saying when they walk out of the park. It's time to fix things, Disney. And it's time to fix things right.

[/rant]

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• 6 kids before I'm 30!!!!

Why can't WDI build of something original...like waht they did with Everest. Why does everything here in CA have to be based on something pixar. I know we dont have the space but come on use some of that imagineering. Midway madness is not to appealing since we still have no idea what it will be like. Maybe if done right it might be great...but all im saying is orgianlity goes a long way. Everytime I see the ride Everest I think man thats awesome can we have those imagineers do the some rides like that here.
    With Jim Hill his just another one of those insiders that tries to differentiate themselves and stand out from the Marcies and Als. Don't always believe what you read on the web just see for yourself and make your own conclusions.
    We rock the party that rocks the party!
    We are truly a new generation of the Brady Bunch!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12