Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Jim Hill article regarding DCA's future

includes midway madness, and very small water show details

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hi...5/16/2407.aspx

sorry if somebody already posted this.

Re: New Jim Hill article regarding DCA's future

Sigh, I still don't think that is enough. I just feel like I'm at a cheap, urban, dirty amusement park while on the midway. There is nothing wrong with that, I love any park, but when paying top dollar to be at a DISNEY park, I feel kinda cheated.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

His quote from his WDI "Insider" is questionable. I simply dont buy that Disney Imagineers wouldn't want to create a detailed story-telling setting in a park that certainly needs it. Its not a vanity project - its really important to DCA's long-term success. Look at Disneyland - story-telling, detail-rich settings and environments coupled with quality attractions.

Both environment as well as attractions are important. I simply cannot see an Imagineer denouncing the Placemaking project...

Misjimformation?

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• white and nerdy

anyone notice that almost all of his sources start out all their sentences with the phrase, "The thing you need to know, Jim, is..."
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Yeah, if that source really is with WDI and that is their thought process than say good-bye to any remaining vestages of greatness.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O
    Yeah, if that source really is with WDI and that is their thought process than say good-bye to any remaining vestages of greatness.
    Yeah sad day. I hardly think that quote is real though. I love how Jims articles always have this big dramatic centerpiece in them. I can't possibly believe them. With the recent changes in STORY and ENVIRONMENT INSIDE attractions like the Jungle Cruise, Space Mountain, and Haunted Mansion I hardly think that Imagineering has ditched the idea of abandoning story and environment and backstory to the areas outside and around attractions. As Jim's "insider" said - What a crock.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Prefect

Blog Entries

didn't al talk about midway madness a week or two ago?

anyway, it's hard to tell exactly what disney is going to do 100% of the time, especially if you only rely on one person leaking things from the inside. obviously whomever jim hill spoke with at WDI is biased toward putting money into rides & not into themes and environments. he seems very bitter, which makes it hard to take his info at face value.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey
    Misjimformation?
    i love it!!
    Last edited by pixie chick; 05-16-2006 at 07:22 PM.
    <o>

• Animatronic

The Jim Hill article bothers me because it suggests that WDI just doesn't get it. The trick to saving money is not to be cheap, but to do it right so people will pay more, go more, and the changes stand up to the test of time. Forget synergy, forget place making, forget filler attractions. Think big picture. What does the midway need to be interesting? It needs waves, it needs isolated walks down by the water, it needs a restaurant on the water, it needs a period and a stronger theme, and it needs rides which not only stand on their own, but support that theme. Most importantly, it needs to not feel cheap or mundane and all the parts need to work together to make the whole better than the sum of the parts.

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by Lore
    The Jim Hill article bothers me because it suggests that WDI just doesn't get it.
    Take comfort, though, in the fact that Jim belongs to the "my best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with this girl that saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night" school of journalism.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• The one, the only...

I agree with Lore that it looks like WDI does not get it. I would add one thing. It looks like DCA is back to "let's throw another ride in and maybe people will like DCA now." Just one more ride, is not going to fix DCA. I know that Monsters was a hit, but that was because there were so few family rides. I know that a year from now, no one will be going to DCA to ride Monsters. They might go on it while they're there, but people will not make a special trip to DCA to ride it.

DCA does not have any heart. John Hench wrote that Walt Disney worked very hard to create Disneyland so that it would evoke an emotional reaction. DCA has none of that. I was hoping that DCA might transport people to a new time or place as Disneyland does. Now it will just build giant toys shooting at one another (or are we supposed to shoot the giant toys?). I know that evokes emotion! :sarcasm:
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Who's your DaddyB?

I have never been one to think that changing the front entrance of DCA was going to make it a park equal to Disneyland. I laughed at the thought of adding a Mickey fountain and some trees in the "Monster's Inc" area was going to make DCA a better place to visit.

In all, I'm agreeing with the imagineers. Adding well themed rides without so many corners being cut is the way to go. Retheming the front of DCA (and bring "golden dreams" theater up to replace the giant hubcap) is like flushing good money down the toilet.

It's scary how much faith I'm putting in John Lasseter and his effect on WDI. To answer Jim's last paragraph of the article, I do think "CARS" is going to be a HUGE hit and John is going to have carte blanche around Disney for quite some time... and he's going to deserve it.

Go ahead and push back the opening to Nemo, John. I'll take a 3 month delay if you're ADDING things, and not letting accountants and naysayers cut corners again and give us neon paint slapped on plywood cutouts with a large gift shop at the exit. THOSE are the people who don't "get it".
    ---------------------------------------------

a walk around the park... Star Tours, Nemo, Fantasyland, Frontierland, DCA... and more!

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by Lore
    The Jim Hill article bothers me because it suggests that WDI just doesn't get it.
    Exactly. The point of the placemaking is to give DCA the "feeling" it lacks. What sets Disney's parks above the rest is the atmosphere that you can just sit and enjoy. Can't do that at Six Flags or Paramount. Honestly, it sounds like his inside is Barry Braverman, except hes out. Lol. I mean WDI annoyed that the "newbies" want to remake DCA in thier own image? Well from what we've been hearing everywhere else most of WDI wants to remake parts of DCA.

What killed me though was the talk about MGM, how only us Disney Geeks would appreciate a new soundstage by Muppets so they'll put Midway Mania in where Millionaire is. But I say: then won't the average Pixar-Loving paying customer wonder why Al's Toy Barn and Pizza Planet are in one corner and the Toy Story ride is somewhere else totally?

I'm going to guess this is more Jim Hill spin from another "great" source...but I gotta go with Lore, if it is true WDI still is having issues or still has the wrong guys at the top.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by daddyb
    In all, I'm agreeing with the imagineers. Adding well themed rides without so many corners being cut is the way to go. Retheming the front of DCA (and bring "golden dreams" theater up to replace the giant hubcap) is like flushing good money down the toilet..
    Yes good rides help, but I for one sit and enjoy all the parks, and I think many people do. Running from great ride to great ride only can be so fun if you have to sit in a lousy area in between when you get tired.

•   
    • Minion

Blah, blah, blah.

Midway Maddness is, at best, as obscene as Placemaking... Someone needs to slap WDI upside the head... We don't need another Toy Story based ride...
    Check out my other blog:

I use to love the Jim Hill articles about rides that never got built but I really don't think he is a good source for future things to come. He basically just read the mouseinfo boards and wrote what Marcie said only he put a much more negative spin on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast