• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

The Matterhorn Chef

(Disclaimer: I have no financial or any other connection or interest in the restaurant mentioned below. This is just a recommendation from friend to friend.)

Tonight, Victoria and I had dinner at a truly unique restaurant, The Matterhorn Chef in Valley Glen, CA (sorta Sherman Oaks). For some reason, the place reminds me of Disneyland... is it the name? or the fact that it is so wonderfully themed? OK... I love old style red-booth restaurants. Even though this place has only been around since 1995, it feels like 1955 inside. The very Alpine decor is cheezy and wonderful at the same time. The staff is "Disney CM" friendly and efficient. German and Swiss dishes are the specialty but Continental (in other words: recognizable) dishes are offered, as well as pasta, seafood and even healthy options. The chef comes around and wishes you a nice dinner, the portions are huge and the food is really pretty good. Pork is the main ingredient here, along with sausages and saurkraut but lighter fare is also available. The meal starts with bread and a complimentary appetizer platter that will have you pretty filled before your entre is served. Sharing an entre is a very good idea. We had two entres (huge!) and a bottle of wine. The bill was $72 plus tip. Not a cheap place, but not out of this world, either. They have an accordian player on the weekends and occasionaly the chef himself will come out and sing a song or two. Schmaltzy, cheezy, tacky and wonderful. This is The San Fernando Valley, 1955. Check out their website at The Matterhorn Chef
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Minion

That place looks great, I love themed restaurants like this! It reminds me of further up north here in Michigan is a town called Frankenmuth...I. love. that. place. Some parts look, smell and feel just like Fantasyland! It's one of the upsides of living in Michigan.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by girl anachronism
    That place looks great, I love themed restaurants like this! It reminds me of further up north here in Michigan is a town called Frankenmuth...I. love. that. place. Some parts look, smell and feel just like Fantasyland! It's one of the upsides of living in Michigan.
    Just did a Google search and found Frankenmuth.org . Looks like fun!
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."

• Minion

Here's another restaurant for all Chatters in the Los Angeles area. One of the original themed dining spots with a history going back to the 1920s when Los Feliz Boulevard was a dirt road.

Walt Disney and his staff drove down the road from the studio so frequently for lunch that for years it was often referred to as the Disney Studios Commissary.

I've eaten there many times and it's always a wonderful experience. Lunch is good value with a sandwich bar and some of the best coleslaw I've ever eaten.

http://www.lawrysonline.com/tamoshanter_gen_info.asp

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

We've been meaning to get to the Tam O' Shanter. It looks like a great place. I was not aware of the Walt Disney connection!
    Thanks!