Seeking host families

As some members here may know, I am on the board of a non-profit educational foundation dedicated to promoting international understanding via the bonds of cultural exchange for students of high school age. At this time, we are still seeking host families for several of our exchange students.

The Academic Foundation for International Cultural Exchange was founded with the belief that increasing international understanding is a worthwhile goal. Students from around the world dream of learning firsthand about the American way of life and understanding what it is like to be part of an American community. AFICE brings those dreams to life by placing those students in loving, caring host homes.

I think it should be pointed out that the term "host family" can be something of a misnomer: Host families come in all shapes and sizes -- they do not need to have teens at home. They can be "empty-nesters" or single host parents. AFICE students are 15-18 years of age, have their own spending money, and are fully insured. As a host family, you provide room and board and a loving family atmosphere. Hosting can last anywhere from just a month or two as a "Welcome Family" to five months for a semester student, and on to over ten months when hosting a student for the school year.

The exchange experience is also an opportunity for you and your family to learn, grow, and share in another culture without leaving your home. Your student will become a part of your family and local community. You will have the chance to form a lasting bond with your exchange student. A bond that crosses international borders and world cultures. If you have children at home, they will learn a great deal about the customs and culture of another country. It has been said that the youth of today will be the leaders of tomorrow. Now is the for the young people of the world to learn to be friends.

Please visit www.afice.org if you are interested in hosting, and if you happen to know anyone who might be able to host, please feel free to copy this message and email it to them.

Thanks and regards,

--KDR

• insufferable know-it-all

Re: Seeking host families

Cool. I was an exchange student once, what a great experience.

(Don't have the room to host myself, but I hope some folks take you up on this opportunity)

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

Exchanges rule! I qwent to New zealand! And I waNT to go back!

Be host families! You;ll hae the chance to be the coolest people to some of the most interesting kids!
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

Thanks so much, Morrigoon and Tui. I've really been trying to get the word out there.

All the best,

--KDR