• I'm not really here

Disney JK Rowling?

First off, as with all unconfirmed things, take this with a grain of salt... but let's discuss. What do you think of this article?

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hi...0/16/6221.aspx

Disney doing business with Harry Potter?
    Disney working with Lord of the Rings?

Kind of strange to think about, but knowing how firm PJ and JK are in having their work done RIGHT, I think WDI would be given all the power they wanted in creating things. Could be fun.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Re: Disney JK Rowling?

This has been rumored for a long time, and this is the first semi-credible info I've seen of it. First off, Disney would be fools for not exploring the possibilty of a Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings attraction(s), and secondly, they should be looking into securing rights for both properties; because if they don't secure both lines, Universal or Six Flags will. And its in everyone's best interests--except for the competitors, of course--to have Disney make these rides or attractions, as Six Flags' idea of honoring a license is to throw it in a gift shop, and Universal's idea of themeing to a franchise is to paint a coaster green and call it a Hulk ride.
    Forget 'Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln,' Samantha Brown is Disney's most sophisticated animatronic.
    Tokyo Disneyland: 2009, 2012
    Disneyland Paris: 2010
    Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
    Universal Orlando: 2007, 2010 (twice!)
    Efteling:2011
    Lotte World: 2012

• I'm not really here

Update... JK Rowling rep has stated that this is false. Guess that puts that one to bed... again.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Disney needsa upgrade if they are going to continue to put people into the parks Indy was a major gotcha and Potter would be just as big just hope they don't wait too long
    AND TO THINK IT ALL STARTED WITH A MOUSE

A few miles from where Disney's America should have been

My biggest problem with this long-running rumor, and the reason why it was so clearly false, is that Disney already secured rights to a fantasy franchise that performed just fine at the box-office: Narnia. Why would Disney pursue a Harry Potter or LOTR attraction in the parks when that would directly compete with and dilute the Narnia franchise that Disney has yet to fully exploit? And it's really silly to say that because Disney is reaching out to Peter Jackson and WETA that means they are interested in LOTR. Jackson has no control over the LOTR property.
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter

• back in Austin

At first I thought, "how odd, that Disney would do a LOTR or HP attraction", but then I reflected on most every major film or attraction the studio has ever undertaken. They're always doing/redoing classic (read, non-original) storylines: Snow White, Pinocchio, Treaure Island, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Peter Pan, on and on....

It just feels odd at first that they are investing in current-day third-party stories.

More power to them, though. I'm an avid fan of both LOTR and HP, and if they do it right, I would be most delighted to experience either one of those attractions in the parks.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Doopey1 View Post
    My biggest problem with this long-running rumor, and the reason why it was so clearly false, is that Disney already secured rights to a fantasy franchise that performed just fine at the box-office: Narnia. Why would Disney pursue a Harry Potter or LOTR attraction in the parks when that would directly compete with and dilute the Narnia franchise that Disney has yet to fully exploit? And it's really silly to say that because Disney is reaching out to Peter Jackson and WETA that means they are interested in LOTR. Jackson has no control over the LOTR property.
    I would have said the same thing Doopey1, but then they are pushing Tower of Terror based on the Twilight Zone which is a CBS property...

I would rather not see a Narnia attraction... I don't think CSLewis would have approved of it... or of Disney owning the "franchise."
    Check out my other blog:

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    First off, as with all unconfirmed things, take this with a grain of salt... but let's discuss. What do you think of this article?

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hi...0/16/6221.aspx

Disney doing business with Harry Potter?
    Disney working with Lord of the Rings?

Kind of strange to think about, but knowing how firm PJ and JK are in having their work done RIGHT, I think WDI would be given all the power they wanted in creating things. Could be fun.
    FYI this post is in the wrong forum. It should go under "community" as it is a discussion and/or promotion of a Jim Hill article.

Yes, this is the continuation of the infamous "I got an email from this guy who has a cousin that might work at Warners who saw part of a contract that might have talked about Harry Potter and Disney, and that's all the confirmation I need to write an article" article. There's really no need to go into another tirade about Hill's sub-par "journalistic" integrity, or how he has literally made up quotes and facts in past articles. Or how he'll go back and edit his pages in which he has wrong information, and then later defend himself, claiming he "never" said that.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

A few miles from where Disney's America should have been

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound View Post
    I would have said the same thing Doopey1, but then they are pushing Tower of Terror based on the Twilight Zone which is a CBS property...

I would rather not see a Narnia attraction... I don't think CSLewis would have approved of it... or of Disney owning the "franchise."
    Well that's true, but Disney doesn't have any competing franchise that is similar. A better comparison would have been if Disney did Twilight Zone Tower of Terror when they already owned the rights to the Outer Limits.

But I agree with you about Lewis, and I think it holds just as true for Tolkien. But since we're probably already there I would just like to see Disney do something creative, fun, and respectful with it.
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter

• Random Cupcake Thief

Blog Entries

I don't necessarily knock the idea of rides based on Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings but I do have to say that I genuinely love these tales more than Star Wars or Indie therefore, these potential rides would have to be superior for me. Of course you can't compare a book to an amusement ride, that I understand, but these tales are so articulate that I don't know if an amusement ride would ever be able to measure up.

Harry Potter I would probably go for but LOTR, that's my baby, man. The intensity of that movie would be hard to emulate in a ride. It couldn't be a "Splash Mountain", "POTC" or "Indie" ride; it would be too boring.

LOTR might be a difficult one to capture in a ride. There definitely would have to be some extraordinary Imagineering for this ride to make it.

Then again, I don't ever doubt Imagineers.
    I suffer from infantile thoughts of grandiosity