I first learned about Banana Creme Twinkies are coming back by Good Morning America. But here is what Daily News has wrote about it.

Enjoy!

BY DAVID HINCKLEY
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
Friday, June 15th 2007, 4:00 AM

A wave of ambivalence washes over me as I contemplate the brand-new banana Twinkie in my right hand.

One bite is already missing, and from that bite I know that a Twinkie with banana-flavored filling, like the classic vanilla-filled Twinkie, tastes gooey, sweet and entirely artificial.

That is to say, it is everything a junk food snack should be. It confirms every warm Twinkie memory of my childhood.

Yet I hesitate.

There's something that's just not right about banana-flavored filling in a Twinkie.

Ironically, banana was the original flavor of Twinkie filling, back in the '30s. Then World War II caused a banana shortage and Hostess switched to vanilla. After the war, when both the lights and bananas came on again all over the world, the company decided not to revert.

Thus it was the vanilla Twinkie that became the junk food icon of modern America.

In fact, the Twinkie transcends food. It has become a metaphor for irresistible nothingness, for seductive and empty-headed pleasure, even for junk-food people.

When someone calls Paris Hilton a Twinkie, we all understand.

Moreover, the Twinkie has achieved this lofty status at least in part because it has kept such a sharp focus - in contrast to, say, the equally iconic Oreo cookie. Say "Oreo" today and people have to ask, "Which one? The frosted? The double-stuffed? The double-chocolate? The mint?"

Until now, the Twinkie has invited no such diffusion. There are no blueberry mango Twinkies. A Twinkie has been a Twinkie, not just another product chasing the fleeting whims of public taste, like flavored coffees or cell phone ring tones.

In terms of nutrition, if you'll pardon the use of that word in the same sentence as "Twinkie," the banana Twinkie isn't much different from the classic. It has the same number of calories, 150, and not enough actual banana to move the needle on your potassium meter.

Still, that's not the point. The point is that buying and eating banana Twinkies will encourage Hostess to keep producing them. Do we then become complicit in eroding a cherished piece of culinary Americana?

In other words, as I look down at my right hand, I have to ask: Do I take that second bite?

Oh, of course I do. What do you think this is, Aristotle contemplating the bust of Homer?

No way. This is a sweet tooth hovering over a stack o' sugar.

I take that second bite, and the third, and the fourth, and then it's gone and I unwrap another one. I inhale the primal Twinkie fragrance and eat that one, too.

Sometimes you can overthink these things.

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle...s_bananas.html